This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#940601 by clarkeysntfc
07 Jan 2018, 20:33
We have some flying club miles and we're looking at burning them for an UC trip down to Jo'burg in August '19.

Unfortunately the section of the Virgin website where you check availability has been rendered almost unusable. I can see a few award booking slots on there but it's rather hard to browse.

What's the view on here regards UC availability on this route? Seems to me like it's quite a tough one.
#940603 by pjh
07 Jan 2018, 23:28
clarkeysntfc wrote:We have some flying club miles and we're looking at burning them for an UC trip down to Jo'burg in August '19.

Unfortunately the section of the Virgin website where you check availability has been rendered almost unusable. I can see a few award booking slots on there but it's rather hard to browse.

What's the view on here regards UC availability on this route? Seems to me like it's quite a tough one.

I looked at this a couple of years ago and gave up on the idea of any reward availability. Also
isn't it too early to look for August 2019 - I thought the maximum period forward was somewhere around 330 days?
#940619 by clarkeysntfc
08 Jan 2018, 14:08
Thanks both.

Yeah , I am aware that I am a touch early. Reason for the timing is that we currently have 230k FC miles (enough for 2x UC returns to US East/South). I'm in two minds as to whether we should keep accruing miles via the AMEX card until we reach 270k, or cancel the cards now and stick with what we have.
#940642 by pjh
08 Jan 2018, 23:23
clarkeysntfc wrote:Thanks both.

Yeah , I am aware that I am a touch early. Reason for the timing is that we currently have 230k FC miles (enough for 2x UC returns to US East/South). I'm in two minds as to whether we should keep accruing miles via the AMEX card until we reach 270k, or cancel the cards now and stick with what we have.

All I can speak to is my experience, and that was of virtually no reward availability (and high prices) for the JNB route over August.
#940647 by NYLON
09 Jan 2018, 00:35
If you're set on a particular date/cabin ahead of time, then it's tricky. I fly the route fairly frequently, and UC reward availability almost always comes up, but only very late (i.e. the day before). For example, as of this writing (9 January), LHR-JNB has UC availability for 10 & 11 January, then nothing until 29 January, 13 Feb etc.
Virgin Atlantic