This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#939976 by PaulS
01 Dec 2017, 10:16
This should not really affect VS as they don’t operate short haul aircraft. The 23kg is also a bit o& a red herring. I use the same two pieces of hand luggage and the cont3nts and weight can vary depending on how long I’m away but even on a hang baggage 7 day trip to HNL I still couldn’t get my larger bag anywhere near 23kg. I think the group system works well on AA but I still witnessed a spat last week in the states between crew and passengers over locker space shortage due to the lockers being stuffed with second bags. This is where airlines need to clamp down. As a poster above stated airline bashing is becoming the new sport.
#940050 by Eggtastico
04 Dec 2017, 08:10
There is no quick way to fill a plane, because there is always somebody standing in the isle getting out their book/newspaper/tablet ready for the flight.
Like they didnt have 2 hours before boarding to prepare what they needed.
Everything I need a carrier bag. Cabin bag into overhead compartment, sit down & take my seat. If I dont have a window seat, then I purposely wait to board later so I dont have to get up & down like a yoyo when other Pax board.
#940055 by pjh
04 Dec 2017, 14:45
Eggtastico wrote:There is no quick way to fill a plane, because there is always somebody standing in the isle getting out their book/newspaper/tablet ready for the flight.
Like they didnt have 2 hours before boarding to prepare what they needed.
Everything I need a carrier bag. Cabin bag into overhead compartment, sit down & take my seat. If I dont have a window seat, then I purposely wait to board later so I dont have to get up & down like a yoyo when other Pax board.

As winter draws nigh and passengers are now wearing coats this makes the process even more convoluted and puts locker space at even more of a premium. Like you I prepare and have what I need in my laptop bag, which goes under the seat in front. One of the further problems is that passengers pay no heed to the idea of stowing anything under the seat in front, so those on easyJet that pay for two bags will often put both in the overhead.
#940109 by deep_south
08 Dec 2017, 01:17
Personally I don't really understand the "bag goes under the seat" brigade, my feet go there and the remaining space isn't really enough for a bag as well.... Having said that I only travel with one laptop bag and that isn't going into the hold and certainly doesn't fit under the seat with my feet. Short haul carry on is crazy nowadays and continues to get worse, my long haul is usually PE so not usually an issue for me.
#940111 by pjh
08 Dec 2017, 08:32
deep_south wrote:Personally I don't really understand the "bag goes under the seat" brigade, my feet go there and the remaining space isn't really enough for a bag as well.... Having said that I only travel with one laptop bag and that isn't going into the hold and certainly doesn't fit under the seat with my feet. Short haul carry on is crazy nowadays and continues to get worse, my long haul is usually PE so not usually an issue for me.

Depends how short the short haul is. 40 minutes to AMS is fine for not having to put my feet under the seat in front, and also means my laptop isn't subject to the crushing forces arising from people slamming hard shell bags around in the overhead lockers to make space.
#940112 by ken54
08 Dec 2017, 10:28
The thing I find most a annoying is that I always pay for my bags to go in the hold. and when I get on the aircraft I am asked to put my very small bag under the seat, this I always refuse and insist it go's in the overhead locker pointing out that I have paid for my bags to the hold, so my ticket cost more and I don't see why my foot space should be compromised >-( >-( >-(
#940115 by pjh
08 Dec 2017, 16:26
ken54 wrote:The thing I find most a annoying is that I always pay for my bags to go in the hold. and when I get on the aircraft I am asked to put my very small bag under the seat, this I always refuse and insist it go's in the overhead locker pointing out that I have paid for my bags to the hold, so my ticket cost more and I don't see why my foot space should be compromised >-( >-( >-(

I must admit I swerved the BA tagging of laptop bags with a "to go under the seat" on my recent return trip to Mumbai....and both ways the lockers above the seats were very sparsely occupied...
Virgin Atlantic