For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#138 by mitchja
16 Jan 2004, 12:11
Is it just me or is Amex customer service non-existant?

I used to have a Plat Amex card - received dreadful customer service with that - I only receiced the 2000 bonus membership reward point after numerous letters. After various other incidents I cancelled the Plat card. Few months later got an other via iFly for the Gold card where you got 2000 membership rewards and 5000 Flying Club points so I thought I'd give Amex another chance - got the membership reward point but it took 3 phone calls to get the Flying Club points. Last month I decided to swap from paper statements to downloadable ones (expecting them to be in a pdf format like Virgin Mobile now generate online - which they are not)- these are a complete waste of time so I have tried (and failed) to revert back to paper statements. Has anyone else tried to ring customer services? - they are a complete and utter waste of time in my opinion. I also suspect that they have moved their call centre abroad too - which I strongly object to.

Completely diferent service from my Virgin Mastercard - 110% customer service every time without fail.

If you apply for an Amex card - Be warned!!!

Silver Flying Club member since 2000
#25280 by Bazz
16 Jan 2004, 12:31
Sorry to hear of your problems mitchja, the service can sometimes be a bit patchy, it does depend on who you speak to. Personally if I have a query I always ask for the persons name and inform them its for my record. Usually things happen first time.

I've been a member since '78 and during the last four years have used the facility quite a lot, have now got a Centurion and find the service excellent.

I am sure Richard may have more to add, he also moderates on the Amex forum on FlyerTalk.

Bazz
Still Flying
#25284 by RichardMannion
16 Jan 2004, 22:46
Hi,

I can't really add too much on this - I only ever spoke to Gold customer services about 4 times as I was upgraded to Platinum after one month as a cardmember. Platinum used to be good and then it started to detioriate as Centurion took over - I've not spoken to Platinum now for nearly 2.5 years and to be honest towards the end of my Platinum tenure I didn't bother phoning them as I knew more than most of their agents. Now Centurion Service is a whole different matter - it wipes the floor with any other card out there for terms of support. Yes its £650/year but its worth it.

I've not made the switch to e-statements yet, I'm waiting for the incentive to be doen like they did in the US.

Thanks,
Richard
#25288 by Bazz
17 Jan 2004, 12:50
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
I've not made the switch to e-statements yet, I'm waiting for the incentive to be doen like they did in the US.

Thanks,
Richard

Similar here, might as well get something for it! ;)

Bazz
Still Flying
#25323 by jaguarpig
19 Jan 2004, 16:48
I have been a amex member since 89 and platinum for about 7 years the standard of service got so bad(stopping my card by mistake) that I used a MSDW card for a couple of years for 1% cash back then the BAA card for miles now the virgin mastercard for miles(service has been really good when problems have presented) I still keep the amex plat for the insurance cover and currency. What sort of spend do you need to be invited for the Centurion card.

Chris Parr
#25325 by Bazz
19 Jan 2004, 17:04
I don't think there is a set figure in the UK as there appears to be in the US (USD150K per annum). I think here it is determined more by your spending pattern and account history. During the six months berfore I was invited I was spending somewhere between GBP1500 and GBP3500 per month. There is much more on this subject on FlyerTalk in the Amex forum.

Bazz
Still Flying
#25330 by RichardMannion
20 Jan 2004, 00:48
The spend level required varies, in the year leading up to my invitation in October 2001, my average was c. £6500/month.

Take a look at the various threads on FT - if you still ahve any quaestions, let me know.

Thanks,
Richard
#25339 by jaguarpig
20 Jan 2004, 15:46
Thanks I though it must be around 5k+ a month.I do not know if it would be worth scrapping the wife's and my virgin card and put combined spend onto the amex.The greatest advantage I have found with the virgin card is having one account each linked to our fc accounts.We can then top up both our fc accounts, with the amex I was only able to put miles into my fc account.

Chris Parr
#25342 by Bazz
20 Jan 2004, 17:43
Your right Chris, one of the drawbacks with Amex is they will only credit Rewards to the Amex primary account holders preferred hotel or FF program and not a spouse's program. You can however combine miles in FC to qualify for your reward flights, so you still have some flexibility after the transfer. See the thread below for some more info on how this works:

http://www.virginflyer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=133

Bazz
Still Flying
#25347 by jaguarpig
21 Jan 2004, 09:57
I have done this in the past paid 1/2 or a 1/4 from one account and the rest from the other,didnt know you could split mileage on one leg thanks Richard.I booked 4 UC tickets to hkg a couple of weeks ago 2 rewards and 2 paid all sorted with one call to the premier team excellent service.

Chris Parr
#25353 by Bazz
22 Jan 2004, 12:51
Chris,

A question I've been meaning to ask - a digression, sorry! Where did the inspiration for you handle come from? The best I could fathom was a policeman (or ex) who drives a Jaguar but I bet that is not even close?

It's just that I drive a Jag so I guess I am curious ;)

Bazz
Still Flying
#25354 by jaguarpig
22 Jan 2004, 13:38
When I first went online started typing in user names,I type in jaguar because I have always liked jags from being about 3 of cause somebody already has it so I type in the first thing that comes into my very small mind after the jaguar this happened to be pig.It just stuck.Never been a pc and I drive a jeep (could be tempted by the new XJR8).I suppose it could have been bentleydog.
cheers Chris

Chris Parr
#25355 by Bazz
22 Jan 2004, 13:57
Okay, so I give myself 4 out of 10 :)

And yes I agree about the new XJR, they also do a SuperV8 in the XJ range which is the dogs b******s but pricey though. Me, I have the XK8, the one without the SuperCharger [:(] but quick enough as my licence will bear witness! [:(!]

Bazz
Still Flying
#25356 by jaguarpig
22 Jan 2004, 14:40
Funny that, I just got a ticket through this morning courtesy of my wife if she had an XK8 I would be broke.

Chris Parr
Virgin Atlantic