This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#564 by Elwood
25 Mar 2004, 13:35
I am about to ask for seat assignments for a flight to LAX and had heard that there are some good views to be had of the Grand Canyon on the approach there.

My question is can anybody advise which side of the plane is better for views or does it make no difference? (My previous flights there have either been from the Pacific or at night.)

Many thanks for any advise/recommendations.
#27722 by Bazz
25 Mar 2004, 13:46
Hi Elwood,

Just been through this myself, the Grand Canyon will be on the left but Las Vegas will be on your right, you will probably have a better view of LAS than the Canyon as the flight path usually brings you closer to LAS, all weather permitting of course.

Over flying LA and views will depend on which wind direction for landing but you should be assured of some pretty spectacular views no matter which side you sit.

Hope this helps.
#27766 by Elwood
25 Mar 2004, 20:38
Bazz,

Thanks for the info. 72H&K it is then. As you say subject to weather etc.

(I thought It Never Rains in Southern California, especially if arriving via a west bound seven forty seven. With apologies to Albert Hammond/Neil Diamond fans and geography students)
#27767 by onionz
25 Mar 2004, 20:45
We had a great view of the Hoover Dam coming into LAS on VS43 last year (I think it was in December). Flight was early, and the Captain couldn't land yet, so he said he'd give us an impromptu scenic trip around Lake Mead and the Dam. He went really low, cornering to the left quite sharply and did a full circle around the dam. I could not believe it - I have never seen this before on a flight! It was a great tour though.
#27781 by pegitt
26 Mar 2004, 01:17
we flew in to lax last april and were sat on the left side (11a) and had a great view of the hoover dam even fron 38k ft and got a good vid clip of it.
#27808 by randalf
26 Mar 2004, 11:20
Flying to LAX last February I was on the right side (J/K) and caught a good view of Las Vegas. It's odd to fly across the place in the day without the lights blazing, but it was still fun to play "spot the hotel" :)
Virgin Atlantic