This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#940759 by hunterdwmgzt
13 Jan 2018, 17:01
Does anybody know whether the Air Berlin aircraft are to be used on Gatwick-Caribbean routes?
The reason I ask is that booking through Virgin Hols recently, I got no option to select PE seats, only Economy or Upper. I looked at several different dates and destinations and all seemed the same.
#940763 by mitchja
13 Jan 2018, 17:49
VS have listed all the routes included dates that will be using the A330-200 A/C here (expand the Aircraft program changes section for more details)

Several LGW routes are included in this.
#940774 by hunterdwmgzt
13 Jan 2018, 22:40
That probably explains it, though it only mentions Spring changes. Presumably this will continue into summer and autumn as these were the dates I was looking at.
#940982 by mitchja
20 Jan 2018, 13:44
I've just been looking at flights from MAN in December to FLL via either JFK or ATL and VS are not selling Premium Economy on any of those either, even though the website says the A/C type is an A333 and the website states dates for the A332 usage of between March and July 2018.

VS have come back to me and said that because they still don't have any firm plans for refitting the cabins on the ex AirBerlin A/C they are still unsure if or when Premium Economy seats will go on sale again.

I'll just book from LHR rather than faffing around with any MAN routes this year until I know these A/C have been refitted with the VS product.
#941153 by deep_south
24 Jan 2018, 16:00
I see there is a similar issue on (at least some) LGW flights; we are going to St Lucia (UVF) in October and no PE is showing at the moment. Does anyone have any idea when VS might be able to "firm up" their plans beyond the already announced summer A330-200 schedules? I guess VS don't know themselves yet.
#941158 by hunterdwmgzt
24 Jan 2018, 17:41
Spoke to Virgin Holidays and was informed that they were not currently offering PE on any of the Gatwick-Caribbean flights for this summer. Maybe all the 200s are going to be put on Caribbean routes?
#941210 by airconbob
27 Jan 2018, 14:03
Full list of affected flights at : https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/tr ... -news.html.
G-VMNK is I believe at Manchester, G-VMIK is at Cambridge (For painting?) Good luck if you've boked PE from Manchester or from Gatwick/Caribbean during the changes. Hopefully PE will be re-instated soon, but the aircraft will still be 18 years old. Another example of VS view of holiday traffic, but good to see them spending compensation from RR frugally.
#941216 by mitchja
27 Jan 2018, 15:53
airconbob wrote:Full list of affected flights at : https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/tr ... -news.html.

It's effecting many more flights than what VS list there as well. People including myself are not seeing any Premium Economy availability for a lot of 2018, right up to December on many routes ex-MAN.

No Premium showing for JFK or ATL in Dec from MAN even though the A/C is listed as an A333, yet VS mention no dates later than July in the message:

VS.jpeg
VS.jpeg (262.07 KiB) Viewed 14752 times

If you ask them, VS openly admit via social media or via reservations that they are not selling Premium Economy on many ex-MAN or routes in 2018.....because basically they have no idea if or when Premium Economy / Upper Class will be fitted to the A330-200's!

As I've said several times before, I'm avoiding flying VS ex-MAN now for the foreseeable future until they sort this mess out.
#941218 by deep_south
27 Jan 2018, 16:53
And I note my LGW to St Lucia flights in October are operated by "Virgin Atlantic International" and it states (as in the screen shot above) that UC and PE is only available on "Virgin Atlantic flights"... so some movement toward the LHR and LGW legal split maybe? Or just VS don't yet know what to do about PE and the Air Berlin planes...
#941219 by mitchja
27 Jan 2018, 17:18
The Virgin Atlantic International thing is slightly different. It’s been around for a couple of years now operating flights mostly to the Caribbean and Las Vegas.

It uses standard VS A/C with standard VS crew but they just have a VS9xxx flight number. Everything else is as per any other normal VS flight.

No-one ever got the the bottom of this seperate VS company being set-up and operated? I think it’s more an accounting thing rather than anything else.

I think the statement you mention in my screen shot is more aimed at journeys that include DL flights (or other partner airlines).
#941221 by deep_south
27 Jan 2018, 17:56
mitchja wrote:The Virgin Atlantic International thing is slightly different. It’s been around for a couple of years now operating flights mostly to the Caribbean and Las Vegas.

