For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#933672 by tontybear
21 Mar 2017, 13:12
WahingtonPost

Ten airports in eight countries,
Egypt,
Jordan,
Kuwait,
Morocco,
Qatar,
Turkey,
Saudi Arabia
and the United Arab Emirates,

Note that there are some countries on this list but that aren't on the travel 'restriction' list.

The airports are:
Queen Alia International Airport (AMM),
Cairo International Airport (CAI),
Ataturk International Airport (IST),
King Abdulaziz International Airport (JED),
King Khalid International Airport (RUH),
Kuwait International Airport (KWI),
Mohammed V International Airport (CMN),
Hamad International Airport (DOH),
Dubai International Airport (DXB),
and Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH).
#933677 by HWVlover
21 Mar 2017, 17:11
#933678 by slinky09
21 Mar 2017, 17:58
This seems to be an onerous restriction that potentially will affect premium travel revenue, especially on EK. I have to assume there is specific intelligence, because shifting these to the hold presents a separate danger to safety nor does it mean that such items cannot continue to be triggered if they are used for terror means. Lots of speculation on other boards that this is economic / political and if there is specific intelligence I wonder why the US includes Dubai but the UK doesn't.

In many years of LH travel I've seen so many ridiculous restrictions dreamt up by bureaucrats who sit at desks that never have any effect, I hope this is another one.
#933683 by Snora
21 Mar 2017, 19:23
Huge ramifications for passengers as it includes cameras, iPads , e-readers as well. I bet many parents keep their children happy on long flights with iPads. There is also the 'security' issue of valuables in checked baggage. I can see a huge market for suitcase wrapping at more airports. Nice little earner . We always use this service when departing Jo'burg but it does add up and queues can form at busy times.
#933782 by property1925
25 Mar 2017, 15:11
I have colleagues who work for two of the main Middle East carriers.

Management are fearful that the laptop ban for entry to some US cities from major ME hubs (and some for UK) will seriously hit their business market. The rules apply for last point of departure, so a change at (say) Dubai will be caught even if point of origin was elsewhere and you where checked through.

There may be price incentives
Virgin Atlantic