This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#939334 by chris9642
29 Oct 2017, 12:51
Hi,

Looking for some help making a decision as its been a long time since I have flown economy.

I have an Upper Class flight to MIA in a few weeks time for an onward connection to Bahamas. I could not get miles availability for the return so ended up booking a Premium Flex ticket with Norwegian. Miles seats are available for the return now with Virgin but only in Premium (only centre seats available so not an option) or in Economy from MCO - I would make a significant saving by cancelling my Norwegian ticket but not sure I can manage a flight in economy - whats the upper deck like on VS in economy as seats are showing available ? Upper looks fairly empty on the MIA flight but currently nothing available - another option I suppose would be to book the Premium Seats and hope for something to open up on MIA but if it does not we will be left with a nightmare seating arrangement (split up and centre seats in bank of 3)

Decisions decisions ....... ;)
#939349 by chris9642
29 Oct 2017, 18:37
I just booked the VS Premium reward seats that were available - saved me over £1k from the Norwegian flights although had to settle for seats not together and in the middle - bulkhead seats are not taken but obviously not available to select - what do you think the chances are of being able to get these seats (and therefore sit together) at check in?

Im just hoping Upper opens up - its an A340 and theres currently 21 seats showing free!
#939350 by SlimpyJones
29 Oct 2017, 18:39
To be honest I think this is a question only you can answer. What's more important to you, the significant cost saving vs. dealing with economy seating for eight hours or so?
The upper deck generally gets good reviews thanks to the smaller and quieter upstairs cabin. You'd probably get less noisy kiddies if I dare say so :P
#939359 by CommanderB
30 Oct 2017, 04:34
Keep checking to see if upper availability opens up. Also ask at the airport, as often when Y and W book up, some G's open during check in which is really useful for status passengers. VS do this as a last ditch attempt to avoid Op-Ups. I exploit this strategy regularly.

Get to the airport early and try to get bulkheads, there is a decent chance if there are no babies in W.

I'd avoid upper deck as it takes longer to disembark, but it does feel special. But it depends on preference. I prefer to be off ASAP as I do HBO and want to avoid getting caught in the chaos.

Bets of luck.
#939360 by WPIL
30 Oct 2017, 11:19
Recently done a trip report on Norwegian Premium - LAX to LGW
I would place Premium between PE and UC on VS (of course much nearer to PE then UC if that makes sense!)

Also it will be a 787 if that is important (I really didn't notice a difference).

Did also use Economy in row 6, bit of a mistake as should have picked row 10.

Recommend taking your own food as portions were small, so I hit the MandS at Gatwick and ate in the lounge at LAX.

Have had exit rows in Economy booked with Virgin a few times but always ended up being able to Upgrade and upstairs in Premium was fine as well although not as good as the mini cabin with 6 seats on a jumbo with the old seats but that was at least 10 years ago.
Virgin Atlantic