It uses standard VS A/C with standard VS crew but they just have a VS9xxx flight number. Everything else is as per any other normal VS flight.

No-one ever got the the bottom of this seperate VS company being set-up and operated? I think it’s more an accounting thing rather than anything else.

I think the statement you mention in my screen shot is more aimed at journeys that include DL flights (or other partner airlines).

But my flights are not on Delta... LGW to UVF direct in October, and the same message is shown.
#941255 by VS075
29 Jan 2018, 10:15
mitchja wrote:I've just been looking at flights from MAN in December to FLL via either JFK or ATL and VS are not selling Premium Economy on any of those either, even though the website says the A/C type is an A333 and the website states dates for the A332 usage of between March and July 2018.

VS have come back to me and said that because they still don't have any firm plans for refitting the cabins on the ex AirBerlin A/C they are still unsure if or when Premium Economy seats will go on sale again.

I'll just book from LHR rather than faffing around with any MAN routes this year until I know these A/C have been refitted with the VS product.

I've booked to fly VS MAN-JFK late-November in Economy. Living less than 45mins from MAN direct flights trumps most other factors and we're flexible enough to fit our plans around VS' schedule, particularly as it's just Economy on this occasion, plus they were cheaper than Thomas Cook and United's direct options and indirect options were not any cheaper when looked into for comparison purposes.

Anyway, PE was showing as available when I booked the flights earlier this month, yet now when I price up the flights on the same dates PE is no longer available despite the flight still being down for an A330-300.

I'm keen to select seats as I don't want to be sat in the middle 4 seats, but right now I'm a bit reluctant to pay to select seats until there's more certainty about whether it will be a -200 or a -300. I've not looked into the detail, but are the ex-Air Berlin Economy config's on the -200's vastly different than VS' -300's? I also hear they're only 30" legroom versus 31" - can anybody confirm this?

I understand PE is popular from MAN and I'm concerned that VS are going to lose a good chunk of business for as long as PE is showing as unavailable for longer than they have publicly stated until now how long PE will not be available for on certain ex-MAN and ex-LGW routes.

As an aside, if I was to book Economy on the same dates the fare is now over £200 more expensive and, for us, about £100 less than what we paid per person for the trip when 4 nights accommodation is factored in to our overall cost.
#941264 by hunterdwmgzt
29 Jan 2018, 14:05
airconbob wrote:Full list of affected flights at : https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/tr ... -news.html.
G-VMNK is I believe at Manchester, G-VMIK is at Cambridge (For painting?) Good luck if you've boked PE from Manchester or from Gatwick/Caribbean during the changes. Hopefully PE will be re-instated soon, but the aircraft will still be 18 years old. Another example of VS view of holiday traffic, but good to see them spending compensation from RR frugally.

Are the A330 200s really 18 years old?
#941265 by mitchja
29 Jan 2018, 14:50
Pretty much yes, D-ALPA (which is now G-VMNK) was originally delivered in May 2001.

Aircraft age is not really an issue though anyway as every aircraft is taken apart and basically rebuilt during its D-check approx every 6 years.

G-VBIG (VS’s oldest aircraft) is now ~22 years old. G-VAST isn’t much younger at ~21 years old.
#941275 by matt.hibb
29 Jan 2018, 17:21
One thing I have been wondering is whether VS will 'trial' the 200s before they enter service in March? Wouldn't that be the normal thing for an airline to do when a new type enters the fleet? I know the 200 is going to be very similar to the 300, but still would have thought they would want to dip their toe in 1st.
#941279 by mitchja
29 Jan 2018, 18:07
I very much doubt it at this late stage seen as at least one of them is already in VS colours.

Perhaps they where trialed earlier in the process?

