This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#938913 by Jojocole
06 Oct 2017, 20:39
Long time lurker 1st time poster so apols if the question has been regularly asked. Im booked on VS93 May 2018 taking off on a Thursday. I looked on the VS website Monday to price the same flight for a friend and to my dismay it said there were no seats available in the class I wanted, even though I didnt put in a class.....panic!

I gave it a couple of days kept checking and kept getting the same answer, checked for other Thursdays and the same message appears, also the same for Saturdays towards the end of the month. I've phoned Flying club and Virgin Holidays to ask whats going on and all they have said is they have not heard the flights changed but they are unable to book seats.....more panic! The best they can say is give it a week or so and check again :-(

I am worried to say the least that the flight is about to be cancelled or have the schedule change.

From past experience am i right to be concerned?

I have booked the hotel separately and on looking at that the price has risen impressively since I've booked just to add to my anxiety.
#938916 by SlimpyJones
07 Oct 2017, 10:29
I've also had some seat-related oddness, on all but one of my booked trips every seat in PE & UC is taken and most in EC, which suddenly has appeared overnight.

Suspect a gremlin in the system!
#938917 by virginboy747
07 Oct 2017, 11:05
There will only be one CUN a week in summer ‘18 as a 747 is moving up to Manchester for the summer. Not sure which day the CUN will be going
#938919 by Jojocole
07 Oct 2017, 14:18
Thank you for your replies.

So the email mail received this morning confirmed our cancellation, Cancun will be on a Tuesday only from mid May, Thursdays will not go at all over the summer period :-(

After several calls to both VA and the flying club it would appear that I can not change my flight to June without incurring the charge for the difference in the fare, that equals about £1200 altogether for four of us travelling each way in PE. Quite shocked at that I have to say. They said that because it goes into a different month/season and its not the next best available I need to pay the difference.

I did explain that I didn't cancel the flight and June is best for me but no budging.

Really disappointed now in the whole thing, I expected them to try harder to please the customer ;-(

So Im now booked onto the flights they transferred me to but unable to reserve our inbound seats, and all I can be guaranteed is that the kids will be sat with an adult!
#938924 by gumshoe
07 Oct 2017, 16:01
In the event of a cancellation more than 14 days out, under EC261/2004 passengers are entitled to "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats."

You may want to call back and remind VS of their obligation under EU law.
#938925 by Jojocole
07 Oct 2017, 18:36
Thanks Gunshot that makes interesting reading, I can't see it stating anywhere whether I'm liable for the difference in cost which Virgin say I am, where do I stand there?

Thanks
#938936 by Jojocole
08 Oct 2017, 12:53
Well good news. Spoke to Virgin FC again this morning with a question regards our seats as we didnt have any assigned (PE), the lady could not guarantee the plane would not be over booked and we would definitely sit in that cabin. So again I said that a June flight was more convenient for me and reminded them of their own policy re cancellation and the EU Legislation (thanks Gumshoe) and low and behold after the second time of checking with a supervisor they changed it :-D :D :-)

Can now look forward to our holiday again, a little out of pocket due to hotel going up in price but at least we are going when we want to go!

Thanks all :D
#938980 by NYC123
10 Oct 2017, 06:38
Guess the reduction in service to one day a week on this route means the chance of 4 reward seats is pretty much nil now then.

Also it seems utterly bizarre that they'd pull this service over the summer months? Who comes up with these ideas?

Like pulling flights to Lapland in December...
#939099 by wilsiwoo
14 Oct 2017, 14:52
Well, well...... we have just come back from Cancun on the Thursday flight and it was packed both ways in PE and UC, only a few empty economy seats. I also contacted virgin Atlantic while I was out there as we are looking to book for next year and they told me they were flying 3 days a week all summer!! Clearly someone at virgin hasn’t got the memo.

I will agree with fellow posters it is the most bizarre decision I had heard of in a long time, to go from 3 flights a week to 1 . Looks like we won’t be flying with VS next year.
Virgin Atlantic