For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#254648 by spiceke
31 May 2008, 12:49
Just a quick (ok, after re-reading this, maybe not so quick) note to recomend this great hotel.

We have just come back from a quick jaunt over the Bank Holiday. Flew overnight Friday on VS400 (planned on 3 hours in the CH at LHR, as the family had not been in it, but thanks to the M25 only got an hour there[:(!]) and then had 4 nights in the hotel.

We booked it as it got consistently high scores in Trip Advisor.

I had contacted the hotel about transfers and they mentioned that they could pick us up from the airport (and return us) for AED300 (about 41) each way. Was met before we went through immigration by a representative who told us where to go. Was then taken to a nice gleaming BMW 7 Series. Was given a very welcome cold towel each and cold drinking water. Nice touch.

Then you notice that Dubai is probably the biggest building site in the world.

When we got to the hotel I thought they would be issuing those yellow hard hats for building sites as the driver pointed out the entrance just at the back of major works.

No need to worry though. Drove to the entrance and then in the hotel it was all peace and calm.

Cases were taken from us and we were taken to the Club building (seems to be 3 accommodation blocks - Main building / Club / Towers). Each building has its own reception.

As we had arrived so early they took us to the restaurant for breakfast (I had previously emailed them to ask if we could get into the room early and they said they would do their best). We got in the room at 11am - not too bad at all.

Room was very nice. Although my daughter had a fold up bed, there was plenty of room with a great view out to sea - At the moment under no circumstances should anyone get a 'land view' room. You cannot describe the amount of construction going on.

Room had the standard bathroom / balcony etc. Call me sad, but I do like the slippers that hotels provide !

3 pools. We tended to use the quieter 'infinity' pool.

One reason for always getting a villa in florida is that I can't be ar*ed to get out early for sunbeds. No such worries here. Plenty of beds around all 3 pools.

Beach was excellent - again plenty of beds. It was vitually empty.

I hate cold pools, but you could walk straight into the pools and the sea - never had that before.

The staff could not do enough for you - laying out the towels, bringing cold towels / slushies around to cool you down during the day.

Grounds were impeccable.

Restaurants. Being so hot (about 100 degrees) I have read it is their off season so they try to encourage people to come by giving free half board as opposed to B&B. The dinner is in the Brasserie, but if you choose one of the other restaurants you get a AED100 allowance per person.

When people say 'hotel buffet' to me I would normally say 'thanks, what other restaurants are available?'. Not that I am some food critic (quite the opposite in fact - I like very plain food), but normal buffets leave a lot to be desired. However, this was superb. We went there twice.

Probably better to book a table wherever you want to eat - we nearly got caught out one night through faffing about.

6 (?) restaurants in total - Tried the more traditional arabic one. This was nice. Had many gazeebo type tents with long sofas for people to relax and have a drink in. Saw one guy laying on his side, smoking one of those pipes. Had visions of my daughter going back to school saying she saw a man laying on a sofa with a hooker [:0]

Travel to and from the beach couldn't have been easier. Only 2/3 minutes walk through the manicured grounds, but the golf carts would ferry you to and from.

In the main building there were a few shops - high end jewellers - traditional carpets / gifts etc.

We didn't try the spa so cannot comment.

Turndown service and clenliness of room was second to none.

Free internet - not wifi, but the cable took all of 30 seconds to be delivered.

Many of the rooms are not big enough for 3 people (we originally wanted a Tower Room) so if there are 3 you must get a Deluxe, a Club, or go into the suites.

Must admit, we didn't take advantage of the club lounge as kids are not allowed after 6:30.

All in all, a very nice break and a great hotel. We will definately be going back.

On our next trip I will just use a taxi to and from the airport. I cancelled the BMW on the return trip as the hotel laid on a taxi for us (charged to the room) for AED100. Very nice car, not much different to the BMW for a third of the price.

If you want a 'site seeing' holiday or want to get out and about, don't go to Dubai, but if you want a relaxing pool & beach holiday it does what is says on the tin.

PS Le Meridien is meant to be part of the Starwoods Preferred Guest program. On check-out I gave them my number, but they said that they were not participating in this at the moment. Not sure about SPG as I couldn't get any points when we stayed at the Westin Europa & Regina in Venice in April as they said I had booked through a wholesaler (Otels.com). Missed out on LOADS of Virgin miles by being denied on both occasions.