For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#25409 by Pete
27 Jan 2004, 17:14
Richard is the real expert on this subject, but from my own experience I waited about a year after getting my Gold Amex before I was invited to join Platinum and then a couple of years after than I was invited to join Centurion. I don't know if they've relaxed the rules on Platinum, but Centurion is still - as I understand it - invitation only.

Richard, care to share your wisdom on this one?

Pix
#25410 by RichardMannion
27 Jan 2004, 19:38
Hi,

Are we talking about an upgrade to Platinum? If so, just make sure that you have completed the month and have paid hte £4k bill in full, then phone them up and express your interest in the Platinum Card as it more suits your requirements (i.e you travel regularly). I'm sure they will be more than happy to oblige as Platinum is open to all now, it lost its Invitation only staus a long time ago. You can even apply directly for the Platinum card here: https://www66.americanexpress.com/eapp/ ... atinum.jsp

I had Gold for a month before I was upgraded (without asking - only found out when my Gold Card was declined as they had accidently cancelled my GOld when doign the upgrade)) and then got Centurion 18 months later.

Centurion is invite only and will reamin so.

Thanks,
Richard
#25412 by rod10
27 Jan 2004, 21:57
So Richard, when you refer to "upgrades" are you saying the upgrade is complementary?

The reason I ask is that I was previously invited to take Platinum (on many occasions) and more recently, they invited me to take Centurion. I didn't accept either invitation - should I have??
#25584 by RichardMannion
07 Feb 2004, 12:26
Sorry rod10 for not noticing the reply!

No its an offer to move up, you will still have to pay the appropiate annual fee.

The invitation for Centurion is valid for 12 months if I recall, so if you decide that the £650 fee is fine as you will get the use out of the card then go for it!

Thanks,
Richard
#25931 by Flyer
20 Feb 2004, 03:37
Since I have the gold card at the moment and have now completed the first month and paid off the 4K should I ring the gold or platinum people to inquire about upgrading to platinum?
#25936 by Bazz
20 Feb 2004, 13:14
Hi Flyer,

I don't think it matters, either way it shouldn't be a problem.
#26065 by TJ
24 Feb 2004, 14:49
While we're on the subject of Amex cards, I'd just like to ask a question, as I'm considering getting myself an Amex Plat card.

I know this is probably a silly question, but why do the Amex credit cards (Gold and Platinum) seem to be treated so differently with regards to benefits etc than the Amex charge cards?

I'm not sure what to do now, as teh Platinum credit card was what I was going to go for. Now I'm thinking perhaps the charge card would be better...

TJ
#26066 by Nottingham Nick
24 Feb 2004, 15:16
TJ

The main reason that the Plat and Gold charge cards have more benefits than the credit cards can be summed up in one word 'Fee'. The difference in their usage is that the outstanding balance on charge cards has to be paid each month. (Unless you have flexselect- which turns your charge card into a credit card, but that is invitation only I think)

The annual fee charged is in direct proportion to the benefits offered - i.e. the higher fee for Plat card means that you get things like Priority Pass, Gold Hilton Card, Gold Starwood card etc. etc.

The subject of value for money on the cards has been debated ad nauseum on the Flyertalk board, but it boils down to the simple fact that we are all different and have different requirements. If Amex suits your lifestyle - go for it, if not, look for a cheaper (or free) alternative.

In my case the Plat card was more than worth the money as it used to get us entry to the VS Clubhouses (sore point!!) and it gave me some insurance coverage when hiring cars in the US (better coverage for an extra fee as well). The 'free' Priority Pass is a huge benefit if you fly regularly in economy and don't have gold card status. The lounges offered are not up to Clubhouse standards, but there are some nice ones.

Whether or not the gold and plat cards are value for money for you, only you can answer that - have a good trawl round the Amex website and make your decision.

Nick
#26100 by mitchja
25 Feb 2004, 12:10
quote:Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
TJ

In my case the Plat card was more than worth the money as it used to get us entry to the VS Clubhouses (sore point!!)

That's the reason why I downgraded from Plat to Gold. IMHO the service on both these cards leaves a lot to be desired as I have mentioned in previous posts especially now the call centre is off-shore.
Virgin Atlantic