This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#53 by Bazz
13 Dec 2003, 12:39
Well guys, I just burnt 80,000 miles on an Upper Class RT reward ticket for my wife plus £64 taxes, still have to BUY my own ticket [:(]. We fly out on VS7 4th September to LAX returning on 17th September on VS8 - the suites should be installed by then :) so it will be a real treat. Seat allocation opens 8th March.

After some deliberation I determined this was the best way to maximise the miles. As the more seasoned VS FF'ers here will know, if you use miles to by a companion ticket you have to pay full fare for the paid ticket, so whilst it would have only been 65,000 for UC I would be looking at a substantial hike in the price I can get a non flex (Z class) ticket for. Currently looking at £2050 and with plenty of availability so I will wait a while. I wonder if Pix, Mr Mannion, TBS or BC can suggest a TA who would do a good deal for a poor Silver?

Anyway have to fit in VS to Vegas in March and to Miami in June (with onward AA to NAS for a week at Sandals RB [8D] ) so looking forward to next year but as we have two weeks in Tenerife over Christmas and New Year, I mustn't wish my life away. :D

Bazz
Still Flying
#25087 by Pete
13 Dec 2003, 14:36
Spot on, Bazz. Exactly the way I would have done it.

The price you mentioned (£2050) looks like a good one at the moment. Both eBookers and Flights4Less are both quoting a shade over £2100, so although it might be worth checking Kelkoo (link above in the Online Booking menu), and keeping an eye on prices as long as you dare; that might be worth going for. Certainly a lot cheaper than buying a full fare and using miles for a companion ticket, as you say.

Another alternative is to buy full fare PE and use miles to upgrade it. Probably won't save that much, and you'll get less miles and tier points - but worth a look if you want to consider all the alternatives. Equally you could save more by buying a qualifying Economy ticket and doing a 2-step upgrade. Far less miles & tier points, but you could save a few quid.

Pix
#25088 by Bazz
13 Dec 2003, 17:44
If we booked me in PE and upgraded to UC it would cost 40K miles and I don't have that many in the bank right now. Earnings wise it would be OK as I would earn 6 tier point and 16,326 miles. I need 10 points to retain Silver and I have another 8 tier points accruing from the other two VS trips booked for 2004, so that would give me 14 points.

So I think, unless I can get another 24,000 miles from somewhere quickly, we will buy the "Z" and have done with it. The 10 tier points and the 21,768 miles will go on my account as Pam will probably not earn enough tier points to retain her silver menbership next year. At least if one of us is Silver we can use the PE check-in even if we are in coach (the biggest sinle benefit of Silver, IMHO).

It will be nice to use the AC Maple Leaf lounge in LAX, we usually go in the NorthWest lounge courtesy of Priority Pass but I understand the Maple Leaf in T2 is better, and of course with Amex Centurion we can use the Clubhouses at LHR & LGW.

The two other trips LGW-LAS and LHR-MIA-NAS booked through Virgin Holidays are currently both in coach although I'm thinking of upgrading the LGW-LAS to PE. I think the cost on VH website shows as £265 per pax each way so we're looking at £1,060. But I have £140 credit and £200 in VH vouchers so that makes it c. £700, I think it will be worth it even on the old LGW 744's. Also if we do this Pam will have 10 points (6 PE LGW-LAS and 4 coach LHR-MIA) and so keep her Silver. Although we don't travel alone so really she doesn't need Silver.

Thanks for your advice pix, I'm still looking for a cheap "z" guys, come on, I know you must have some contacts? ;)

Bazz
Still Flying
#25093 by ChuckC
14 Dec 2003, 03:24
I'm new to VS FF program. Have spent 80K Amex miles to fly UC LAX/LHR in May 04. No one at VS will tell me when the Suites will be installed on that route. Do any of you guys have the scoop? I'll be on VS8 eastbound and VS7 on the return.

Also I picked seat 7-C. Was that a good choice?

Thanks to all.:)

chuckc
#25094 by Bazz
14 Dec 2003, 10:21
Hi ChuckC welcome aboard,

Nobody can predict the exact roll out of the suites, the LHR-LAX route is a premier route for VS and as such should have some priority so you may be lucky by May, keep your fingers crossed.

As for seat 7-C, it is a good choice, up front and away from the bar and not to close to the beauty therapy station, you shoud have a good trip. Go to the Seat Ratings page from the Resources pull down, select 747-400 (LHR) and press submit, you will see the full seat plan, you can also select (suite) to see how the plane will be configured should you be lucky.

Bazz
Still Flying
#25098 by ChuckC
14 Dec 2003, 17:55
Thanks, Bazz:
Those of you who fly VS constantly will undoubtedly hear something about the LAX/LHR route before I do. I'll keep my ears open, however.

Have a great day.

chuckc
#25101 by RichardMannion
14 Dec 2003, 20:18
Hi Boys,

Sorry for the Tardy response.

