This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#939034 by chumba
12 Oct 2017, 08:28
Has anyone flown Delta One LHR-JFK?

If so what was it like, how did it compare to VS UC?

Am looking at reward flights and the Delta One is being offered on an earlier flight that VS UC so was contemplating trying it, but as its a big surprise for the family (who wont know they are going until the day). And they've all wanted to fly VS UC. I don't want it to be a bit of an anti climax if we go Delta One and it doesn't meet their expectations.

Thanks
#939035 by SlimpyJones
12 Oct 2017, 08:41
Yes, I have. I was very impressed. Here is a trip report I wrote of Delta One on LHR-ATL, which goes into a lot of detail about the seat and the onboard service.

Just to mention though, that as of May next year DL are switching their LHR-JFK, ATL and DTW aircraft from 767-300s to A330-200s which have a different kind of seat, so not everything in my report may apply if you are looking at those kinds of dates.

Here are some more:

DL403 JFK-LHR
DL59 LHR-BOS
DL421 JFK-MAN
#939041 by pjh
12 Oct 2017, 10:45
Not yet...but have it planned for around New Year and am very much looking forward to it. I'll miss the bar, but it will be fun to sit side by side with MrsPJH (both legs will be in the dark so a window won't be missed) and you still get DTCI, CH and Arrivals.
#939043 by tontybear
12 Oct 2017, 11:11
It was a few years ago (so DL were in T4!) But I was very impressed. I wrote a couple of TRs at the time.

I had done a post on here like yours just asking for a bit of reasurance I wasn't going on to some ancient plane.

Yes there is no bar but the main differenence is the seat goes from upright to bed without having to get up and flip the thing over and is far more adjustable. foof and IFE were comparable with VS if not better.
#939056 by chumba
12 Oct 2017, 18:33
SlimpyJones wrote:Yes, I have. I was very impressed. Here is a trip report I wrote of Delta One on LHR-ATL, which goes into a lot of detail about the seat and the onboard service.

Just to mention though, that as of May next year DL are switching their LHR-JFK, ATL and DTW aircraft from 767-300s to A330-200s which have a different kind of seat, so not everything in my report may apply if you are looking at those kinds of dates.

Here are some more:

DL403 JFK-LHR
DL59 LHR-BOS
DL421 JFK-MAN

Thanks for the reply and info, very informative. The aircraft is shown as a A330-200 for the dates we are looking to travel.
#939057 by chumba
12 Oct 2017, 18:34
pjh wrote:Not yet...but have it planned for around New Year and am very much looking forward to it. I'll miss the bar, but it will be fun to sit side by side with MrsPJH (both legs will be in the dark so a window won't be missed) and you still get DTCI, CH and Arrivals.

Fortunately i won't miss the bar as i'll have two children to look after :-)
#939059 by chumba
12 Oct 2017, 18:37
Thanks to everyone for the replies, some good observations, i wouldn't expect any less, and has helped make the decision. Delta One it is
#939060 by SlimpyJones
12 Oct 2017, 18:40
You're welcome!

The seatmap for the A332 is here.

Main difference is the reverse-herringbone layout so the seats face away from the aisle rather than straight forward like the B763s :)

I have to say I like the look of that smaller second cabin!
#939072 by DoomWolf
13 Oct 2017, 11:59
In August I flew Delta One LHR to Philadelphia (757) and Salt Lake City to LHR (767). The 757 had a more private cabin feel as it's a 2-2 layout with the seats angled towards the windows, but I felt the seats were better on the 767 with the 1-2-1 layout where we opted for the middle two.

The IFE screens are large and clear, seats are comfortable (with arm rests on both sides) but the bed is harder than in UC as there's no flip over to a softer side. If you do fully recline while seated, you do have to do a bit of a shuffle as the seat is moving forward. I didn't like the pillow though as it wasn't breathable enough and got too hot with the side of my face on it.

The crew service was outstanding though. Plenty of attention, bottles of water, hot towels, drinks and food. You don't need to choose your starter as you get them all on a tray. All the food was very good, better than UC in my limited experience, and they were more than generous with the drinks. My wife's wine glass was kept topped up and I did like the way I was handed a second miniature bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel to go with the one I'd had poured. I guess that's how the crew attempt to ensure everyone goes to sleep quickly. :)

With access to the CH and Revivals (if you land in time), I wouldn't hesitate to fly Delta One again.
#939073 by lovetoholiday
13 Oct 2017, 12:05
Yes, we did return trip to JFK in August this year. We changed from VS as the seat config was better for us as travelling with a 9 year old.
We were very impressed, they feed you constantly, seats/beds are comfy. The staff were all lovely. I slept for 3 hours (a first fro me on an aircraft)
Plus you still get all the VS benefits - club house etc.

The Delta Skyclub at JFK was not good though, we trekked all the way back to the VS CH instead - much better !

Go for it :)
#939074 by horburyflyer
13 Oct 2017, 12:57
I'm a big fan of Delta One. Personally the seat I find very comfortable and sleep really well. The food and beverage offer is very plentiful, the only weak link is the IFE in my opinion but most certainly not a deal breaker.

I really do think DL try really hard with their Delta One product and it shows. I've had some great CC too who have been chatty and engaging.

I always highly recommend them.

Jon
#939133 by McCoy
16 Oct 2017, 16:52
Timely.
Having never flown Delta - never mind Delta One - my VS flights to ATL next month have just been switched over to DL (and an upgrade from PE to Delta One..!).
Which Delta aircraft likely to be on the LHR-ATL route next month?
#939140 by McCoy
16 Oct 2017, 18:12
Is that good?!
(Sorry - I’m fluent on every VS seat combo for about the past 20 years, but I’ve paid zero attention to Delta. Until now!)
#939141 by SlimpyJones
16 Oct 2017, 18:34
Sure, I think it's a good seat and many others here agree! Posted a little further up are a few trip reports that have been posted on the site, from myself, Sealink and horburyflyer.
Virgin Atlantic