This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#572 by scrubtech
26 Mar 2004, 01:06
I have never flown AA or Virgin before. My daughter is flying this route in June. AA is giving her a one hour layover in BOS. If all goes well, is this enough time to get her to her flight to LHR?
The tickets were purchased through Travelocity student travel. The only info I have is that airbus A340 jet is requested and there is no seat confirmation, however, with only paying 595 for the tickets I have told her to not expect much in the way of comfortable sleep as it is an overnight flight. Is VS054 anything I should know about?
#27783 by squibber
26 Mar 2004, 02:13
Is she coming in on an international flight or domestic? Virgin fly out of terminal E at Boston--and I believe that American are at B for domestic flights. If she and her bags are booked through she will have to move quickly to catch the shuttle bus (runs at center median outside terminal) to E, although security can sometimes be a lengthy wait. She will enjoy her flight--and will not regret having more time at terminal E as it is quite spare in its amusement or duty free offerings.
sq
#27784 by scrubtech
26 Mar 2004, 02:26
The two young ladies are driving from Spokane to Seattle, catching the AA flight to Boston. THEN the fun begins!! They land in BOS at terminal B at 6:59 am and leave from BOS at terminal E at 8am
Any thoughts?
#27785 by RichardMannion
26 Mar 2004, 08:11
That's too tight I think, they will need to check in for the VS flight as AA will be unable to do this at SEA. Check-in closes up an hour before.

Very, very latest that I have seen is a 45 minute check-in at LHR but they are first going to have to get the terminal from the plane etc. The luggage will be fine as it will get checked through.

Other issue is, that even if by miracle they got to the VS check-in, at that stage they are unlikely to get 2 seats together - I'd phone VS now and ask for 2 seats together (prebook) and also note the booking. TBH, I think they will tell you its too tight too.

Thanks,
Richard
#27787 by jonathan020
26 Mar 2004, 08:45
If it helps, I have flown AA from BOS to London and can confirm you fly out of Terminal B. The shuttle bus does not take too long and AA have a separate line for London passengers. Terminal B when I was there was very busy and small and not very nice at all but the separate line for London was great as it was virtually empty and you are kept separate from the thousands of AA domestic passengers. Once you pass security after check in all of the gates are real close together and even the furthest gate is no longer than a 2 minute walk, its really quite small.

I think that 1 hour is pushing it though. If you get in early then you may have a good chance. You should also hurry as soon as they take off the seatbelt sign on your domestic flight. They normally announce to the cabin to let connecting passengers off first (for all the good that normally makes!) so run run run.
#27794 by AlanA
26 Mar 2004, 09:16
All of the advice assumes that the AA flight leaves on time, does not encounter headwinds etc..
Is there not an earlier flight?
Whilst it looks to be the best price, if they miss the VS flight, they will have to (AFAIK) pay again plus the cost of a hotel room for the night
#27797 by RichardMannion
26 Mar 2004, 09:20
quote:Originally posted by AlanA
All of the advice assumes that the AA flight leaves on time, does not encounter headwinds etc..
Is there not an earlier flight?
Whilst it looks to be the best price, if they miss the VS flight, they will have to (AFAIK) pay again plus the cost of a hotel room for the night

Well VS may be nice and offer to put them on the regular BOS flight which leaves later on in the evening - suppose they could head into Boston for the day. Boston is cool, much better than NYC for shopping!

Thanks,
Richard
#27817 by jonathan020
26 Mar 2004, 13:04
I just wish Virgin could lay on something better than an A343 on this route.
#27818 by jaguarpig
26 Mar 2004, 13:08
I have travelled LHR-BOS-LHR 6 times in the last 20 months and have always been on a 744.Next flight in August is down as a 744.
#27827 by RichardMannion
26 Mar 2004, 14:18
When I last went to BOS in December, I flew out on a A346 in PE.

First time I had flown out in the new PE seats.

Thanks,
Richard
Virgin Atlantic