This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#531 by randalf
23 Mar 2004, 11:02
Hello all,

Just a quick question regarding the LHR - LAX route. I'm just about to book a couple of tickets (flying with the mother-in-law!) via Virgin Travel Shop (for the bonus air miles) and I notice that there's a good 60 quid difference between the "branded" Virgin tickets and the Continental tickets.

Since this is a codeshare, would booking the Continental tickets prevent me from earning Tier Points and/or FC Miles? Anyone had any experience of this?

Cheers,

Darryl
#27419 by Decker
23 Mar 2004, 12:06
Virgin website says

quote:
Continental Airlines:
Continental Airlines: Code share services operated by Continental Airlines with tickets bearing a 'VS' flight prefix will earn miles. Tickets with 'CO' prefix will not qualify for miles.
#27422 by Bazz
23 Mar 2004, 12:50
Hi Randalf, please have a look at the following from the Christmas edition of I-Fly

http://www.iflyvirginatlantic.com/main314.htm

And from the VA website:

9. Continental Airlines
Miles earned

Business First (all UK/US routes*)
*UK members only 200% of miles flown
Business/First Class 150% of miles flown
Economy 100% miles flown

Miles will be issued to flying club members when travelling in the following qualifying classes:

Domestic Travel
First Class : A, D,F

International Travel:
First Class: J, D, Z

Latin America Travel
First Class: C, D, Z

Domestic, International and Latin America Travel:
Coach Class: Y,H,K,B,V,Q,T,S,L and effective from 1 January 2004: N,U,I,W,X,O

Hope this helps.
#27423 by Decker
23 Mar 2004, 13:01
Thanks for the clarification Baxx - interestingly the I-Fly says

BusinessFirst (all UK/US routes)* 200%

*EU members only

Whereas the web says UK only... must be hard keeping so many disparate sources completely in sync!
#27428 by Bazz
23 Mar 2004, 13:49
Decker, yeah, so many different parts of the org. things quickly get out of sync. one of the penalties of growing a business I guess!

Randalf, you might also check-out this thread, it's not specific to CO but is an interesting discussion on TP's.

http://www.virginflyer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=247
#27450 by randalf
23 Mar 2004, 15:39
Thanks for the info everyone! So it would appear that booking the codeshare to LAX from LHR will earn both miles and Tier Points. Handy!
Virgin Atlantic