This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#32 by kb3535
29 Nov 2003, 00:27
Hi,
I'm a silver flying club member with a K class seat on the VS20 on the 21st of Decemeber. In the past I've been able to use miles at SFO to upgrade to J(in fact it's now 5,000 miles less than it used to be), but given that economy is already sold out for this flight, is it worth the risk in holding off for an comp. upgrade at the gate? Do you know if they allow you to buy your way into the clubhouse at SFO like in LHR?

Finally, do you know if Virgin plans to introduce the suites to the LHr-SFO before the new year - I'm really hoping to try the new seats soon, but given the delays that have already happened with this on the JFK route, I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks in advance for replies, and for this excellent site.

Keith
#25051 by The_Banking_Scot
29 Nov 2003, 10:41
Hi kb3535,

I, too was a silver member on a K class ticket ( this was in 2002) and I was operationally upgraded at check-in into Upper Class.

The agent did write no lounge access ( for operational upgradees) on the boarding pass but then I could still access the Clubhouse with the UK Amex Plat card ( from April 2002 only Centurion members get lounge access)
I do not think they offer clubhouse access for cash at SFO.
. You may want to wait to check in see if they offer you one, if not then you could head to the ticket desk ( others on the forum may offfer more advice)

I am doing the reverse route LHR-SFO 1st Jan :)( this is an Airbus 340-300) and SFO-LHR on 6th Jan ( standard J2000 747-400 currently). The VS FC Premier team said that they hoped to complete another refurb of the 747-400 before christmas so I may get a Suite Aircraft. We might both get lucky but I will wait and see.
Probably initially the aircraft will go to SFO on alternate days.

Regards, and good luck

TBS

VS FC Gold
#25053 by Pete
29 Nov 2003, 16:25
My advice would be to arrive early at the airport (always a good move if you're looking for an operational upgrade), go to check in as normal and if a freebie isn't offered ask if you'll be able to use miles. On those K class tickets, officially you can't upgrade with miles - but if there's room and they're in a good mood then as you (and I) have found, they'll let you do it.

Asking if you can use miles also prompts the check in agent to check on the upgrade situation, and I've found in the past (when I too was Silver), offering to use miles occassionally got me a free upgrade on the busy flights. Maybe it's because the upgrade question gets onto the agenda without the blantant asking for a freebie, or maybe it's because they're looking to choose some people to upgrade and your willingness to 'buy' rather than 'blag' identifies you as a better candidate. It's all a bit of a black art, and I kind of suspect your chances have more to do with the mood of the check in staff than anything else on some days :)

I wouldn't advise leaving it until the gate, as Virgin are pretty organised and will have probably done all the moves they need before you get to the aircraft door.

Not been to SFO for some time, so can't advise on whether you can buy in - although TBS is probably correct in thinking you can't. As for the suites on your flight, given your date of travel you may get a chance at it - purely depends on how quickly the next suite-fitted aircraft (due to operate the SFO route) gets into the fleet.

Might be off to SFO myself in early January - the first time for about 4 years. I'll be hoping for Suites too!

Pix.
#25055 by kb3535
30 Nov 2003, 10:11
Thanks for the good advice, much appreciated. I'll let you know if I do manage to luck into a suites 747.

Keith
#25142 by squibber
21 Dec 2003, 04:35
Would L class be considered upgradeable as well?
#25143 by Pete
21 Dec 2003, 10:37
Any class is upgradeable, since more weight is applied to your 'status' with the airline (ie, what colour is your Flying Club card?).

Pix.
#25144 by kb3535-
22 Dec 2003, 00:09
Well the good news is that today's VS20 plane is G-VROC, loaded with the latest and greatest suites, seats and IFE Virgin can offer.

The bad news (for me at least) is that they wouldn't allow me to upgrade at check-in with miles (K class fare, Silver member). The GA did check with the operations manager, but apparently there are too many full fare W passengers. He did give me 70A though, which combined with V:Port is going to make for an excellent flight.

Here's hoping for a gate upgrade :)(that's where I'm posting this from!).

Keith
#25147 by Pete
22 Dec 2003, 03:02
Got all my fingers crossed for you!

Have a great flight,

Pix.
#25168 by kb3535-
31 Dec 2003, 05:43
The VS19 yesterday (29th) was G-VROC again, and this time I managed to get my miles upgrade. The suites are amazing, and blow United and American's international business products out the window. The seat is absurdly comfortable, the bed is great (one passenger did remark it was a little hard, but that suits me and my back).

The combination arm rest/safety deposit box is a cool feature. I would love to know how exactly the airbag in the seatbelt when in seat mode works - the airbag part is on the left side of the belt only, I'm curious as to where it would inflate to.

The only bummer was V:Port - it would freeze often during whatever was playing for 30-60 seconds, and then start again, meaning I had to rewind back to watch what I had missed whilst it had been frozen. A couple of resets by the FAs didn't help (although during the reboot I was able to see the system runs on Linux).

Keith
#25191 by jaguarpig
07 Jan 2004, 14:33
Just got back from IAD with no delays at all. Very nice trip wife daughter and I were upgraded to UC from PE both ways.First time ever for me on virgin in 10 years.I didn't ask for an upgrade but got upgraded at the gate at LHR.At IAD we arrived 4hrs before the flight and again with no prompting from me we were upgraded at check-in.The gold card must have worked.Excellent staff in the IAD lounge who seemed to be on a mission to burst us all with food and drink.

Chris Parr
#25197 by RichardMannion
07 Jan 2004, 21:39
Very lucky person having 3xWtoJ upgrades both ways!

Gold does indeed help, that flight must have been busy.

Good to see that the IAD Clbhouse is improving, I've been there twice now and had poor experiences both times. Certain staff used to have their own names within the circle of a few of us.

The concierge Clinton has left now, and he was the only real star that I ever encountered at the IAD oeration.

Thanks,
Richard
#25202 by Bazz
08 Jan 2004, 11:44
As RM says you were very lucky to get three of you upgraded both ways, this is a very uncommon occurence, often difficult with just two let alone three! Well done!

Love to know what those names might have been Richard :) but then you have to watch the libel laws I guess. ;)

BTW Richard, hows the weather in Marbella [8D]

Bazz
Still Flying
#25204 by jaguarpig
08 Jan 2004, 14:24
Flight back to LHR was packed, probably a few off of the disrupted BA service. Going out spare seats in all classes just the very front J cabin filled on 747-400 mostly with the first officers family with what I could gather.I do not know about upstairs but noboby came down to the bar.

Chris Parr
Virgin Atlantic