This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#491 by AlanA
19 Mar 2004, 09:59
I am not trying to start a war here guys, but as a regular flyer to MCO either from LGW or MAN, we are all aware I think, that these are very profitable routes for Virgin, but they do seem to treat the pax as second class compared to other flights.
Last for any plane upgrades, no revivals lounge, even the UC seem to get a poor deal compared to LHR flights.
I suppose its the "we can fill the flights anyway" attitude :-(
Mind you, I get upset that in the scheme of things UC pax who live in the M25 area get treated better than the rest of the country anyway (Limo etc..) Don't say about Gatwick express free seats being the option, again, only if you live in London, living in the midlands, you have a crap job trying to get to London by train! The only option is to drive down.
Sorry for the rant but am feeling like a second class UC paz :-(
#27095 by Goldenoldie
19 Mar 2004, 10:35
Alan

Yes, the LGW 744 is not at the same standard as those from LHR and I suspect that much of the UC on the bucket and spade routes are filled from PE upgrades. However, the lounge at LGW is very good and the staff very friendly and provide a good experience. The first time I flew UC out of LGW I asked where the bar was having enjoyed this on LHR fights. The response from the stewardess was 'I am your bar' and sure enough she was! The revivals is important on business flights but less so when coming back from holidays when you will be going home rather than back to the office.

The MCO lounge is of the usual low US standard being a shared facility. Notwithstanding the number of flights into MCO, it must not be cost-effective for VS to open a Clubhouse?

However, I look forward to the LGW 744s being the same standard as those out of LHR.
#27098 by Jaydun
19 Mar 2004, 11:29
I also fly LGW-MCO-LGW route UC regularly and agree that this route is neglected by Virgin, they charge a simlar fare for flying here as they do to the other east coast routes but we get no J2000 seat (think we can forget about suite!) No Bar (the thing I miss most, Dreadful Nova IFE the often goes US and no massage etc etc.

That said I find the Delta Crown lounge in MCO a tranquil heaven compared to the husttle and bussle of other Virgin lounges, though the food options are poor (Could I suggest a voucher for UC passengers to use in the many good eateries within MCO??) the lounge is huge , almost always empty and has large comfy sofas and chairs to slob out on, I never consider this facility a downgrade on the usual Virgin product, though once on board thats a different matter.
#27106 by jaguarpig
19 Mar 2004, 13:06
quote:Mind you, I get upset that in the scheme of things UC pax who live in the M25 area get treated better than the rest of the country anyway (Limo etc..)
Also from the midlands no limo so I always drive down to LHR but take the train to LGW.
quote: The revivals is important on business flights but less so when coming back from holidays when you will be going home rather than back to the office.

The arrivals is very important to me at heathrow as I get off the plane and then have a 2+ hour 150 mile drive home, a shower and a good cup of coffee does help even on vacation trips
#27147 by PaulS
19 Mar 2004, 21:38
Couldnt agree more although the LGW operation is better. At MAN we cant even get a full UC service. Tickets cost for club orlando min £1250 but we get sames food and service as bucket seats in economy.

These routes are profitable and VS need to invest as not all passengers are bucket and spade. A great number of club orlando passengers are Brits with second homes in Florida like me who could easily swap onto competitors flights. I actually go to Tampa and whilst it involves a gateway its easier to fly into TPA. I can do this for £1500 full business/first class, but Im trying to fly the flag. Some on Virgin dont lose the plot.

Flying Silver
#27159 by AlanA
20 Mar 2004, 13:18
quote:Originally posted by jaguarpig
[br
Also from the midlands no limo so I always drive down to LHR but take the train to LGW.

I had a look at the prices, £196 for three adults! Cheaoer to take the car as we will still have to have a hotel the night before!

quote:The arrivals is very important to me at heathrow as I get off the plane and then have a 2+ hour 150 mile drive home, a shower and a good cup of coffee does help even on vacation trips

The only thing BA has over Virgin I see, is that they have an arrivals lounge at LGW!
#27278 by declansmith
21 Mar 2004, 22:37
Dont forget that all the LGW744 are around three years old prior to 9/11 LGW had aircraft flying which were around 30-40 years old!!!

Yes some of these aircraft had J2000 and better entertainment systems but the routes carry more leisure passngers.

LGW were lucky to get brand new aircraft in 2001.

LHR has more Upper class Passengers which create most of the revenue.

LAGOS is the most profitable route. Actually as many of the LGW passengers are Vigin Holidays, Virgin Atlantic do not make as much money as say a SFO fligh where much of the revenue is from Upper Class passengers.

Whats the point in spending millions of pounds to refit a LGW plane which is modern in terms of IFE and seating when you have aircraft like FAB and HOT with old unreliable IFE flying around and old seats.

LGW will get its turn soon but as a business LHR should get prioirty.
#27279 by buns
21 Mar 2004, 23:05
I agree with Declan. Given the economic climate since 9/11, I think the LGW - MCO route has come out well in the circumstances.

As is pointed out above the LGW Clubhouse is very good (and certainly closer to the aircraft gate)compared with some other Clubhouses across the globe and the Delata Crown Room is real peace and quiet after getting through security. As for food at the airport, Mrs Buns & I always head for McCoy's in the Hyatt (just above the entrance to the Satellite).

As BA don't have WT+ on the route, VS with its Upper Deck PE wins hands down[8D]

buns4vs
#27280 by mitchja
21 Mar 2004, 23:08
All airlines are same in that they will give the same priority to LHR premium traffic(that's Business/Club/First/Upper class) and premium routes (LHR-JFK for example) as these routes make the airlines the most money and is a guaranteed revenue all year round for them. Leisure route traffic tends to peak and trough throughout the year.

BA did exactly the same when rolling out their Club World product - LHR routes got it first.
Virgin Atlantic