LAX is my favourite route, as there is an absolute star at the airport who looks after the Upper Class passengers and the VIP's/CIP's & xxTOP's.

Cracking site for checkign fares across multiple providers - http://www.traveljungle.co.uk. It also has W Clas son there too!

On the VH upgrade prices, don't forget that Frequent Virgins can get 10% off the flight upgrade prices. Little be surprised to see that they have had such a price hike for next year, I paid £162 each way to upgrade to Premium (H) in March this year.

Bazz, are you not VS Gold? Remember you get your free companion ticket anyway without having to use the 65k miles.
£2k for Upper Class to LAX is not bad, full J fare is about 3 times that!

Thanks,
Richard
#25105 by Bazz
14 Dec 2003, 22:13
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the link, I will keep an eye on it!

As for Gold, unfortunately no, only Silver. As we fly for leisure we are often looking at destinations where VS don't go, so my tier point accumulation has not been sufficient.

The current and 2004 VH upgrade prices can be found here:

http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/usa/fli ... ades.shtml

AS you can see the prices have risen quite steeply. The UC upgrade doesn't attract miles, or the limo, they don't mention whether you earn tier points at the UC rate, so I'm assuming you don't.

The LGW-LAS PE upgrade is £260 per pax per leg not £265 as I mentioned earlier and yes you're right, we do get 10% off, so I am convinced I should go for it and will call tomorrow to arrange it!

Bazz
Still Flying
#25111 by ChuckC
17 Dec 2003, 15:01
Hi, Fellows and Ladies:

Regarding when suites might replace sleepers on the LAX/LHR route:
I spoke yesterday with UC res (quite a pleasant lady) who related that VS' strategy at the moment was to give some retrofitted aircraft to a West Coast airport, then an East Coast and so forth. She added that at the moment VS is working on outfitting aircraft designated for SFO flights.

If they get those aircraft on this coast at least ... perhaps a rotation will lift all boats!

Or there's always a quick hop to SFO from LAX.

Regards all,

chuckc
#25112 by Bazz
17 Dec 2003, 17:35
Well ChuckC you might be lucky, depends on many things whether they switch an SFO plane to LAX, can be planned ahead of time or in response to a plane going tech.

As you say its not a big deal to hop up from LAX to SFO in anycase, mind you, some pax have even dared to say they prefer the (old) J2000 seats! [:0]

Bazz
Still Flying
#25114 by jaguarpig
17 Dec 2003, 19:34
I travelled on a couple of Upper Class returns ths year(2003) booked through virgin holidays to SF and HKG both got awarded full miles and tier points I think both came through as Z class tickets.I also got the john lewis vouchers credited to my account.I have just booked 2 UC tickets direct with VA for HKG in Feb and these do not qualify for the gifts promo I assume these will be Z class.I think I can live without the limo and gift for a saving of around 2k per ticket.
cheers Chris
#25118 by Bazz
18 Dec 2003, 10:25
Hi Jaguarpig, welcome aboard.

The link in my post earlier in this thread only lists upgrade prices for "NewYork, Washington and Boston", "Los Angeles and San Francisco" and "Las Vegas" but clearly states at the bottom of the page:

"Please note that for Upper Class, limousine transfers and Flying Club miles are not included in this supplement." [V]

I guess other routes booked through VH are treated differently?

Bazz
Still Flying
#25120 by jaguarpig
18 Dec 2003, 12:56
I've have just booked last night(17/12/2003) through VH to go to IAD on 29 December back on the 1st January in PE I will let you know the miles and tier points we get.

Chris Parr
#25121 by Bazz
18 Dec 2003, 13:15
quote:Originally posted by jaguarpig
I've have just booked last night(17/12/2003) through VH to go to IAD on 29 December back on the 1st January in PE I will let you know the miles and tier points we get.

Chris Parr

Thanks Chris, are you booking a holiday or just the flight with VH?

Bazz
Still Flying
#25123 by jaguarpig
18 Dec 2003, 14:17
Booking is for Hotel and flight. Last minute mega saver offer £2200 all in. 3 adults in PE with 3 nights at the Washington Hilton.Fair bit cheaper than 3 PE tickets.If I do not get tier points and miles virgin holidays will be down about 6 bookings a year.

Chris Parr
#25125 by Bazz
18 Dec 2003, 15:02
I don't think there is a problem with miles and points in PE the VH site just says UC on those routes don't qualify, but, unfortunately it doesn't mention whether you get tier points or not.

I will call them and check, watch this space. :)

Bazz
Still Flying
#25126 by Bazz
18 Dec 2003, 15:20
Well, I have just come off the phone to VH Reservations and was told that you do not get the tier points if you upgrade your holiday package to UC! [:(]

I don't know if that's a definitive answer but the VH staffer said she new that was the case.

