This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#937695 by Wilbs
22 Aug 2017, 07:29
Just booked our domestic flights with delta for a tier run before the changes happen on the 1st sept, when booking it said that the fare had increased so proceeded with the new option as it was only a little more. Just need some advise as looking at the booking schedule this is what we have,

DL 1883 MCO-ATL 20 MARCH 11.20-12.50 FIRST (A)
DL 2897 ATL- CVG 20 MARCH 14.27-15.54 FIRST (A)
DL 2897 CVG-ATL 20 MARCH 16.39- 18.13 FIRST (G)
DL 1166 ATL-MCO 20 MARCH 19.55-21.31 FIRST (G)

As the ATL-CVG AND CVG-ATL have the same flight number, will this void having tier points awarded for each sector there and back, so will we only end up with 75 tiers and not 150 we hoped for?.

sorry is this has been mentioned before just need some info before hand in case we need to cancel this booking before 24hr are up :mrgreen:

thanks.
#937697 by SlimpyJones
22 Aug 2017, 08:10
Hmmm, that's very strange, I've never seen the same route (and the reverse of it) share a flight number. It's normally an A-B-C, e.g. DL11 is LHR-MSP-DEN.

I honestly don't know the answer to this myself, but worth bearing in mind that TPs are award on a per sector basis so you'd get 75 for MCO-ATL, 75 for ATL-CVG, etc. The worst case scenario here is that you'd get just one set of TPs & miles for the ATL-CVG & CVG-ATL legs which would give you 225 TPs, best case is the full 300 TPs.

With that in mind, would you be happy with 225? If so I'd leave it as is and chance it - if not, if it were me I'd play it safe and cancel and rebook on something else that definitely has different flight numbers. Your call though :)
#937699 by Wilbs
22 Aug 2017, 08:27
It is strange & I haven't seen this before either. I do need the Tier points for that sector so looks like I will have to cancel, just annoying as it took me a while to find that route as Delta has a habit of putting their price up after you have put in all your details. >-(
#937703 by tontybear
22 Aug 2017, 11:54
In the US it's quite common for back to back flights on the same route to have the same flight number (and sometimes multiple flights the same day on the same route)

This is different to a flight say LHR-JFK-SFO having the same one (even if there is a change of plane)

The former will get you TPs for each flight but the latter wouldn't