This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#338 by nigrivirgin
29 Feb 2004, 03:15
Oh no!

(Sorry for the rude introduction- am new to Virgin Flyer!)

I am just worried because I am begining to think that I may have been booked on a A340-300 flight, rather than a A340-600 from LHR-JFK. I had specified flight VS009 from LHR-JFK specifically because it featured an A340-600 (or so the agent at Virgin's 1.800 number told me). I could have chosen any other flight that day , as my schedule is very flexible.

I am planning on flying June VS004 JFK-LHR Premium Economy on a B747, and then on return portion- July VS009 LHR-JFk Premium Economy on (supposed A340-600).

These are the questions I have:

1) How do I know "what" B747 I am flying on? On Virgin's website, they have "2" versions of B747: G-VROS, G-VGAL, G-VLIP... and version #2: G-FAB, G_VHOT, G-BIG. (I have seats 72K & 73 A,C,H,K all on upper deck on 747)

2) What is the difference between Gatwick and Heathrow "versions" of 747?

3) The main issue: I was told repeatly by the person at Virgin that my return portion, flight VS009 would be on a A340-600. However, the seats he assigned me were 19 A, C, D, F, G. And on Virgin's website, for row 19, they only have A C E F G... (no "D" seat). Whereas on the A340-300, it clearly shows 19 A C D F G H K. Did he just make a verbal typo or was he referring to my seats... on the A340-300?????

I might seem a bit tensed up over the possibility of flying on a -300 instead of the -600, but I have been looking forward to flying on Virgin's 747 upper deck and on their gorgeous A340-600's. Another reason that has caused my suspicion is the fact that after some research and homework, have realised that the majority of LHR-JFK flights are opperated by the A340-300, not nearly as much as the -600.

4) Yes, this sounds a little greedy, but I have another "common" question- having booked a total of 5 seats round trip on Premium Economy, is there the slightest chance of being upgraded to Upper Class upon arrival at the airport (JFK and LHR)? I confess Premiun Econ. is already very nice, but have had several family/friends who have flown on Upper Class and have raved about it.

5) Is there a difference between the Premium Economy cabin on the B747 vs. the Airbus A340-600 vs. the A340-300? I have heard reports that apparently, the PE cabin on the A340-600 is the newest and looks different.

Thanks very much! I heard about this site from a friend, and it's helped a lot! I wish British Airways (or other airlines) had similar sites!

NIGRIVIRGIN
#26195 by nigrivirgin
29 Feb 2004, 04:47
another question!

what aircraft is mainly used on VS009? I can't really determine on this site...

It seems to be betwen the B747-400 and the A340-300; the A340-600 doesn't seem to fly the route as much as the -300.

Well folks- it seems as though we'll be flying on the -300. I have heard EXTREMELY bad reviews about the Premium Economy cabin on the A340-300's- compared to the 747 and the -600 [:(]

Is it REALLY that bad? (mind you, I have flown on BA's FIRST and Club Europe numerous times in Europe for business) It seems as though the interiors are REALLY run-down, the not much difference between Economy and Premium Economy...

WHY WHY WHY
#26196 by BlackCat
29 Feb 2004, 09:48
A few answers, and welcome on board.

1. G-VLIP et al are ex-LGW configuration planes with upstairs all PE. The other 744s are the ex-LHR ones with mixed UC/PE upstairs.

2. The seating configuration (ex-LGW have fewer UC), the type of UC seat (ex-LGW have Recaro seats, ex-LHR a mix of J2000 and Suite), the absence of a bar and therapist area in the UC area on the LGW planes.

3. Looks like an A340-300 is the most likely plane. Don't forget that the plane is subject to change given technical issues, loads and so on, right up until the day of departure. You may get lucky but I wouldn't bank on it!

