For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#909262 by catsilversword
31 Aug 2015, 13:19
Thanks Neil. That's a pain then. I have no issue with paying tolls, but getting a transponder from the rental people is just such a rip off. It wouldn't be so bad it it allowed you to pay for what you use, instead of a flat per day rate. Way beyond what we need.

Does anyone know a route then from Miami to Naples avoid toll roads????
#909280 by catsilversword
31 Aug 2015, 19:46
I did wonder about that option but it looked to me as though you need to have it sent to a US address, or is that not the case?

I did also do some more research, which suggests going by the US41, but also avoiding the 386(I think) in the Miami airport area.
#909297 by Daniel Armstrong
31 Aug 2015, 21:51
I drove from Miami to Orlando a few months back and all the tolls had a section to pay cash - it was about $2 a toll... There were a few, but it was so cheap to be honest - especially vs a Sun Pass as we only went through about 4 the whole time.

I would double check, but to be honest I can imagine them not giving you a cash option - unlike over here on the Dartford bridge!
#909300 by mitchja
31 Aug 2015, 23:19
Most of the tolls around the MIA area are completely automated and don't even have booths or barriers like the ones in the Orlando area, you don't stop or slow down for them. They are in gantries over the roads. The cameras just read your number plate or toll pass fixed to your windscreen as your drive normally under them.

Most SatNavs do offer the option to avoid tolls though when planning journeys.
#909313 by Southroma
01 Sep 2015, 09:12
Hi,

Take a look at the SUNPASS rental cars page: https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Rental companies prices vary quite considerably.

I have found the Alamo system is about the best, if you are not planning to go through that many tolls. Cost is $19.75 maximum fee per rental period, plus tolls.

Dollar is quite expensive unless you expect to use the toll roads extensively. Cost is $45.99 maximum weekly fee which includes all tolls.

Kind regards,

John
#909351 by catsilversword
01 Sep 2015, 17:40
Daniel Armstrong wrote:I drove from Miami to Orlando a few months back and all the tolls had a section to pay cash - it was about $2 a toll... There were a few, but it was so cheap to be honest - especially vs a Sun Pass as we only went through about 4 the whole time.

I would double check, but to be honest I can imagine them not giving you a cash option - unlike over here on the Dartford bridge!

Oh yes, the wonderful Dartford Crossing. Not. Something we have to use frequently.

I think I'll ask the satnav to avoid toll roads, hopefully that will work. Car is already booked with Dollar, and I remember from previous trips, the daily rate they want for a pass. Would happily have a tag from a rental company and pay for whatever we use, even a small extra fee, but can't countenance what Dollar want to charge. Crazy.
#909358 by sky0000547
01 Sep 2015, 21:58
catsilversword wrote:I did wonder about that option but it looked to me as though you need to have it sent to a US address, or is that not the case?

I did also do some more research, which suggests going by the US41, but also avoiding the 386(I think) in the Miami airport area.

No you buy the Sunpass Mini at a retailer like CVS then recharge and activate to use straight away.
#909374 by 15isto2
02 Sep 2015, 11:34
catsilversword wrote:I did wonder about that option but it looked to me as though you need to have it sent to a US address, or is that not the case?

I bought a transponder (full one) years ago and used my UK address with the hotel ZIP code and never had any issues.
#909612 by Monty
07 Sep 2015, 10:46
catsilversword, I have exactly the same problem and wondered if you have come up with a route that avoids the cashless tolls? Or have you decided to buy a mini transponder?
#909635 by catsilversword
07 Sep 2015, 20:14
Monty,

I did some googling and (as above), it looks like avoiding the 386 in the Miami area, and using the US41 will get round it. will try and, and also ask the satnav to avoid tolls and see what happens. Fingers crossed!
#910138 by catsilversword
16 Sep 2015, 15:08
Just an update. Asked at the car rental place and told that no tolls at all accept cash :(. We input 'shortest route' on the satnav from Miami to Naples and it actually avoided the 386 (Miami area) and took us via the 41. No tolls!!!!

Does remain to be seen whether the same will work in reverse...

Also, there have been a couple of news items in over here, about tolls in Florida and how off putting it can be for tourists... though interestingly, it only mentioned tolls themselves and not the issues surrounding the cashless system...
#910142 by mallin
16 Sep 2015, 16:17
Could not agree more Claire, my hubby will not go anywhere there are tolls after we got badly stung one year in Florida, no one had told us about the tolls at the rental office (i suppose renter beware), we got on one stretch of road from the airport and there was a toll no one to pay and we couldn't get off, no money. The toll was horrendous after we got back after a fortnights holiday, we were stung further on the road as well.

WE have just found out the main road in Denver is a toll guess where we are going next summer?

Have a lovely holiday it getting very Autumnal here just waiting for the big storm to hit our area. Linda
#910165 by catsilversword
17 Sep 2015, 00:54
mallin wrote:Could not agree more Claire, my hubby will not go anywhere there are tolls after we got badly stung one year in Florida, no one had told us about the tolls at the rental office (i suppose renter beware), we got on one stretch of road from the airport and there was a toll no one to pay and we couldn't get off, no money. The toll was horrendous after we got back after a fortnights holiday, we were stung further on the road as well.

WE have just found out the main road in Denver is a toll guess where we are going next summer?

Have a lovely holiday it getting very Autumnal here just waiting for the big storm to hit our area. Linda

Oh dear Linda, I can imagine how you must feel about Denver! We avoided going to Dallas a couple of years ago, for the very same reason. It wouldn't be so bad if you could at least go online and pay - you can do this for the Dartford Crossing (at least) in the UK, so why on earth there is no similar facility for toll roads in the US is baffling.

We had a similar experience to the one you describe, for us it was in Canada. We didn't know it was a toll road, there was no way off and no way to pay. And like you, we got stung by the rental company, not just for the toll, but for an outrageous admin fee on top.

There are times I wonder why we keep coming back. Immigration was really, really bad this time, I don't think it's been so awful in a good number of years. And then, when we went to collect the car (we have a Dollar Express card), we went to the express booth, only to be told that, from now on, we can only use the express service if we book the car through a US site, rather than a UK agent! Why??!!! Yes, doesn't make you feel at at welcome :(
Virgin Atlantic