I believe the A332’s also don’t have RR engines either so that’s something else VS engineering are going to have to adapt to (yes I know the 744’s dont have RR engines either) but this means another engine type to now deal with.
#941280 by airconbob
29 Jan 2018, 18:17
Hope they don't trial them on my next flight (PE).
Replacement 332 have P&W engines, 747's have GE CF6's so a nice mixed bag.
Similar to cars and truck, age of airframe is not a safety issue if well maintained, but the economy, comfort and reliability move vastly in 18 years. Fleet age is a big consideration and these ac will dilute the existing fleet .
Driving 18 year old vehicles can be extremely economical (profitable), but not many people want to do it for the same reasons.
For some reason the 747 beats the logic, I am sure most of us would only be too happy, but sadly time will soon catch up with them. I suppose it was way in front of its time.
Fleet average age is currently 8.1 years these will bring it nearer to 10 years compared to EasyJet at 7.6 years.
#941283 by SuttonTravel
29 Jan 2018, 19:10
Update received from VS this evening; (apologies if already posted elsewhere)

Introducing the first of our four new Airbus A330-200

Today we have unveiled the first of four new Airbus A330-200 to join our fleet. “Daydream Believer” (G-VMNK) arrived into Gatwick for finishing touches before it enters into service in March 2018.

Over the next few weeks “Scarlett O’Hara” (G-VWND) and “Honky Tonk Woman” (G-VMIK) will also join the fleet with “Strawberry Fields” (G-VLNM) joining in spring 2018. To celebrate the arrival of these new aircraft, we’ve also released a special time-lapse video of the transformation into Virgin Atlantic livery.

The 287 seater Airbus A330-200 are fully Wi-Fi enabled and will initially operate flights from Manchester to New York, Boston, San Francisco and Barbados. They offer a choice of 19 fully flat beds in Upper Class, 46 extra leg room economy seats, and 222 economy seats – all with Zodiac inflight entertainment showing over 600 hours of films, TV shows and music.

The unique Upper Class cabin introduces three new seat styles for Virgin Atlantic customers to choose from - the Love Suite, the Freedom Solo Suite, and the Corner Solo Suite – all with direct aisle access. Customers will also be able to select from a special barista style coffee menu; receive free messaging, and an improved amenity kit featuring ‘Happy Socks’.

The A330-200s will be fitted with Virgin Atlantic’s premium economy cabin towards the end of 2018, featuring the signature Wonder Wall.

Phil Maher, EVP Operations for Virgin Atlantic, said:

“We’re thrilled to be welcoming four A330-200s to the Virgin Atlantic fleet this March. These aircraft will add resilience to our flying programme in light of an industry wide shortage of Trent 1000 engines used on our Boeing 787 aircraft.”
#941311 by Edward T
30 Jan 2018, 13:15
Hi
I am due to fly MAN - SFO in August. The dates for the 200 planes are only currently up to end July. Any idea whether this means they are still to schedule the aircraft for August. I rang VS to ask them and they said there were no further plans to amend routes which is hard to believe. They said they will need the 300 for the extra capacity?
#941319 by mitchja
30 Jan 2018, 17:55
It’s now pretty much being extended to October, though will probably extend past that as well going off the zero Premim Economy availability right up to the end of 2018 on many routes
(It’s easier to just do a screen dump of the email rather than copy/paste):

C18BDEE6-3798-4EB9-BE61-512BA21CAD4D.jpeg
C18BDEE6-3798-4EB9-BE61-512BA21CAD4D.jpeg (132.91 KiB) Viewed 13703 times
#941321 by Edward T
30 Jan 2018, 18:14
Thanks. Are these confirmed now as the lady at VS said it wasn’t changing. I currently have 4 UC seats booked. Any idea how they will reallocate in the different cabin. We are travelling as a family so ideally want to have the central seats but I assume other people going on holiday will want the same.
#941322 by mitchja
30 Jan 2018, 18:45
That’s the info VS are now sending to travel agents, so yes it is as good as confirmed.

Why VS have not yet updated their passenger website is anyone’s guess though??
#941343 by Edward T
31 Jan 2018, 12:26
Thanks. It’s pretty staggering that they are sending different information to travel agents than their call centre staff are giving out directly. I am expecting to be flying on the 200 but I’m not sure how we try and make sure that we get two pairs of seats if the call centre staff seem convinced that it’s still the 300 that will be flying.

Any tips from anyone?
Virgin Atlantic