This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#573 by Pete
26 Mar 2004, 03:01
Was channel hopping tonight, and watched "Jumbo Jet" on Discovery Wings. Although the description in the programme guide portrayed it as a history of the 747, it was more like a look at how Virgin Atlantic operate their flights. Fascinating stuff.

Knowing Discovery Wings, this will come around again (and again and again), so all you Tivo owners should set your Season Pass Manager up now (if you've got a Tivo, you'll know what I mean!).

A big chunk of the programme featured a flight from ground prep through take off to landing, and I'm pretty sure the aircraft was G-VTOP (pre-refit) - although they did do a lot of the standard TV cut-away shots to other VS aircraft including Ladybird and Tubular Belle amongst others. Looks like it was made in 1999, so the cabin layouts already look dated.

Nice description of the cockpit controls and the bits you don't normally see as a passenger (like the crew rest area, the 'attic'). Even made reference to the A380.

Pix
#27801 by JonBuck
26 Mar 2004, 09:56
Pix, I've seen this program before, it seems to flit between Discovery and Discovery Wings - as you say fascinating stuff.
#27823 by jaguarpig
26 Mar 2004, 13:19
Yep seen it a couple of times the FAs are in the old kit.
#27845 by AlanA
26 Mar 2004, 17:16
quote:Originally posted by jaguarpig
Yep seen it a couple of times the FAs are in the old kit.

tell 'em to get the kit off!! [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [8D]