This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#533 by shazam
23 Mar 2004, 13:15
Since we are Northerners we have to travel from MAN to LHR to fly to LAX.

In the past we have used BA, the only reason is because the connections with BMI were either far too tight or we had to wait ages. It was never a big issue because a) it's a short flight and b) bags were checked through and we connected airside to the VS terminal.

Last September when we checked in at MAN the BA personnel who checked us in said that the rules for checking bags through changed in April 03 and she couldn't check them all the way to LAX.

When we arrived at LHR we had to collect our cases, and haul them all the way over to the VS terminal.(I know it's not that far, a 15 minute walk, but I don't do walking!:)) It was a real drag and by the time we arrived in the lounge I was in a sorry state.[xx(] (I could only manage a sausage sandwich, two screwdrivers and a quick freshen up!)

Strangley on the return flight it wasn't an issue for VS to check the bags back all the way to MAN, once again VS come through!

We are due to fly to LAX again in April but this time flying BMI from MAN to LHR. We can make the connections back this time because we are flying back from SFO and it arrives earlier than the LAX flight.

Does anyone know if BMI will check my bags all the way through to LAX? I booked the BMI flights separate to the VS flights so they are not on the same ticket. (wasn't even aware that VS could book the BMI one until I came to this website)

Anyway I just want to set my mind at rest, and hopefully have time for a quick hairdo in the lounge this time :D

Cheers
Shaz
#27425 by squibber
23 Mar 2004, 13:30
Shazam,
Yes, my experience has been that VS will book luggage straight through--LAX onward/VS to BMI--and vice versa, even when there are tight connections I have yet to arrive ahead of my bags.It is certainly a pleasure to be free of them until they are needed.
sq
#27440 by shazam
23 Mar 2004, 14:57
Thanks Squibber

In the past when using BA LHR-MAN on the return leg from LAX, it has been rare that our bags have made it back that night.

Not as bad as you may think since the bags have always turned up next morning, delivered to our home PLUS I don't have to think about starting the washing on the night I return home :D

Wouldn't be too happy if they didn't arrive at the holiday end though!

Shaz