This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#937210 by vmike
03 Aug 2017, 22:32
Its being reported on another forum of which i am a member that VS are to wet lease 4 767 s during Oct and Nov. Its being further reported that they are to replace 787 s whilst technical issues are resolved. Apparently they will be based at LHR and cover the MIA/IAD/JFK routes mainly with only a VS FSM on board.

The info that is reported there is usually not far away . Its worth keeping an eye on if you could be affected.
#937213 by tontybear
04 Aug 2017, 01:14
What other forum? Please link to it so we can assess.

Depending on which plane it is people may want to rebook onto other VS flights.
Last edited by tontybear on 04 Aug 2017, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
#937227 by tontybear
04 Aug 2017, 12:06
Thanks for the link to the airliners net post - very interesting

Smid wrote:Reclining Upper seats likely?

If it's one of the usual DL TATL planes - which I would imagine it would be - when they'll be seats with full recline and no need to get out of the seat to flip it over to turn it into a bed! And TBH I prefer the DL seat over the VS one!

On that basis if my November VS flight to JFK was switched to a DL 767 I wouldn't be too dissapointed.

The main issue will be be for people booked in PE.
#937228 by SlimpyJones
04 Aug 2017, 13:10
tontybear wrote:Thanks for the link to the airliners net post - very interesting

Smid wrote:Reclining Upper seats likely?

If it's one of the usual DL TATL planes - which I would imagine it would be - when they'll be seats with full recline and no need to get out of the seat to flip it over to turn it into a bed! And TBH I prefer the DL seat over the VS one!

On that basis if my November VS flight to JFK was switched to a DL 767 I wouldn't be too dissapointed.

The main issue will be be for people booked in PE.

Agreed, Delta One is a decent product. I imagine they will handle PE passengers in the same way they did earlier this year when DL had to fill in some of the MAN routes, i.e. refund of fare difference, upgrades, etc.
#937234 by Jaydun
06 Aug 2017, 17:54
Ouch this is a bit worrying for me on two counts:

Firstly I'm flying PE LHR/MIA/LHR in mid September, I hope this is before the DL 767 plane swap occurs as I being quite big I would struggle with sitting in the Delta Economy or Economy+ product for a 8/9 hr flight.
(I would rather cancel but due to hotels and other commitments this is not an option).
Someone mentions that this happend out of Manchester earlier this year, can some enlighten me to exactly what and did any PE passengers get upgraded?

Secondly if the flight is not swapped and operated by a Virgin B787 should I be worried about the safety and integrity of this aircraft, there is talk of oil leaks are engine problems which is worrying me some what. I'm probably worrying needlessly but want some reassurance. If I'd have read the airliners.net article this morning and I was about to board a Virgin Dreamliner I'd by quite concerned.
#937236 by SlimpyJones
06 Aug 2017, 18:12
If my memory serves me right - anyone who was booked into PE on a flight that was affected earlier in the year was either offered compensation/a partial refund as Delta Comfort+ is not the same as Premium Economy, or they were bumped up to business class.

As far as the safety of the 789s, if the aircraft was unfit for travel, they wouldn't fly it. You have no reason to be concerned. :)
#937248 by daviis
06 Aug 2017, 21:58
Darren Wheeler wrote:if it happens, it will be a wet lease. The crew will mot probably be Delta as VS won't have flight or cabin crew certified for 767.

Could some please explain what a "wet lease" is to the total numb nut here !!

TIA
#937249 by mitchja
06 Aug 2017, 22:15
A wet lease basically means the aircraft comes with it's own flight deck and cabin crew so in this case these B767's coming from Delta will have Delta flight deck crew and Delta cabin crew on them all.

If there is going to be a VS FSM on-board as well, those FSM's will all have to go through B767 cabin/safety training first though before they can work on those B767's.

I really don't see what would be gained by putting a VS FSM on each A/C?

As already mentioned though, the biggest losers here without any shadow of a doubt will be any pax who have booked and paid for VS Premium Economy as DL have only recently started rolling out a full Premium Economy cabin on a couple of their aircraft on International routes, the rest of the fleet only has Comfort+ instead which is nothing more than an economy seat with an extra 4 inches of legroom at the front of the economy cabin.

I'd be seriously p*ssed off having paid for VS Premium Economy but ended up getting DL Comfort+ instead. >-( >-(
#937444 by Hamster
11 Aug 2017, 14:34
mitchja wrote:If there is going to be a VS FSM on-board as well, those FSM's will all have to go through B767 cabin/safety training first though before they can work on those B767's.

Not necessarily, if they are in addition to the Delta crew they don't need to be trained if they are purely there for service management (don't see the point really...), most 'flying chefs' have no qualifications for the aircraft they are on, they have no involvement in any safety aspects and act as a passenger in emergencies.
#937446 by tontybear
11 Aug 2017, 15:39
I can see VS wanting to have a member of VS crew on board just for reassurance of passengers who were expecting to be flying on a VS plane.
#937455 by getinjonathan
12 Aug 2017, 10:12
Quite some years ago I recall on a few occasions seeing VS crew on the now defunct Continental Airlines when they had a code share/partnership with VS.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if those Westwood uniforms are seen on these flights in Oct/Nov.
#937456 by Lucydog
12 Aug 2017, 12:59
My advise after if you get changed from a Virgin flight to a Delta flight and you booked PE on virgin, then accept no less than a first seat no compromise. I have complained to VH over my suppose PE got Comfort plus, booking on my Delta part of my trip, Not anywhere near Premium Economy and now looking at another trip for 2018, man/las VH - las/lax DL - lax/san DL - san/man VH. they are already offering me PE for VH with First for DL. Only do Upper for special trips plus I pay for 5 adults. We would have used Suv to go between hotels but don't have enough time to enjoy it, so need to fly. We pay enough money to go on trips, but do like a bit of comfort. Food does not worry me to much, I take meal deals on my flights now, I like wraps crisps and fruit for my lunch, but like the high tea service. Hope you get sorted out and have a great time.
#937476 by mrsw
13 Aug 2017, 19:37
Interesting. Potentially looking to book reward seats for a long weekend to NYC in Oct, likely in PE. Would've preferred the VS45/VS46 due to the timing and also the 789. Would I be wiser to book one of the other flights say on an A330 to avoid the potential hassle? Hmmm.
#937487 by oceanscape
14 Aug 2017, 08:25
I realise it's rubbish and not acceptable getting Delta comfort + or whatever it's called in place of PE but surely PE pax shouldn't be getting Delta ONE upgrades? How is that fair for those of us who saved up and paid for UC seats and could have just booked PE?
#937937 by honey lamb
31 Aug 2017, 14:42
oceanscape wrote:My November MIA 789 flight has had a schedule change and is now leaving earlier; not sure if that is related to this. Still showing as a 789 on the SeatMap.

It may well have had a schedule change because the winter schedule will have kicked in and sometimes there is a re-jigging of LHR slots
Virgin Atlantic