For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#258673 by mas66
04 Apr 2009, 00:13
Hi All

Has anyone any experience of The Grosvenor House in Dubai... Good or Bad ?

I had a booking at the sister Hotel next door Royal Meridian Beach Resort & Spa..... which is now over booked.... so they have comped me a 1 Bedroom Club Level Suite in The Grosvenor House (annoyingly without even asking but thats another issue).... before I accept or take issue just wonder if anyone has stayed there ?

Cheers

Mark [:D]
#711802 by RedVee
04 Apr 2009, 10:25
I haven't stayed there but have eaten in their Indego restaurant which was very good. I wouldn't exactly describe it as 'next door' - the Grosvenor is on the Marina whilst the Royal Meridian is on the beach. A shuttle runs between the two taking 5 - 10 mins.

A lot of the pavements were up making walking between hotels and restaurants in the area quite difficult. Although this was some time ago, I believe they are building a new Grosvenor Tower at the moment and the construction is affecting the hotel - I'd ask them outright about this. Whilst there is construction all over Dubai, it's a bit different when it's right outside your window!

On the other hand, the club lounge access and suite is good upgrade (unless you'd already booked similar at the Meridien) and the hotel is very smart. Perhaps they might also collect you from the airport for the inconvenience caused?

Regards
RedV
#711806 by scruickshank
04 Apr 2009, 13:52
Hi!

I've not stayed in the GH, but have dined in Buddah Bar which is a big hit with locals and visitors alike and can be very busy. Sometimes difficult to get into but i have seen hotel guests obviously get the red carpet treatment. Bar 44 is a champagne bar on the top of 44th floor of the hotel which is impressive and can again be busy. I have a friend who lives in a suite in the apartment side of the hotel which is extremely nice and i have also seen inside one of the rooms which you have been allocated and they are very nice. Lots of dark wood etc. This hotel does pitch at around 350-500 a night for the cheapest rooms however that may have dropped with the current climate in Dubai.

I dont really have much experience of the pool area etc but the general standard at this hotel is pretty high. The twin tower is under construction at the moment right opposite, but all of Dubai is a building site and regardless of how much building i seem to witness, it has never really effected my trips. Just ever changing roadworks!!!! All in all, if i had extra cash, this would be a serious choice for somewhere to stay due to its standard and location for everything West of the Creek.

Hope this helps.... Enjoy.
#711825 by mas66
04 Apr 2009, 20:05
Thanks all .... its all changed again .... just had a mail from SPG apologising for the confusion and the hotel not contacting me etc they have now moved us back into the Royal Meridian with a suite upgrade (had a regular club level room booked) ... whilst the GH does sound really nice.... this is supposed to be a 'chillout' trip with my wife so will now be able to just mooch around and have easy access to the pool/beach without having to get a shuttle back and forth.

Thanks again

Mark [:D]
#711909 by jpcox1
05 Apr 2009, 18:06
Mark,

Please let me know if you require any further help. Both hotels are within a mile of where I live.

Thanks

Jeremy
Virgin Atlantic