This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#939661 by mitchja
18 Nov 2017, 13:09
I'd booked my annual Fly Drive to Miami over the New Year via Virgin Holidays with VS Premium Economy flights back in January.

This morning I noticed that VS switched the A/C from a B789 to a A346 for the VS5 flight (the VS6 is still showing a B789 so far but I suspect that will now change in a few days time as well).

With those extra seats in the J cabin, I was pleased to see VS had also released at least 1 G reward Upper fare. I've been checking reward flights to/from MIA for the last few weeks.

I've never done this before with a V Hols booking especially since V Hols fares never used to be upgradable using miles, but most now are.

It is a bit of a faff but is still do-able. V Hols usually book you in a H fare for Premium Economy flights (which with the new system is now upgradable using miles). Not sure what class they book you in for Economy though sorry?

Before VS can upgrade a V Hols booked fare using miles though, you first have to make sure V Hols have ticketed your VS flight booking. This doesn't normally happen until around 4 weeks before departure and this obviously won't happen at all until you pay your entire V Hols holiday balance (which is due 12 weeks before departure).

As I'm flying Dec 28th and I'd already paid my fly-drive holiday balance which was due by Oct 5th, V Hols where officially due to ticket my flights around the end of November. After a quick call to them, they contacted their flights department who ticketed my flights manually. V Hols called me back this morning after about 30 minutes to say they had done this for me.

I then called Flying Club and went through the standard procedure for upgrading flights using miles. 28,700 miles and ~£43 in fees lighter, I'm now on a G fare for the outbound VS5 flight to MIA :cool:

Once VS process the upgrade, they will issue you a new e-ticket number, which they have already done for me this morning.

If you find reward inventory before you have paid your final balance with V Hols i.e. more than 12 weeks before departure), you will need obviously have pay the holiday balance first before V Hols will ticket the flights and once V Hols ticket your flights either manually or automatically, no further changes can be made to your holiday booking (apart from these types of miles flight upgrades).

I'll be checking daily now to see if the same thing happens now for the VS6 flight (which again I'm currently booked in Premium Economy).
#939700 by jlholmes27
20 Nov 2017, 08:31
Interestingly I am in the process of doing this for my honeymoon next year!
Its worth noting that although our outbound flight has been released, the return flight is still too far out and both need to be in range for VH to issue the tickets and therefore VS to process the upgrade.
This will be our first VS Upper Class experience so we're both really excited - hence trying to get the upgrade as soon as the flights are released!