For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#936733 by LucyLu
21 Jul 2017, 09:20
Help!

I have to travel for work to the San Francisco area (Oakland) in September for meetings on a Tue/Wed. Much as I would love to travel VS my boss has just sent an email telling us that we can fly LGW to OAK on Norwegian for <£400 going out on the Monday and returning on the Wednesday night.

First problem: I will be knackered if I travel Monday and not fit for all day meetings. I suspect they would allow me to travel over the weekend instead (not sure if I would have to cover hotel costs)
Second problem: Reviews of Norwegian long haul are pretty dire. The thought of doing 11 hours in economy fills me with dread when it sounds like they often use really old aircraft, have poor IFE (if at all) and the service is dire.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can make this a more pleasant experience?
#936736 by mdhayes
21 Jul 2017, 10:20
Check your work policies, our work policy states that if you are required to attend a meeting/conference on the monday then you can fly on the weekend before. My fired just did this exact same light and said it was really good, brand new 787 good IFE and paid for food on demand (which you should be able to expense). Looking at flight radar it is nearly always a new 787 so I wouldn't be put off. Would your company usually let you fly PE or EC? if they allow PE usually then you have a case for premium on Norwegian, if not then I'd be tempted to book economy and then wait for the usual offer of upgrading the flight with cash to premium and pay for that myself.

hope that helps
#936738 by LucyLu
21 Jul 2017, 10:37
Company policy is all flights are Economy. They have said I can fly out at the weekend but I have to pay for my own hotel

I am seriously thinking about booking a reward EC flight on VS and asking the company to pay the taxes and an exit seat
#936745 by gumshoe
21 Jul 2017, 13:11
If there's any way of upgrading from Norwegian Economy to Premium - even if it means paying for the upgrade yourself - I'd consider it.

It's a far better product than VS PE with a lot more legroom and lounge access included.
#936747 by pjh
21 Jul 2017, 13:53
On a par with our travel policy. The only mitigations I can see would be as early a flight as possible on the Monday and /or paying for an upgrade yourself.
#936753 by LucyLu
21 Jul 2017, 15:56
Unfortunately there is only one flight that leaves early afternoon so I have no choice and the cost for premium is about £300 each more (and not available on the way back) so I can't see me getting that unfortunately. I just feel like I am stuck with it....argh!
#936755 by pjh
21 Jul 2017, 16:35
Eggtastico wrote:buy a decent tablet. fill it with you own games, films & shows.

That - or, heaven forfend, a book :) - would deal with the in flight boredom. However there still remains the "be at your best in an all day meeting" a few hours after arriving both jet lagged and also tired after what is likely to be an uncomfortable flight.

Having done this eastwards a few time - the last time on the paragon of comfort, Jet Airways - I have done it by flying overnight and hitting the sack as soon as I arrive. At least I then I get an afternoon and evening to recover.
#937613 by LucyLu
18 Aug 2017, 09:48
Got it all sorted in the end. Held out to see what would happen with flight prices (hoping Norwegian would go up, which they did) and thanks to the VS sale starting yesterday, I got the OK to take VS. Going out on the Saturday and back Thursday so adding a couple of days to the trip. I've booked myself a hotel in central SFO to do some exploring.

I've paid for an exit seat on the way back and having sat in the same seat back from Joburg I know it has loads of legroom so I am happy now.
#937708 by LucyLu
22 Aug 2017, 12:34
I've booked a 6 hour comprehensive city tour for the Sunday and am undecided whether to go to Alcatraz on the Monday or just relax. There were still tickets available last time I looked, just not sure if I want to commit to 2 full days of sightseeing. I'll have to get over to Oakland in the afternoon/evening.
Virgin Atlantic