This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#388 by jonathan020
08 Mar 2004, 00:05
Just read on the ifly site that Virgin will no longer be flying to Cape Town....

We'd like to advise our flying club members that with effect from 1 May until 30 October 2004 we 'll be suspending our Cape Town services. This change is as a result of us waiting for new aircraft and to enable us to fly the best schedule for the summer. We anticipate that this will disrupt the least number of passengers on a route that is traditionally quiet during our summer months.

Forgive me if I am being slow, but when was this announced? Is it recent?

Jonathan
#26467 by RichardMannion
08 Mar 2004, 19:29
I'm no SA flier either, I'm sure its always been a seasonal route. Just like MAN-MCO used to be...

Thanks,
Richard
#26470 by JonBuck
08 Mar 2004, 19:52
This was announced in the press on 13 February this year. The Cape winter is a traditional trough for the route with all carriers scaling back. BA for example use a 747 during the summer and a 777 during the winter. However, they announced the same week that they'll be retaining the 747 for the winter season providing an additional 27,000 seats. So look out for cheap fares!
#26477 by BlackCat
08 Mar 2004, 22:40
Daft thing is, VS originally proudly announced LHR-CPT would fly all year round last year, and I don't believe it ever has. (Mind you, I didn't believe their announcement at the time ;)) JNB is much more of a business centre than CPT so I guess it makes sense. I used to fly LHR-CPT all the time via JNB in any case, not too big a deal.

BC
#26493 by jonathan020
09 Mar 2004, 08:39
Hehe yep. Definately the right choice to use the free aircraft on the new Boston/New York/Washington routes this summer instead.
Virgin Atlantic