Anyone know different [?]

Bazz
Still Flying
#25127 by jaguarpig
18 Dec 2003, 17:18
What miles and points do they give you if you do upgrade?Seems very confused.All I can say is that I have been credited full mileage&tier points for UC flights booked through VH over the past couple of years to BOS,BGI,CPT,HKG,JNB,SFO,IAD,ORD&UVF.If the no miles and tps is the case I wonder what happens if you book an upgrade through kuoni/elegant resorts etc because these can also be good value.

Chris Parr
#25128 by Pete
18 Dec 2003, 19:58
Hmmm...

This seems confusing!

As per the terms & conditions, all Upper Class fares (J, D & Z) earn full mileage and tier points. And this has been the case when I've travelled in the past with a VH ticket.

The same applies to PE (and Virgin's Ts & Cs specifically mention an 'H' code, which is only used by Virgin Holidays for PE, as an earner).

I think the VH rep must have her facts wrong.

My understanding is (and I'll stick by this until proved wrong!) all Virgin Holidays flights earn full mileage and tier points in ALL classes.

The Economy code (V) gets you 100% rather than the 125% of higher-fare Y, B & L classes, but it's still an earner.

When you get to the subject of upgrades, the situation is not as simple - but then a Virgin Holidays 'upgrade' to PE or Upper is not an 'upgrade' as far as VA is concerned. An upgrade (for VA) is where you change your original ticket, by whatever method. A VH ticket starts off life as that ticket class, so it's not an upgrade to VA.

If you use miles to upgrade your ticket, you earn the mileage and tier points of your original ticket.

If you pay cash, then I'm not sure. Sometimes I've earnt the higher mileage, sometimes the original. Dunno what the official policy is - maybe I should look :)

Pix.
#25129 by Bazz
19 Dec 2003, 10:15
Pix,

I understand that a VH "upgrade" is not the same as a VS upgrade, with a VH "upgrade" they charge you if you want to "upgrade" the flight component of you holiday which will only include coach class as part of the basic price. If you follow through the online booking procedure you will see the "upgrade" element to PE or UC is detailed and charged as a supplement.

As you and others appear to have earnt miles and points in the past, when travelling on a VH ticket, maybe we are looking at a change of policy here?

If you follow the link below:

http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/usa/fli ... ades.shtml

you will see it clearly states that the UC "upgrade" does not include miles or the limo. This was confirmed to me yesterday by the VH staffer who also said the UC "upgrade" did not attract tier points either!

Now there is a lot of confusion as experience contradicts both the VH website and booking staff.

What might be useful if perhaps you or Richard could use your contacts to obtain some clarification and/or a definitive ruling on what the policy is. After all it's no good waiting for the tickets to arrive and then discovering you aint got the miles or points!

Over to you boys!!!

Bazz
Still Flying
#25130 by jaguarpig
19 Dec 2003, 10:29
I checked a couple of ticket counterfoils from trips taken last year booked through VH in UC both came as D class tickets.I also checked the brochure they were booked from the line about not earning miles is not in it but that ran from 04/03-04/04.Indeed in the current one the offending caveat is there.

Chris Parr
#25132 by jaguarpig
19 Dec 2003, 15:24
Just looked in the current VH worldwide brochure JAN 2004-DEC 2004 this includes prices for UC ungrades to all destinations and there is no mention of no miles awarded etc.The upgrade prices are a little higher than in the USA brochure.

Chris Parr
#25139 by Bazz
20 Dec 2003, 12:13
Chris,

That just seems to add to the confusion [V]

I think some help from Pix and Richard is required here please.

Bazz
Still Flying
#25174 by phil944
05 Jan 2004, 14:04
Hi Bazz

I guess you could also have tried Amex and their one flies free when you buy full fare UC. Appreciate that makes it about 2k per person...

Am flying VS007 (LHR-LAX) on Wed - and was told there is a chance that G-VBIG with suites will be used (although current schedule is for G-VTOP).
#25184 by RichardMannion
06 Jan 2004, 23:58
Hi Guys,

Right rule #1, if the flight doesn't earn miles, you won't earn tier points. Thats what put me off the £292 Hong Kong fare that is ont he VS site at the moment.

In my experience, VH and VTravelstore for that matter are not the most clued up people when it coems to miles and tier points.

VS ultimately are the ones that will be awarding the miles and TP's to your account, not VH.

Phone VH up and ask them point blank, if I book this with the Upper upgrade, what fare class will you book this in. J, D or Z will earn miles and TP's.

Have you asked why they no longer give you miles for Upper upgrades? It seems very strange that Y and W class earn but J doesn't.

Whilst we're on Upper Class, posted this on FT but just in case:
http://www.virgintravelstore.com/Promot ... _class.asp

Upper both ways and accomodation, £999 each :)

Thanks,
RIchard
Virgin Atlantic