For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#285 by David
18 Feb 2004, 22:55
Just wondering if any one has a Tesco credit card, in particular a platinum one.

Fiona and myself have one (seperate accounts;)) and have both had problems in the past couple of weeks.

These cards are very rarely used, mines has only been used twice in the past 13 months and Fiona's was used last in November.

We have both received separate telephone calls, hers last week and mines today from the fraud department saying someone is trying to buy of the internet, - mostly easyjet on Fionas for amounts around £400 - £500.

We still have both cards in our possession, although they have now been cancelled and there was absolutley no hassle when the transactions were denied by us (shows they must have a decent system for catching the bad ones), but to my knowledge, there has been no way that any receipts were left lying about and the cards have never been used on the internet.(remembering that you need the security number off the back of the card for internet purchases)

I work with credit cards and know about all the little tricks that some unscrupulous (sp?) people can get up to with them, but I am pretty certain these cards have never been tampered with.

Now beginning to wonder if there is a problem with the Tesco card. ie the start number is very close to another companys number or something like that and would be very intrested to hear if anyone else has had a problem with their card.

Thanks

David.
#25892 by buns
19 Feb 2004, 08:09
This might not be what is going on with your card, but one new "trick" is for bad guys to call you at home and say they are from the Fraud Dept of the Card and state that there has been "some unusual actvity".

They sound v.genuine and then ask for the security number of the card adding you can check with the tel no on the card. By the time you have given the number and then checked - Hey Presto - it has been used.

CARD COMPANIES SHOULD NEVER ASK FOR THE SECURITY NUMBER[}:)]
#25897 by Bazz
19 Feb 2004, 11:18
Credit Card companies will never ask for that information. It would be like a bank asking what your PIN or memorable word is.

If someone calls and claims to be from the card issuer, take their name and location and tell them you will ring on your normal contact number and ask to be put through to them - if they are frauds, this will stop them in their tracks.

Report any suspicious telephone calls or emails to the bank or card issuer immediately, they all have dedicated teams working on these, unfortunately, common scams.

A LITTLE TALE OF FRAUD.

Back a few years when we had Amex Plat my wife had her card cloned. She had only used it twice in the preceeding four weeks, once in a local boutique where we live and once in a major London store. The purchase in the London store was on a Saturday and that night a group of about ten people arrived at a London Indian restaurant without a booking. They ran up a bill of GBP495 and paid with an Amex card with my wifes name and number on it. They were not clever enough to copy the magnetic data and the merchant told me (later) that he could not get the card to swipe. He called the details through manually and was given a authorisation number (why wouldn't he? we still had the card so as far as Amex were concerned everything was normal). The woman who paid, signed the card and her signature matched the one on the back so the merchant concluded the transaction and the party left.

The first I new about it was when I logged on the following Tuesday to check my account and found the charge.

It took a while to sort out, Amex were not as quick or thorough as I would have liked/expected and at one time it looked as though we were going to have to cough for the charge but eventually they agreed it was not us and we were given full credit. I assume but do not know that Amex had to swallow the loss as it was not the merchants fault but maybe he had to take the hit?

Incidentally we have never been to the restaurant in question. We assumed the card data had been copied during the transaction at the London store so I contacted their head of security and told them what had happened, I was also able to provide, from the receipt, details of the sales assistant and the time and department in question. What action they took I do not know. I was careful not to accuse this person I simply laid out the facts. It seemed too much of a coincidence to us that the card was used that same night in the same city.
#25905 by David
19 Feb 2004, 13:52
Have had a problem replying to topics, sorry for delay.

This was definately Tesco fraud department, no numbers, either account number or security number were asked for, or given. Only month of birth and 2 letters of mothers maiden name.