This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#890 by vvbhargav
17 Apr 2004, 04:56
I am planning to buy some car speakers in US and travel with them to my home country.

My questions is "are car speakers permitted on flights because they are magnetic stuff and if so is there any special procedure to be followed or is there anyone to notify before I board.??"

Any light on this is greatly appreciated.
#29400 by Goldenoldie
17 Apr 2004, 05:30
Welcome to the forum.

The information sent out with VS tickets lists magnetised material as a dangerous article. However, it does go on to state that many of the banned articles can be carried as air cargo if packed in accordance with cargo regulations and that sounds expensive!

cheers

GO
#29401 by vvbhargav
17 Apr 2004, 08:22
thanks

I better ship it rather than take the hassle of carrying.
#29431 by Nottingham Nick
17 Apr 2004, 17:01
I don't know the answer to the question, but playing devil's advocate:) surely lots of pax carry radios / cd players that have speakers. After the Lockerbie bombing there was (quite rightly) a degree of paranoia about any electrical items carried on board.

This seems to have been replaced with the shoe / sharp object obsession - it is one of those where I would be tempted to give the airline a ring before setting off.

Nick