For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#910128 by Smid
16 Sep 2015, 13:06
I've done what they call First/Business on AA from likes of LAS to CDG, JFK to LAS, LAX to HNL and those are fine for domestic, better than BA Club Europe.

However, got an option here to go direct from San Diego to Reno on Southwest economy (with bags in the hold), or going via Salt Lake City, Business. What does Delta business involve? Bigger seats? Meals? Drinks? I assume no IFE and such, but interested as to why bother doing the hop... Also I expect some VS TPs might be earned. Access to their lounges? I've got platinum amex and PP....
#910129 by tontybear
16 Sep 2015, 13:24
Food wise it depends in the length of the flight (in miles not time) as to whether you get to choose a snack from a basket or something more substantial.

Here is the wiki from the flyer talk DL board that lists the offerings.

TBH it's hardly inspiring!
Last edited by tontybear on 16 Sep 2015, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
#910130 by Sunseeker
16 Sep 2015, 13:37
Hi I done delta business / first from jfk to mco last month .yes the seats are bigger and we got inflight meals but economy had to pay for snacks the did put mall cop 2 on the monitors but no headphones to hear it.
#910132 by gumshoe
16 Sep 2015, 13:49
On short hops like that with DL in First you'll just get offered a drink and a snack from the basket they bring round - pretzels, dried fruit, cookie etc. The seat is bigger but I'd say the main advantages are free checked bags, priority boarding and 3 VS TPs per leg (so six for SAN-RNO via SLC one way). Your Amex Platinum will get you DL lounge access.

First Class on short hops like that is definitely inferior to Business Class on a mid-haul route like JFK-LAX or SFO-HNL though.
Last edited by gumshoe on 16 Sep 2015, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
#910133 by Smid
16 Sep 2015, 13:53
gumshoe wrote:On short hops like that with DL in First you'll just get offered a drink and a snack from the basket they bring round - pretzels, dried fruit, cookie etc. The advantages are free checked bags, priority boarding and 3 VS TPs per leg (so six for SAN-RNO via SLC one way). Your Amex Platinum will get you DL lounge access.

So seat substantially bigger? Or same as Economy? With middle seat blocked?

I might go with the hop if I can stay an overnight in Salt Lake City.
#910134 by gumshoe
16 Sep 2015, 13:59
No, a bigger seat than economy, not like BA CE. Think roughly along the lines of PE on VS or BA.

First will be a 2-2 config on the A319s, A320s and B737s that tend to operate those routes.
#910135 by David
16 Sep 2015, 14:02
The seats are substantially bigger, 2+2, you sometimes get a meal, drinks are free, some planes do have seat back screens but most have overhead screens

But the biggest bonus on connecting flights is 3 free bags upto 32 kg

If you have a lot of luggage and are flying economy, by the time you have paid for your bags, it's sometimes only a few dollars more to fly 1st

And remember you get tier points in 1st :D

David
Virgin Atlantic