For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#909917 by Toph
12 Sep 2015, 21:33
Evening all,

He Who Must Be Obeyed and I are off for a Road Trip Extravaganzzzzza around California on the 22nd, with a brief detour over to Vegas to see what all the fuss is about. Neither of us have been to the West Coast, so we're a bit clueless on where to go (although we have a list as long as our arms on that part), and specifically where to eat.

Seeing as how you all have been the font of all travelling knowledge so far, I figured I'd ask for help..

We're visiting LA, then on to Vegas, Yosemite (I'm expecting I'll have to cook here. The horror.), Sonoma, San Fran, and then heading back down the coast to Huntington Beach, stopping over at Pismo on the way..

We both like good quality, honest American food, we both LOVE seafood, and although HWMBO isn't a fan of anything overly spicy, I'm a bit more adventurous when it comes to heat..

So, any particularly good food experiences you'd want to pass on? We're not by any stretch food snobs, one of our favourite places to eat in London is a burger joint on Battersea Rise, so ANY suggestions on good food is welcome!

Fanks,

Toph.
#909918 by AlecK
12 Sep 2015, 22:11
Will you be visiting Santa Monica? - if you are Coast or 1Pico at Shutters on the Beach are really good.

In LA we had a really nice breakfast and dinner at The Blvd at the Beverly Wilshire.

In Vegas we enjoyed Charlie Palmers (Mandalay Bay) and Dal Toro (Venetian)
#909919 by Bretty
12 Sep 2015, 22:30
Hi Toph,

Here's a thread about restaurants in San Francisco. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=288281
However, I can highly recommend Tadich Grill on California Street http://www.tadichgrill.com/index.php which has been going since the 1850s. It's primarily seafood and it's quite old fashioned - all the waiters in white coats and long white aprons, very simple inside, busy, busy, busy, great cocktails and atmosphere. It was recommended to us by a sales clerk in Macy's, and it was a great meal.

I know you said your OH isn't into spicy food, but just in case, Dosa on Fillmore offers excellent South Indian food. Loved it. But you'll have to book. http://dosasf.com
Hope that's helpful.
#909922 by ultreen1
13 Sep 2015, 00:09
If you're in Vegas over the weekend I would recommend sterling brunch at ballys...
It might be $90 a head but it's worth it.
Free flow champagne (Perrier Joet) and great food...did I mention free flow champagne? Lol
On a serious note the food on offer is shamazing! There's the a la carte selection as well as the buffet. It's really worth going if you like that sort of thing and if you like drinking champagne at 10am!!!
Darren
#909930 by Toph
13 Sep 2015, 08:52
Some GREAT suggestions here, and in t'other thread Bretty linked to.. I think Dosa and Starbelly are contenders, particularly as the latter is just around the corner from our apartment in the castro..

And AlecK, we'll be in Santa Monica meeting some friends, so will definitely check out lunch at Shutters.. Plus, we're staying at Hotel Wilshire for the first few nights, and breakfast IS the most important meal of the day.. Alongside second breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, tea, dinner, and a quick snack later on. It's important to keep your energy levels up!

Darren, we're staying at the Cosmo in Vegas, and have a couple of free buffets at Wicked Spoon as a result, and was about to say that there's probably not room for another buffet.

Then I realised the utter absurdity of what I was going to say, and stopped myself.

Did you say unlimited champagne? ;)
#909934 by 747Rich
13 Sep 2015, 10:41
For Vegas, if you like fish, I would highly recommend Bartalotta at the Wynn. Pricey, but the fish, service and setting were all amazing.

We have rarely had a bad meal in Vegas, but others we have enjoyed are Joel Rubuchon at MGM, Mix at Mandalay Bay and Le Cirque at the Bellagio.

Hope you have a great time.
#909936 by Bretty
13 Sep 2015, 11:24
Toph wrote:Some GREAT suggestions here, and in t'other thread Bretty linked to.. I think Dosa and Starbelly are contenders, particularly as the latter is just around the corner from our apartment in the castro..

And AlecK, we'll be in Santa Monica meeting some friends, so will definitely check out lunch at Shutters.. Plus, we're staying at Hotel Wilshire for the first few nights, and breakfast IS the most important meal of the day.. Alongside second breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, tea, dinner, and a quick snack later on. It's important to keep your energy levels up!

Darren, we're staying at the Cosmo in Vegas, and have a couple of free buffets at Wicked Spoon as a result, and was about to say that there's probably not room for another buffet.

Then I realised the utter absurdity of what I was going to say, and stopped myself.

Breakfast, second breakfast etc... you sound like a Hobbit! I intended to go to Starbelly, but our plans for the Castro changed. Slightly OT, but if you're going to be in the Castro I can highly recommend the GLBT History Museum. I think it's $5 entry, it's very small, and the exhibits change regularly, but it's well worth it. When we were there in June the exhibit was centred around GLBT people from other ethnicities, and some of the prominent Drag and Trans people and how even in the Castro there used to be further separations in different areas. It was quite poignant too.
#909937 by Toph
13 Sep 2015, 12:27
That's not a bad suggestion Bretty.. Plus, Bianca del Rio is at the theatre the day we arrive, so seems the perfect way to top and tail her.

