This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#938991 by Fordie
10 Oct 2017, 12:52
Hello.

I have been thinking about trying to go Orlando at the start of January before going back to work so I was wondering if there is a chance to get a reward seat going UC?

If so what miles would it cost me to do miles + money?.

Worth a shot to make 2018 start well :-P
#938993 by SlimpyJones
10 Oct 2017, 14:05
It's perfectly possible! The key to it is to be as flexible as you can be date-wise, and also bear in mind that the 747s used for Orlando have only 14 Upper Class seats, so availability will be scarce. The best thing to do would be to check regularly.

As far as the costs go, the miles will depend on seasonality. The prices and seasonal dates live here. I'm not sure about the cash cost off the top of my head, around £400-450 I believe in taxes and fees.

Alternatively if you have no luck finding an award seat you could do an actual Miles & Money ticket, which is to exchange 3,000 for £18 off your ticket. You can do as much of that as you like, and you'd still earn miles & TPs afterwards.

:)
#939009 by dickydotcom
11 Oct 2017, 08:14
I have done Upper on miles several times now, but always as soon as the seats were first issued.
As said there are only 14 seats so reward seats are quite scarce.
I would never use miles + money unless I had an awful lot of miles and nothing else to do with them. It is probably the worst return. They will charge you £15 per 1000 to buy and give you £6 back to spend them.

Dick D
#939010 by mdhayes
11 Oct 2017, 09:45
weridly there seems to be loads of UC reward seats in may/june next year. June you can pick almost any day going out. Sadly i used mu PE vouchers so stuck in PE.
#939014 by DaveVal
11 Oct 2017, 15:47
mdhayes, in the hopes it is useful, I was able to upgrade 4 seats (having used my PE upgrade vouchers). FC simply cancelled the PE flights and returned the vouchers to my account and used the miles difference from economy to upper. Keep an eye on the difference in taxes-I was overcharged and needed to request a refund.

OP- I've seen seats outbound around Christmas Day but I've not seen many early Jan. Later January yes.
Virgin Atlantic