4. If you are travelling in a group you are most unlikely to get upgraded. See the upgrade section on this site.

5. PE on the -600 is probably the best,although upstairs on the 744 is a good cabin. The -300 is, unfortunately, the worst of the bunch. Other than the better seat and legroom, it is really not much better than the first few rows of economy. And of course the -300s are some of the oldest planes that VS has (certainly in terms of interiors) -- most are due to be changed in the near future.

Sorry I can't give you a more positive response...

BC
#26221 by declansmith
29 Feb 2004, 20:49
NIGRIVIRGIN Premium Economy cannot be compared to Club europe or CLub world or First on BA.

PE is not a business class product it is an enchanced economy product imilar to BA world traveller Plus.

THE overall PE product is better than BA WTP+ Virgin offer priority check in and bagage collection, champagne, newspapers, Laptop power on selected 747-400 and all A340-600.
#26222 by declansmith
29 Feb 2004, 20:50
NIGRIVIRGIN Premium Economy cannot be compared to Club europe or CLub world or First on BA.

PE is not a business class product it is an enchanced economy product imilar to BA world traveller Plus.

THE overall PE product is better than BA WTP+ Virgin offer priority check in and bagage collection, champagne, newspapers, Laptop power on selected 747-400 and all A340-600.
#26224 by mitchja
29 Feb 2004, 20:58
Virgin's PE is miles better than BA's World Traveller Plus, also you dont have to sit facing backwards on any Virgin seat unlike BA's Club World.
#26228 by josepg10
29 Feb 2004, 22:43
James
I agree with you re:WTP but to suggest Club World is an inferior product to PE is taking it a little too far. A flat bed versus something which doesn't recline much at all? I could go on...I don't mind sitting backwards if I can lie flat 10 mins after take off!
Now, if you are taling UC versus Club...that's a different story...
#26229 by mitchja
29 Feb 2004, 22:58
sorry I was just making the point the I dont like the feeling you get having to sit facing backwards in half the Club World seats. There are no seats facing backwards in any Virgin cabin.

I agree you cannot compare PE and Club World - but I'd choose PE any time!!!! I wouldn't even travel in First on BA if you paid me ;)
#26232 by nigrivirgin
01 Mar 2004, 02:04
I know this seems far-fetched...

but i guess there is nothing I can do about it? I just called Virgin, and indeed, I will be flying on a 747 to LHR, and an Airbus A340-300 back. what a shame.

now i'm really angry at myself because I had originally chosen another flight back home (which would have been on a 747), but because THAT person at Virgin who did my arangements specifically said:

"ooh yes! It'll be the Airbus A340-600. our newest plane. those are very nice."

I decided to book VS009. Now there is no turning back, and nothing I can do!!!!!

BTW- Is Premium Economy on the A340-300's THAT bad? From the looks of it, I have heard reports it's simply a slightly-better Economy seat. Isn't there anything I can do???

Thanks a lot for your responses!
#26236 by jaguarpig
01 Mar 2004, 14:32
I can remember flying in club world about 15 years back and the seat pitch was 38inch same as PE now.I flew to BKK a couple of years ago in the Ba club craddle seat 50inch pitch before the bed had been fitted and it was terrible, bad seat s*** crew never again thank you very much.I would go PE anytime rather than club and save a packet in doing so.
#26259 by Nick
02 Mar 2004, 01:06
Okay - I know this is a (pro) Virgin forum, but I honestly can't believe what I am hearing. (Let me just put my helmet and flame-retardant suit on)

Given the choice between BA New Club World, and Virgin Premium it is a no-brainer - you take BA business class! Those seats are fantastic, and although not a patch on Virgin Upper class (and especially not UCS) it is a better product than Virgin PE.

For the record sitting facing backwards in Club has to be tried - it is quite an experience during the initial take-off acceleration, but then far more comfortable under braking! Of course the other potentially good thing, is that in the event of an accident your brace position is just sitting in your seat - no leaning forward and getting cut in half by a lap belt.
Virgin Atlantic