For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#25661 by Bazz
10 Feb 2004, 15:04
Hi Chris,

Depends on your budget I guess, plenty of good hotels to choose from at all prices.

Last time we were there, a couple of years back, we stayed at the Crowne Plaza, Time Square. Good central location right on Broadway, not too pricey, all standard CP amenities and indoor pool.

Bazz
Still Flying
#25662 by jm
10 Feb 2004, 15:34
I looked into NY hotels for Easter, but my wife and I opted for a few days in New Orleans for Mardi Gras instead. :D However, I still have some prices for a few NY hotels written down on my calendar. Because I made the inquiries a few weeks ago, I don't know anything about current availability.

As for the Mark, my wife and I stayed there before and enjoyed it. It's a block or so from MOMA which of course means that it's a block or so from Central Park. There's a restaurant close by, Cafe Boulud, that is definitely worth trying out. I'd recommend going to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel website and checking into the special offers. They have these "fantastic" rates that are good deals, with rooms starting at $299 and suites starting in the low $400's. (All my prices in this e-mail are American dollars.)

Other hotels to consider in that Central Park area include The Pierre, which is a Four Seasons property. The Pierre is right across the street from Central Park (east side). If you click around enough on the website (it can be a maze at times) you can find rates for regular rooms for about $380-$435. I've also found lower rates their in the past by calling the hotel direct. I stayed at the Pierre a few years ago and enjoyed it. Some rooms can be a bit small though for the price. Even if you don't stay at the Pierre, I recommend having a drink in their bar.

The Ritz Carlton has opened up a new central park location (central park south). My wife and I stayed there a few years ago. The standard rooms are spacious for Manhattan (450 sq. feet) and the bathrooms include both a sunken tub and a separate shower. One word of warning. Don't pay for the "deluxe room" instead of the "quality room." They are identical rooms that look into the interior. The only difference is that in the deluxe room you get to look into the interior from a higher floor! Quality rooms at the Ritz were going for $395 for Easter a few weeks ago.

I can't remember what the price of rooms was for The Lowell, a smaller hotel property a few blocks off central park on the upper east side. I always find the best rates for the Lowell by calling the hotel direct: 212-838-1400. You have to let them know you want their special rates or they will quote you their standard rates. The less expensive rooms can be small though. The service at the Lowell is excellent and they have one of the best steak restaurants in town.

Do NOT stay at The Plaza. It is a dump.

If you love fine cheese, DO eat at Picholine on the upper west side.
#25664 by jaguarpig
10 Feb 2004, 16:14
Thanks for your replies love cheese so will check out Picholine & Cafe Boulud.Baz Last time I stayed in NY it was at some dump near Times square the area was so bad it frightened the s*** out of me I am sure it has changed radically from what friends have told me but I think I will stay up town a little.I have a rate of $399 for a mandarin king suite at The Mark.Little bit more at the Ritz on central Park but the web site will not let me book a room with club access unless I have a suite at $1500 is it possible to pay for club access on check-in.I think I could do justice to the caviar cart.

Chris Parr
#25665 by jm
10 Feb 2004, 16:25
The Ritz Carlton Central Park hotel site states:

"Access to The Ritz-Carlton Club Lounge is complimentary for all suite guests. Guests staying in Superior, Deluxe, Avenue and Park View guestrooms may pay a premium of $125 per room per night for access to the Club Lounge."

I'm not kidding about Picholine if you love cheese.
#25666 by jaguarpig
10 Feb 2004, 17:37
We have a place near us in the middle of nowhere called Winteringham Fields nr S****horpe Lincolnshire the cheese selection has to be seen to be believed.They always have around 30 on the trolley all are in top notch condition the cheese waiter told me that around 80% of patrons take the cheese course hence good turn over and good selection.We went to Gary Danko in San Fran last year they had excellent cheese.

Chris Parr
#25667 by jm
10 Feb 2004, 18:18
My wife and I are staying in Kensington for five nights in June. I wish Winteringham Fields was close by. We would definitely be trying that cheese trolley! Do you know of any restaurants in London--Kensington, Chelsea, Knightsbridge in particular--that have a good cheese trolley?
#25670 by RichardMannion
10 Feb 2004, 19:08
I stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria - the service was appalling the first time- I remonstrated with the Head of Rooms about the poor treatment - very ageist. They made it up with a free return trip - which I used July last year and it was much better.

I'm off to NYC in a few weeks, stopping at the Hilton Millenium (The right spelling according to them...) - The rate was good £90/night which suits me as I like nice hotels but am very frugal (tight).

Thanks,
Richard
#25687 by Bazz
11 Feb 2004, 10:25
Hi JM,

If you want an excellent selection I would recommend Petrus at the Berkeley it is one of Gordon Ramsay's empire, the Chef is Marcus Waring. They have about 30 or so on the cheeseboard, Stefan is the waiter who will describe them all lovingly for you. (Stefan was at La Tante Clair which previously occupied this spot, they had about 50 cheeses it was legendary!) The wine list is excellent with many vintage Petrus but they also have about 25-30 wines for under £30 so you dont have to get a second mortgage. :)

The maitre'd is Jean-Philippe and his assitant is Anita. Reservations definitely needed. If you go try to arrive a little early and visit the Blue Bar at the Berkeley, well worth a visit.

http://www.savoygroup.com/

Bazz
Still Flying
#25691 by jm
11 Feb 2004, 14:43
Thanks for the recommendation Bazz. I've already forwarded your description to my wife. My wife and I have five nights of fine dining we'd like to do on our trip to London and I'm sure Petrus will now fill one of those slots. The only other slot we had filled was Daphne's in Knightsbridge. My wife always insists we go there when we travel to London and I like it too. If you have any other recommendations for good restaurants in London I would appreciate hearing them. I also wouldn't mind hearing the name of a good pub or two in the Kensington High Street area. ;)
#25696 by jaguarpig
11 Feb 2004, 17:51
Beat me to it Baz, Mr Ramsay has alway been a champion of good cheese any of his operations in the Savoy group are a good bet.The original location of La Tante Clare houses Gordon Ramsay Royal Hospital Road (number 68 reservations 020 73524441 set Lunch is a comparative bargin and includes a selection of cheese.I have opted for The Mark will let you know what its like.

Chris Parr
#25697 by Pete
11 Feb 2004, 18:28
Hmmmm... methinks it might be a good idea to get Bazz to organise the Christmas do this year... ;)
#25701 by Bazz
11 Feb 2004, 22:05
I have moved this post to a new Topic 'London Restaurants' in this forum as it is nothing to do with NY Hotels.

Please will all members post to the new topic if their post is to do with London eateries or here if it is to do with NY Hotels.

Thank you.

Bazz
Still Flying
#25703 by jm
11 Feb 2004, 22:52
I can't thank you enough Bazz. I forwarded your post to my wife immediately. You should write a London restaurant guide!
#29024 by jaguarpig
13 Apr 2004, 15:46
quote:I have opted for The Mark will let you know what its like.

The Mark was fantastic highly recomended.
#29044 by jm
13 Apr 2004, 18:43
I'm glad to hear that. My wife and I booked one night at The Mark in June before our flight to LHR. What restaurants did you sample?
#29238 by Bazz
15 Apr 2004, 17:13
Hoping to do a weekend in the MO Columbus Circle in October to celebrate our 25th. :)
Virgin Atlantic