For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#910306 by Maximus
19 Sep 2015, 16:32
Hi V-flyers

I am looking for some advice and guidance from those of you who know The Sunshine State well.

In April we will be off to Miami. We have 13 full days in Florida and will be hiring a car. We have almost total flexibility in where we go in that time. I have booked us in to a South Beach hotel for 5 nights and then we will hit the road. I like planning, not winging it as we go, but do have a tendency to pack too much in, which can exhaust other less energetic types :D

So my question is, is the folowing do-able?

Day 0-4 Miami (inc one day trip out to the Everglades)

Day 5 Head North to see Kennedy Space Center @ Cape Canaverel (Day 6) and then (Day 7) head South or maybe West?

Ideas of where to stop and stay en route there and back would be appreciated

Days 8-13

This is where I am uncertain what to do. Should we head south and spend the rest of our time solely exploring the Keys? Or would a detour across to the West coast be a good idea for 2 days, leaving 3 days for the Keys? Or is that idea totally impractical/ too rushed etc?

Any ideas/ thoughts/ opinions welcomed from those of you have first-hand knowledge.

P.S. We dislike theme parks, we like nature and beaches but are not sunbathers / divers.

Thanks.
#910308 by moodyblue
19 Sep 2015, 17:11
We love Blue Springs State Park. It is near Sandford and offers a chance to enjoy a boardwalk beside the waters of the spring. You can swim if you wish, in safety and there is a lovely 2 hour nature boat trip that leaves at 1.00pm daily. You will likely see 'gators, turtles and a great deal of wildlife. From Orlando area take I4 East and come off at turn for Sandford. Follow 1792 to Orange City where you take a left to the signed park. Thoroughly recommend if you want to re-charge your batteries and see a bit of "real" Florida.
#910309 by Neil
19 Sep 2015, 17:42
The Gulf Coast is fantastic, Clearwater, St Pete's, Fort Myers and especially Naples are all well worth a visit especially if you like beaches, they are stunning.

The Keys are also defiantly worth exploring, Key West is the obvious destination, it's a lot of fun, but not so good for beaches.

The thing you have to really consider is the driving times. It's a good 3 hours from Miami to Key West and at least 2 and a bit hours over to Naples from Miami. Orlando area is 4 hours to Naples and it's the same from Naples to Key West. I'd really plan a route so you aren't spending all your time driving.

The other thing to consider and another plus for deciding in advance is that the hotels on both the Gulf Coast and the Keys are (very)expensive, even more so at a very popular time like April so pre-planning will allow you to find some deals.
#910310 by mikethe3rd
19 Sep 2015, 17:45
I really love the west coast and the sunsets and seafood are unbeatable.

We tend to use Cape Coral as our base and then explore the area by boat. Some of my favourite spots around that area include Cayo Costa - a state park (beautiful beach!) only accessible by boat.

Captiva, North Captiva and Sanibel are all beautiful, too. Raiding the OHs Instagram feed. She reads but never posts, hello!

It's relatively cheap to stay and boat in the area and no license is required. I'm not sure what hiljill gets up to in her time in Cape Coral but might be worth asking her for more west coast recommendations. We rent a private villa for a week.

Never made it as south as Naples but people talk highly of it. My only other recommendation would be a night at Jelly Rolls if you get close to Orlando!
#910311 by DragonLady
19 Sep 2015, 18:08
IMHO 3 hours from Miami to Key West is pure fantasy. Nearer 4 ( and even longer if you've slow moving traffic in front of you).
What about Northern Florida ? Panhandle area or the East coast( St Augustine area) ?
Kennedy Space centre is worth a trip as is Daytona ( particularly the drive experience at the track :) ).
#910312 by hiljil
19 Sep 2015, 18:17
Yes we rent a private villa on the Caloosahatchee river. As has been said, wonderful seafood and sunsets. Days out boating are fun. The beaches on the west coast are beautiful for just an evening stroll. There are plenty of wild life parks & nature trails. The area north of Fort Myers round Venice and Englewood tends to be a bit cheaper on the whole. I enjoyed a very restful stay on Sanibel & for a more upbeat visit I like visiting Naples . As Neil stated, the distances round Florida can make one bite off more than one can chew if you are not careful. You could always stay near Naples and take the boat trip down to Key West for a break from the car. Except, I must say I enjoyed the drive down the keys !!!

Sorry - I'm not being very helpful !! :-O
Love the photos mikethe3rd.
#910328 by catsilversword
20 Sep 2015, 00:53
I'd recommend the Gulf Coast too. Fort Myers, Naples (where we currently are!), Port Charlotte, Englewood, Punta Gorda, Rotonda - any or all of those are unlikely to disappoint.
#910334 by Maximus
20 Sep 2015, 07:36
Thank you all for the replies and fantastic photos Mike. I am begining to think that maybe a short hop to the Gulf coast will not do it the justice it deserves and an entire seperate trip is needed to explore the area. Any exscuse for another trip :D Perhaps sticking to Miami and The Keys this trip may be more realisitic? I shall see. I think I need to hit the guide books.
#910474 by Harpers Tate
22 Sep 2015, 15:00
Sarasota esp. near Lido Key is my favorite. With a visit to Anna Maria Island. And a few dinners at your choice of places at Armand's Circle -all are pretty good or better. Go back to Miami via the old road West - East - route 41 - and not the Interstate. It's way more interesting and you can stop off at visitor centers en route.
Virgin Atlantic