This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#939280 by kilgallon84
25 Oct 2017, 14:21
Hi all, ill be flying off to Orlando next month with a soon to be 3yr old. We tried it with her car seat last year but her feet ended up being too close to the seat in front in economy and the poor people in front of her got a nice back kicking every time she moved.

So this year she's just gonna be in a standard seat.

Two questions:

I've seen these inflatable foot rests / hammocks you can get to put in the gap in front of the seat so she can put her feet up to relax / have a sleep (please god let her sleep) but does anyone know if Virgin Atlantic allow them? I can see them being an issue if we end up in a middle row but hoping to get her a none exit row window seat. Has anyone had any experience with these / known if they are accepted or not?

Example : https://www.flylegsup.com/kids-fly-legsup-info :D

Second Question, if she puts her mind to it she has been known on occasion to wrestle her way out of her car seat so i cant see a standard airline seat belt being much of a challenge. Does anyone know if they offer any additional seating options (like an addition 3 point harness attachment or booster ) for kids?

Many thanks in advance.

M
#939281 by virginboy747
25 Oct 2017, 15:16
Hi there no they are not allowed on virgin at the moment so you wouldn’t be able to use any kind of device like that I’m afraid

They also don’t offer anything other than the standard seatbelt as anything altering the seatbelt wouldn’t be CAA approved sorry.
#939282 by McCoy
25 Oct 2017, 16:26
kilgallon84 wrote:Example : https://www.flylegsup.com/kids-fly-legsup-info :D

That looks terrific!

Obviously it shouldn't be used during take-off or landing, but I'm puzzled why an airline would ban them otherwise. It's just a more refined implementation of sticking all your hand baggage in front of the seat as a foot rest - provided it's a window seat, so not blocking any pax.
#939286 by tontybear
25 Oct 2017, 20:06
McCoy wrote:

That looks terrific!

Obviously it shouldn't be used during take-off or landing, but I'm puzzled why an airline would ban them otherwise. It's just a more refined implementation of sticking all your hand baggage in front of the seat as a foot rest - provided it's a window seat, so not blocking any pax.

The positioning of these is such that depending on the seat pitch and how they are installed they can prevent the seat in front from reclining or damage the seat - from the looks from the picture part is actually attached to the seat in front.
#939289 by Fuzzy14
26 Oct 2017, 13:26
There's also another system that is a flat padded board that converts the seat into a lie flat bed, that's also not allowed.

Having flown frequent with children of all ages, the standard seat, seatbelt and pillow will be fine. I'd recommend not going for the bulkhead seat as the arm rests are fixed, better to have a row of 3 or 4, lift the arm rests and let them spread out.

One other issue you may have is the LCD will be too high for her and it tilts upwards (to compensate for the chair in front reclining) but not downwards. The viewing angle isn't great, so you might have to actually sit her on something to view the screen.

You should also consider booking the Bubble, in particular 79ABC or 80HJK as it'll give her more room to play but you have to make sure she doesn't go a wander and tumble down the stairs.

I've done quite a few trip reports flying with kids to Orlando, give my username a search.
#939301 by kilgallon84
27 Oct 2017, 10:15
Fuzzy14 wrote:There's also another system that is a flat padded board that converts the seat into a lie flat bed, that's also not allowed.

Having flown frequent with children of all ages, the standard seat, seatbelt and pillow will be fine. I'd recommend not going for the bulkhead seat as the arm rests are fixed, better to have a row of 3 or 4, lift the arm rests and let them spread out.

One other issue you may have is the LCD will be too high for her and it tilts upwards (to compensate for the chair in front reclining) but not downwards. The viewing angle isn't great, so you might have to actually sit her on something to view the screen.

You should also consider booking the Bubble, in particular 79ABC or 80HJK as it'll give her more room to play but you have to make sure she doesn't go a wander and tumble down the stairs.

I've done quite a few trip reports flying with kids to Orlando, give my username a search.

Alas i think we are to late for the bubble (begrudged having to pay to reserve seats before the online checkin now as you never used to) but i may might the bullet next time!

Good call on the arm rests, i forgot some of the ones close to the window are fixed. Do you know if they have any booster seat style options for the kids to watch the screen or is it more of a sit them on a pillow job? To be honest i'm gonna load her tabet up to the brim with stuff so hoping it won't be too much of an issue.
#939302 by kilgallon84
27 Oct 2017, 10:28
McCoy wrote:

That looks terrific!

They are great aren't they? The link i shared was a fancy one but i was (enphasis on the WAS now) thinking of something like this which is just the inflatable: http://www.jetlagandmayhem.com/help-me- ... ot-review/
#939307 by Fuzzy14
27 Oct 2017, 13:32
kilgallon84 wrote:Alas i think we are to late for the bubble (begrudged having to pay to reserve seats before the online checkin now as you never used to) but i may might the bullet next time!

Good call on the arm rests, i forgot some of the ones close to the window are fixed. Do you know if they have any booster seat style options for the kids to watch the screen or is it more of a sit them on a pillow job? To be honest i'm gonna load her tabet up to the brim with stuff so hoping it won't be too much of an issue.

Might get lucky if it's a quiet flight.

We've managed to get by with bringing together all our pillows, maybe you could get an inflatable booster? Virgin don't provide anything.

The issue with the arm rests on the bulkhead seats is the TV and tray table is fixed into them. This means you can't watch IFE with the seatbelt signs switched on, and the tray tables are smaller and easier to drop stuff off. You also can't lift the arm rests if your child is sleeping to lay them across two seats (head on your lap.)

Try and split the journey into small segments so take off, watch a film, eat, sleep, go for a walk, watch a tv show. Just be prepared for constant interruptions. It typically takes me 4 hours to watch 1 film.

I recommend pre-ordering the childrens food. It's usually not up to much, like chicken nuggets and macaroni but it gives you more options. I normally end up eating the kids food because they've taken a shine to my chicken curry.
#950729 by CharlotteS
04 Jun 2019, 20:59
I realise this post is very old but does anyone know whether Virgin are now allowing fly legs up? My sister has some and has offered to lend them to us for our upcoming flight to Orlando but don’t want to bother lugging them with us if we can’t use them. Many Thanks.
#950752 by Fuzzy14
06 Jun 2019, 13:25
A search of the @virginatlantic twitter feed shows that Virgin still do not allow them (as at 21/1/19) however I've also seen photos of people using them onboard so perhaps some crew are turning a blind eye. I wouldn't like to put the crew in that situation.
#950758 by Bluebear
06 Jun 2019, 17:25
We flew recently JFK-LHR and went to use an inflatable kids footrest (by firstclasskid) and was told that we couldn't use it. The cabin crew said that there are so many different types of products on the market that they can not keep check on if they are safe or not, so they now have a 'blanket' policy not to allow any. The crew were very polite but very firm that it couldn't be used.
Virgin Atlantic