This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#937678 by DomBres
21 Aug 2017, 16:37
Hi All,

I'm flying UC from Manchester next week and understand that in the absence of a Clubhouse, UC travellers are permitted use of the Escape Lounge.

I've used the Escape Lounge at Manchester T1 & T3 a number of times and have always been adequately impressed. Yet, looking at recent reviews of the T2 Lounge, i'm slightly concerned by reports of guests being 'ordered' where to sit and people standing due to the lounge substantially overbooking.

Have any V-Flyer users visited the Escape Lounge recently, and can shed some light?

Thanks,

DB
#937680 by mitchja
21 Aug 2017, 17:13
I certainly didn't experience anything like this when I was in the T2 Escape lounge back in May. Whilst is was quite busy, there where still enough places to sit and I wasn't told where I could or couldn't sit either?
#937681 by Kraken
21 Aug 2017, 17:45
In my visits to the Escape Lounge since the refurbishment (circa 18mths ago?) we've never been told where to sit.

Yes, in the mornings when it is busier with business class passengers from varying airlines, they do like to try and keep the far side from the entrance for business class passengers & the side closer to the entrance for paid-guests. You are, however, free to sit wherever you like.

There should be a VS staff member in the lounge (normally a pregnant & thus grounded staff member). They will generally show you round the lounge & give you a VS Upper Class card to put on your table, so they know who to look out for if they need to pass on updates about any Virgin flights.

The standard breakfast offering in the lounge is a bacon or sausage cob (one serving per passenger) + normal breakfast buffet items (toast, pastries etc). There is a pay-extra breakfast menu, which becomes free of charge if you present an Upper Class boarding card at the order point when ordering.

To be honest, when on the later VS73 to Orlando I thought the lunchtime food offering in the Escape Lounge was much better - a good buffet spread of sandwiches, cheeses, cold meats etc. Did not look at the pay-extra lunch menu back then as it was still pay-extra at the time.

Whilst the Escape Lounge is no Clubhouse (we'll have to wait a year or two for one of those as the T2 expansion works happen) it is much better than sitting downstairs in the main departure lounge level. I do, however, agree that at times the lounge is seemingly very full. It does make you wonder how many people they allow in on paid access in the morning peak-time. On my last visit there was a notice outside the lounge entrance stating that all access for Priority Pass [or similar] passengers was suspended due to capacity issues. A Priority Pass passenger makes the lounge very little money - a passenger paying £21 for entrance makes them a nice profit (especially if they are a child who will eat little & drink no alcohol).
#937682 by mitchja
21 Aug 2017, 18:06
That same 'sorry we are full' sign was in place when I entered the lounge in May as well, even though it wasn't really full to start with.
#937686 by horburyflyer
21 Aug 2017, 19:53
I've also never experienced anyone telling me where to sit or indeed have seen anyone standing. As others have said, it can and does get very busy. Since earlier this year I know the escape team have been using the smaller 'escape lounge' down the corridor for pay for access customers and the larger lounge for business class and status guests of their airline customers (VS being the largest customer of course!)

I've taken a few VS127s this year which departs currently at 1340 and I agree the all-day menu (from 11am) is a very generous buffet indeed. Don't forget at anytime of the day, Prosecco is complimentary too along with the full bar and if in UC do make full use of the items from the a la carte menu which are complimentary on presentation of your UC boarding pass.

It might not be a CH but I've grown rather fond of the escape lounge in T2 and the team there.

Jon
Virgin Atlantic