As it were..

I'd never heard of Red Robin before Donkeh, but if you INSIST, we'll give it a whirl... ;)

Have you eaten at the Country Club at the Wynn, 747Rich? Wondering how Bartowossname compares...
#909943 by SNOMO
13 Sep 2015, 15:01
In Vegas the 'Restaurant at the Top of the Eiffel Tower' - very romantic with fantastic views of the Dancing fountains at Bellagio's and Olive's in Bellagio's for good food and a fantastic wine list and again beautiful views of the Dancing fountains directly outside.
#909963 by ultreen1
13 Sep 2015, 21:38
Toph wrote:Some GREAT suggestions here, and in t'other thread Bretty linked to.. I think Dosa and Starbelly are contenders, particularly as the latter is just around the corner from our apartment in the castro..

Yes I did!!! And it flows faster than a VS clubhouse!
They also serve lobster, king crab and caviar...convinced you need this in your life yet???
As for shows in Vegas...go see Divas Las Vegas!
D
#909970 by PilotWolf
14 Sep 2015, 01:09
The Sardine Factory in Monterey.

There is a quirky burger/American food place just south of Pismo Beach that has pretty reasonable food - http://www.rockandrolldiner.com. We stopped there every year for the last 5 years and not had any issues so some of the Yelp reviews recently about poor service are a little worrying as plan on taking my parents at Christmas.

W.
#909994 by ultreen1
14 Sep 2015, 12:34
Toph wrote:Hahaha, we are sold, believe me! Doesn't take much.. O.o

We're already doing Britney (so to speak), as a friend of a friend has hooked us up, but if we get time to squeeze in another, we'll give it a whirl! :)

We're big britney fans, we were in the gold circle (mosh pit) last time...I got some amazing pics as we were so close to her!! As much as I love her she didn't really put much effort into it, that said I'd still go again. Esp now she's announced a further 2 years!!
We love Vegas and want to go back, we were hoping to go next year for Simons 30th but I don't see it happening! To much going on still!!! >-(
D
#910020 by Toph
14 Sep 2015, 16:40
Yeaaaa, I'm not really cut out for moshing.. Far too civilised for that. ;) I'm told that recently she's been really getting into it and putting the effort in. But hey, it's an experience if nothing else!

Thanks for the recommendations PilotWolf..

I'm going to be the size of a house by the time we come back.... :o/
#910136 by Smid
16 Sep 2015, 14:29
SNOMO wrote:In Vegas the 'Restaurant at the Top of the Eiffel Tower' - very romantic with fantastic views of the Dancing fountains at Bellagio's and Olive's in Bellagio's for good food and a fantastic wine list and again beautiful views of the Dancing fountains directly outside.

Personally never rated the food in there, wasn't particularly impressed. I'd much prefer the 12 oz prime rib with a microbrewed beer from Ellis Island, not far from there... Not high end romantic, but the cheapest prime rib I've ever had, and one of the cheapest beers in Vegas, $1 normally...
#910176 by 747Rich
17 Sep 2015, 10:14
Have to say out last visit to the Eiffel Tower Restaurant wasn't particularly good either, great setting but certainly style over substance in our opinion. The staff were not great either and normally in Vegas, they can't do enough for you pretty much wherever you go
#910181 by Toph
17 Sep 2015, 13:09
I've booked a table at Joe's in LV - the lure of a fine-ass* steak AND crab claws was enough to tempt me in.. Also booked Trestle in SF, which is going to be a bit of a gamble as you don't see the menu until the day you go, but it's looked cowing LUSH every time I've looked..

*as opposed to a fine ass-steak. Really not the same.
#910187 by TimCrawley
17 Sep 2015, 14:28
As you're doing the road trip I guess you'll do the usual Red Rock Canyon, Lake Mead, Valley of Fire & Hoover Dam stuff while around Vegas but if it gets too hot during the day it's nice to drive up Mt Charleston (usually a good 10-15c cooler than centre of Vegas) and have breakfast or lunch on the terrace at Mt Charleston Lodge - great views and tasty food. The new visitors centre is also now open up there (at the roundabout a few miles short of the top) - worth a nose around, not quite as good as the Red Rock one but much better than the old one.
#910211 by Petmadness
17 Sep 2015, 21:06
Some fine recommendations so far, I think you only have time to eat and see Britney :-D As you are travelling down from SF to LA, around Big Sur, is a beautiful restaurant called Nepenthe. It offers fabulous views down the coast, great food, super wines and a fine atmosphere. Dine inside or out its great for lunch, dinner or just a coffee :) Check out their website and webcam

www.nepenthebigsur.com

Enjoy :cool:
#910214 by honey lamb
17 Sep 2015, 21:35
747Rich wrote:Have to say out last visit to the Eiffel Tower Restaurant wasn't particularly good either, great setting but certainly style over substance in our opinion. The staff were not great either and normally in Vegas, they can't do enough for you pretty much wherever you go

I'd agree with that. We ate there for a friend's 50th birthday a couple of years ago and wasn't really that impressed with it.
Virgin Atlantic