This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#938920 by Fordie
07 Oct 2017, 15:11
Hey all.

I am thinking of heading out to LA for 3 weeks stopping at Vegas during that time.
I contacted VH to see if they could help give a quote for the trip flying upper class but they have told me that this route has stopped UC cabin?
Is this correct?

My only option would be to fly into Vegas UC and start the holiday there moving onto la before driving back for the return flight home...
#938921 by gumshoe
07 Oct 2017, 15:22
No, it's absolutely not true. All VS aircraft have an UC cabin and LAX has strong demand for UC.

Sounds like a case of HUACA to me (hang up and call again).
#938922 by Fordie
07 Oct 2017, 15:34
I thought this route would be popular as it’s LA! They said all they had was premium economy available so I’m thinking they want a quick booking!
When will the UC seats be released online so I can take a look myself?
I do like the layout of the smaller 14 seat cabins as me and my other half try to get 6a,6k so what other seats would be recommended for LA?
I’d rather fly to LA that Vegas this time around.
#938923 by gumshoe
07 Oct 2017, 15:52
Flights go on sale 336 days in advance.

LAX tends to use the Dreamliner with a much larger UC cabin.
#938931 by pjh
08 Oct 2017, 09:09
Fordie wrote:I thought this route would be popular as it’s LA! They said all they had was premium economy available so I’m thinking they want a quick booking!

In your original post you said you contacted Virgin Holidays. They may well have sold out of their allocation of UC tickets for the dates you gave them. As others have said the best route to securing UC is to get in touch with Virgin Atlantic.
#938941 by ColOrd
08 Oct 2017, 19:31
Virgin Hols are quite expensive for Upper Class to the west coast compared to booking direct! My Christmas trip has cost me a fair bit more than it could have done had I not gone through VH!
#938990 by Fordie
10 Oct 2017, 12:49
Thanks for the replies :-) .
I was dealing with a shop through email and they said they were told the wrong info from aviation which I find hard to believe. They did say they have no allocations until 11 months prior.

I have been considering doing the trip DIY as I want to move around hotels so I’m not driving hours to theme parks ect.

Just have to wait now.
#938996 by marshy11
10 Oct 2017, 16:47
If departure is 11 months out, the "shop" could be correct. From memory I don't know the exact number of days, but flights are not released until 11 months out.
#938997 by tontybear
10 Oct 2017, 17:55
marshy11 wrote:If departure is 11 months out, the "shop" could be correct. From memory I don't know the exact number of days, but flights are not released until 11 months out.

VS releases flights 333 days in advance.

However V Hols can and does sell holidays with flight dates farther out than that.

But whenever I've look I've not seen V Hols sell UC as part of a trip but will price up an upgrade when asked. That is what could be getting the shop assistant confused and the thought that VS had stopped UC on that route.
#939028 by NV43
11 Oct 2017, 22:58
'I have been considering doing the trip DIY as I want to move around hotels so I’m not driving hours to theme parks ect.'

I would certainly advocate a DIY trip.

You have complete flexibility, can frequently find some really good hotel prices and, also, add in car hire through an independent.

The only drawback is that you run run a very small risk of losing the cost of the first night of your accommodation, if the outbound flight is severely delayed, as the trip is not booked as a package.

In close on 2 million miles of VS travel, we've lost one night when a flight from LAX (RTW Air New Zealand) was cancelled due to crew illness.

In retrospect, I guess we could have claimed on our travel insurance (ensure you have a good policy) but, as we were placed in a decent hotel close to LAX and our hotel credit was way above what we could physically eat and drink, we didn't bother.

NV
Virgin Atlantic