This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#73 by stevep1981
22 Dec 2003, 01:18
Hi there,

I'm flying on 10th Jan, Economy LGW to MCO, and it's only my second time with Virgin. First time was in 1995 on the same route. I rarely fly!

I have a question concerning the in-flight entertainment systems - it looks like i'll get the NOVA system, and it does seem like a bit of a raw deal compared to the other systems Virgin operate. Looking at the line-up, I'm positive I had better choice even back in '94 - I'm sure I remember 3 or 4 TV channels in addition to the movies. I've no idea what the system was though (anyone?)

So to the people who've experienced NOVA - is it any good? Or is it as I suspect, the bottom end of the scale? Also, I'm flying back in Premium Economy, could anyone tell me if the screens are any bigger?

I must admit that I am thankful for what I'll be getting compared to BA and the like, so please don't think I'm being ungrateful - and my primary reason for going with Virgin this time is my experience 8 years ago, which was superb.

Also - my compliments on the site - it's great! Any chance though of something like an FAQ for newbies like me?

Thanks everyone, and happy christmas.

Steve
#25145 by Pete
22 Dec 2003, 01:32
Welcome Steve,

TBS should be able to help you with the LGW-MCO questions, as I believe he's done that route many times.

As for the FAQ, Richard Mannion has been working on a document for some time now, pulling together many of the common questions that come up. Hopefully we'll be able to get that online in the not too distant future.

Pix.
#25151 by The_Banking_Scot
22 Dec 2003, 20:25
Hi stevep1981,

It is highly likey you will get the NOVA system ( unless there is an LHR aircraft swap).

I would consider NOVA to be the poorest IFE on the VS Fleet.

However it does have 6 movie channels and 2 tv channles ( the actual tv programmes will be on a rough 2 hour cycle ( ie v comedy for hours 1-2 and V travel for hours 3-4). Channel 9 will be the sky map.
I think there are close to 14 audio channels.
The PE screens are I think the same size.

If you are lucky on the return flight ( esp if you have status) you may be put into Zone B on the lower deck( rows 11-12).( This will have the Recaro Upper Class seats but standard PE service). The PTV's will come from inside the handrest ( ie open the hand rest, pull out the tv and clsoe it agian).

Have a great flight

Regards

TBS

VS FC Gold
#25154 by stevep1981
23 Dec 2003, 01:10
Hi pixuk and The_Banking_Scot,

Thanks for the replies to my questions!

Bit of a shame to have my fears about the poor choice from NOVA confirmed, but as I said, I'm very aware that it's a lot more than is on offer from other airlines.

Do you know roughly how big the screens are? When I flew with Virgin back in '95 the screens were tiny, with 2 columns of white buttons to the right of the screen which controlled channel, volume etc.

Very useful to hear about the possible upgrade, thanks for the heads-up. I have actually phoned up and reserved our seats in PE (78 H&K), do you think this will affect the likelihood of an upgrade happening? (I don't have my heart set on it, I've only paid for PE, so if I get more then that's great!)

Looking forward to the flight.

Rgds
Steve
#25155 by bcdcih
23 Dec 2003, 10:45
Hi TBS

A true Virgin flyer here, flying to Antigua 3rd Jan UC, lkng forward to the holiday!!!
I think this site is just fantastic with all the info""

Could you tell me what is a "Recaro" UC seat?

all the best
Brian
#25157 by RichardMannion
23 Dec 2003, 16:34
Nova is not too bad really - the core film lineup is the same across all the systems. You can check the current film lineup on the Virgin Atlantic website.

The screens will be much bigger than the one's you had in '95. They are about ~5.5 inches if I remember (diagonally) - the planes used are the 400's from the cancelled Alitalia order that Sir Richard snapped up for bottom dollar. The Recaro seats are exactly that - Recaro Seats :D (http://www.recaro-as.com).

Upgrades do happen on the MCO route as it is very regularly oversold - I would say if you have no status with Virgin, get there early and you may get a treat. Just don't expect it, and you will be pleasantly surprised. One thing to take note of though is that the Upgrade to Zone B of Upper is just a seat upgrade - you will not get the Upper Class service (meal, amenity kit etc.) - you get the PE service but in one of the Upper Class seats.

Thanks,
Richard
Virgin Atlantic