This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#938967 by ctbarron
09 Oct 2017, 16:50
OLCI issue - 1 out of the 4 pax on a single PNR cannot check-in online. My wife as it so happens. This is on LHR-IAD. I'd hope we could just bypass the counter as we are not checking bags, but I guess not.

In the past when I couldn't OLCI is was all pax. I've never seen just one denied. Any reason to worry? Or just a random event?
#938975 by tontybear
09 Oct 2017, 19:48
Does she have an ESTA?
#938978 by Nottingham Nick
09 Oct 2017, 20:45
I am with Sealink - I had exactly the same on the way to BOS last week. I checked Wife and Son in but couldn't check in myself. When I got to the airport check in, I was I was going to be subject of a secondary search at the gate.

A completely fruitless exercise. Having pre-warned me, I was hardly likely to try and get anything dodgy onto the plane!!

Nick
#938985 by ctbarron
10 Oct 2017, 11:08
Sealink wrote:Probably randomly selected for SSSS which is just an extra security check.

Yes, this was it. Agree with Nottingham Nick on the effectiveness.
#938988 by gumshoe
10 Oct 2017, 12:24
One assumes the thinking is if it's well known that there's a realistic prospect of being selected for secondary screening, would-be terrorists will be put off trying anything.

But as with many airport security measures, it's largely theatre. The real, intelligence-based security happens behind the scenes, long before you get to the airport.
#938989 by dickydotcom
10 Oct 2017, 12:47
gumshoe wrote:One assumes the thinking is if it's well known that there's a realistic prospect of being selected for secondary screening, would-be terrorists will be put off trying anything.

But as with many airport security measures, it's largely theatre. The real, intelligence-based security happens behind the scenes, long before you get to the airport.

We had this scenario earlier this year. On line check in good for me. Mrs D couldn't. I suspected secondary check. and sure enough she is pulled aside at the gate. I remain with her and the rather officious lady doing the check told me to leave. I refused politely saying, 'that's alright. I wait here for my wife thank you.' We are very careful not to be carrying on any prohibited items, but had we been they would have been in my bag as we suspected she was going to be checked anyway.
Dick D
#938994 by tontybear
10 Oct 2017, 14:16
Not being able to do OLCI does not automatically mean SSSS.

I had 'unable to OLCI' last week with AA but that was because they needed to do a document check - check my passport prior to international travel - and not because I was down for SSSS. Same if you need an ESTA or the Australian or Canadian equivelent and don't or there is a problem with it.

Ticket changes / upgrades that haven't been fully sorted / paid for is another reason.

As is having a name similar to one on a 'watch list' and they want to verify your ID.

And sometimes having requested the exit seat does too - so they can check your eligibility and if necessary reallocate you before your bum is in the seat rather than once on the plane.

And lets remember the majority of people don't even do OLCI check in and of those that do they'll just think 'blooming IT' and be more worried about whose looking after the cat and if they have enough clean pants.

And security is intelligence led. Remember the authorities know who is due to fly on every flight and If they want to pick someone up it might even be before they get to the airport.
#938995 by mitchja
10 Oct 2017, 16:10
Getting SSSS does still allow you to OLCI, it just won’t issue you a boarding pass.

As others have already said though, SSSS is a pointless exercise and if they’d do find anything, that just means the main security check points at the airport missed it anyway.
#938998 by Kraken
10 Oct 2017, 18:04
mitchja wrote:Getting SSSS does still allow you to OLCI, it just won’t issue you a boarding pass.

As others have already said though, SSSS is a pointless exercise and if they’d do find anything, that just means the main security check points at the airport missed it anyway.

Completely agree - the SSSS process is more of a waste of space than the TSA (& that takes some doing!).

What is the point of printing the SSSS on the boarding pass? Anyone with bad intent will know this means you are going to have your hand luggage searched in detail at the boarding gate. If you're up to no good & see the SSSS, you'd either alter your plans or just no-show for the flight. It's the barcode on the boarding pass that makes the light go green/red at the gate - so why not just issue the online (or airport issued) boarding pass with no SSSS warning on & make it an effective layer of security?

It's all doubtless a rule that the USA impose on anyone wanting to fly to the USA. The airlines have to comply, or not fly. Of course, the USA see themselves as being the World and oh-so-safe. A bit like how if you have a connecting flight on arrival in the USA you have to clear TSA security as the USA don't trust other countries airport security. In some cases, I can understand this, but UK airport security is pretty robust (more so than the TSA in my experience).
#938999 by gumshoe
10 Oct 2017, 18:13
Kraken wrote:If you're up to no good & see the SSSS, you'd either alter your plans or just no-show for the flight.

In which case, job done surely?
#939000 by tontybear
10 Oct 2017, 20:02
Kraken wrote:
It's all doubtless a rule that the USA impose on anyone wanting to fly to the USA. The airlines have to comply, or not fly. Of course, the USA see themselves as being the World and oh-so-safe. A bit like how if you have a connecting flight on arrival in the USA you have to clear TSA security as the USA don't trust other countries airport security. In some cases, I can understand this, but UK airport security is pretty robust (more so than the TSA in my experience).

The UK requires people to reclear security as well. There are some exceptions from domestic airports but not if you have to change terminal so fly MAN-LHR-JFK there is no security check if flying on BA as it's all T5 (and the US has no problem with that). But fly AA from T3 then you wlll.

When flying the reverse you do go through security - UK dosen't trust the US!

But the UK does have a transit system which the US dosen't have so no need to clear full immigration or collect bags.
Virgin Atlantic