This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#330 by josepg10
26 Feb 2004, 20:45
your notes on upgrades are superb and very comprehensive. They do omit however the CIP code which I always get put in my booking. I think this aids with moves from PE TO UC especially ex:UK. It's effectively a corporate imp. person code. It doesn't guarantee anything but it can help...worth talking to travel agent if you work for company which does a large spend on Virgin.
#26142 by Pete
26 Feb 2004, 22:00
I have to admit my knowledge of the CIP codes are thin, to say the least. I'm guessing from your message that this can be entered by the travel agent at the GDS level, rather than a Virgin agent-only code (like SFU - Suitable For Upgrade).

Pix
#26144 by josepg10
26 Feb 2004, 22:17
tends to be put in by sales rather than reservations as often it shows up on the upgrades document which check in staff have to hand. also can sometimes lead to a free glass of bubbly even if down the back of the plane
#26145 by JonBuck
26 Feb 2004, 22:40
Ah upgrades. The holy grail! Pay for it, ask nicely or just wait and see, we've tried them all. The best are when you're not expecting it. On a recent trip in PE on VS005 I decided to try the say nothing route. Past check-in and boarding so resigned myself to a pleasant flight with a nice exit row seat. Sat back enjoying champagne and a lady of "advancing years" chirps up "you are in my seat"! The Cabin Crew are quick to attend and reveal that we are indeed both checked into the same seat. My knowledge of computer databases isn't great but most wouldn't allow this to happen. A quick look at the UC cabin and combined with the fact I'm late twenties and my counterpart is somewhat older suggests she will get the better end of the deal. However, I get the upgrade and the lady is left with the PE exit row seat. To be honest and not disrepectful - I wouldn't be too pleased if it was up to her to open that door in an emergency!

Anyway a few minutes later and some confusion after a free loader is sat in the seat I'm upgraded to and I'm lapping it up in 6A. During the wait for the freeloader to exit the seat, complete with their kitchen sink and what can only be described as an illegal immigrant packed into a holdall stored in the overhead, I quized the Cabin Crew why they chose me over the lady. It was a combination of my response to the situation and, expectedly, the status of my Flying Club account.

So the moral - just because you have Silver or Gold status - you still have to treat others the way they treat you - don't go shouting the odds we've all cringed when seeing them do it.
#26172 by RichardMannion
27 Feb 2004, 19:33
Yes the CIP code does make it on to bookings but it is not necessarily a guarantee of an upgrade. A deririvate of it is used to identify the elite flyers at VS.

Its a Company Important Person flag and sometiems has a quick decription next to it like CEO FTSE100.

There is another system used in hosue just by VS staff to mark/highlight certain PNR's for airport staff - :)

Thanks,
Richard
#26176 by josepg10
27 Feb 2004, 20:01
thanks richard for repeating my earlier post and clarifying the CIP point.
#26181 by Bazz
28 Feb 2004, 13:11
Jargon guys [:(]

Would the respective posters like to add the following terms to the Glossary please:

CIP
GDS
SFU
PNR

I should not need to remind you that all are not so well versed as yourselves ;)
#26188 by Pete
28 Feb 2004, 17:29
Oopps.

I've slapped the back of my hand.

GDS, SFU and PNR added. I see CIP has already been added too :)

Pix
Virgin Atlantic