This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#28877 by Nottingham Nick
11 Apr 2004, 21:56
Whatever happens, the people who will come out best will be the lawyers - AGAIN [:(!][:(!]

Nick
#28894 by Decker
12 Apr 2004, 10:00
Reasonable mitigation has to come into it surely? Once the potential problem is clearly identified some degree of personal responsibility must come into it? I mean I guess a lot of us use DVT socks and aspirin when flying? Now with mass production surely airlines could get DVT socks down to less than a £ each and then just give them out to all passengers. Problem is do they then open themselves up to more problems... IANALB... like the way MickyD isn't calling the new salad range "healthier" in case it implies the existing range isn't...
#29460 by Goldenoldie
18 Apr 2004, 06:27
I agree with Decker - personal responsibility does come into it but we have slid into a 'nanny-state'. Personal responsibility does not seem to count for much now.

In reading the following, please note that I have no medical qualification.

Aspirins (at what dose level and when do you take them?), socks and excercise etc may be the advice for most but there are those few amongst us that are at higher risk from DVT who have blood clotting disorders and have to take specific medication prior to long-haul. The issue is that, because there is no general screening programme to identify such conditions, you only find out you have a problem when something goes wrong (general testing would be expensive). Indeed, some medication, I am advised, can also increase the clotting risk. Thus I therefore wonder if those that get DVT have one or more of these other issues and are therefore at higher risk? Clearly, if this were the case, the airline in no way could be held responsible.

Yes, people do suffer DVT after flying long-haul but is there sufficient data to say that these would generally have been prevented by more leg room in Y? Would they have had a DVT had they have not flown? How many of these had blood clotting disorders and/or were on medication that could increase clotting?

Will those with underlying risk factors be given a false sense of security if more leg room in Y was mandated as the 'solution' to DVT?

Leg room in Y should be a matter for market forces and don't forget for the majority (shorter) pax it is fine and provides excellent value; if you don't like the product offered then shop elsewhere. Are car manufacturers obliged to make very small cars suitable for very tall people?

What airlines can do is provide assistance to those few who know that they are at elevated risk so that the risk can be managed. VS provides excellent support here. The only (minor) gripe I have at shared lounges abroard is the lack of a suitable place to inject (US toilets are not very private!) and no hypodermic needle disposal facilities. I am happy to live with that to be able to continue to enjoy the whole travel experience.

Cheers GO
#29468 by AlanA
18 Apr 2004, 13:14
Personally, whilst being a diabetic, I do not (as of yet) suffer from DVT, but I do take solunle asprin just before I fly, but a day after a transatlantic journey, i do suffer from splitting of the skin on my feet (heels mostly) which is quite painful for a few weeks.
No way round it, but I woukd not sue an airline for it!
#29504 by Goldenoldie
19 Apr 2004, 05:20
Alan

I am also diabetic but do not inject for that as well. Perhaps I should sue my parents for passing on 'bad' genes?!
#29506 by AlanA
19 Apr 2004, 09:14
Goldenoldie,
Now, come on, don't give the Americans any ideas, they already sue for most things! :D:D:D:D
#29508 by Nottingham Nick
19 Apr 2004, 10:17
Alan

Not just the Americans - one of the first words kids round our way (sort of)learn about is 'Komp-a-say-shun' [:(!][:(!]

Sue everyone and blow the money on gear - what a great system.

Nick

Sorry - I am just an old cynic
Virgin Atlantic