For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#910698 by gilly
27 Sep 2015, 15:27
Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place, but I haven't logged in for ages - and it's all changed!

Anyway, I was looking for info about Emirates (LHR to SGN specifically) so can anyone point me in the right direction please? What we wanted to know was, does anyone have any comments on their Business seats on the 380?

Many thanks.
Last edited by gilly on 27 Sep 2015, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
#910699 by tontybear
27 Sep 2015, 15:44
I know HWVLover has flown them and possibly Honey Lamb and they almost certainly have written trip reports so have a search for those. Not sure if they were on the 380 though.

(you might want to change the thread title to state you want info on Emirates)
#910700 by pjh
27 Sep 2015, 15:56
gilly wrote:.....if I am posting in the wrong place, but I haven't logged in for ages - and it's all changed!

Anyway, I was looking for info about Emirates (LHR to SGN specifically) so can anyone point me in the right direction please? What we wanted to know was, does anyone have any comments on their Business seats on the 380?

Many thanks.

On the downside, some find them a little narrow and the colour scheme is not to everyone's taste. IFE is censored somewhat and though many many channels, many are foreign language.

On the upside, I found them comfortable to sleep in. Well equipped from an IFE perspective, with both the main screen and a small tablet device. Plenty of shelf and foot space, and a small minibar of soft drinks.

Though the centre seats do allow a couple to sit together, they are pointing firmly forward so there's no dining together.

On the double upside there's the bar area at the back so if you don't like the seats you can spend time away from them.

A rather rambling TR here.
#910713 by honey lamb
28 Sep 2015, 00:27
I travelled in Business in both the 777 and the A380. The latter was by accident as I missed the connection to DUB and at my request EK re-routed me via London and (going above and beyond what was required) to Cork.

I have mixed feelings about the 777s. To me the experience was more PE+ than Business.

The A380 was great. I was disgruntled (but eternally grateful about the entire re-routing) at being assigned a B seat, thinking someone would be clambering over my legs. How wrong was I. OK it was an aisle seat but where the A seat should have been was a shelf/table over which you could spread your belongings after take off. This shelf is over the space of the A seat behind to enable the flat bed. Therefore the window seats are on alternate rows and the aisle seats similarly. As has been mentioned, the centre section is adjacent seats.

The best part of Business is the bar at the back of the plane. It beats the bar in UC into a cocked hat. It is large and spacious with padded seating round the fuselage. There are a variety of snacks including hot ones. The only disappointment is the lack of bar stools as there's nothing like a bar stool for starting a conversation.

Another negative aspect of EK generally is the IFE. They advertise a high number of films but because their market is so wide there is a high proportion of foreign language films. And don't get me started on the censorship. Ever watched MamaMia? If so you will remember the scene when Julie Walters is invited on to the Swedish bloke's boat for breakfast and he turns round to reveal that all he is wearing is the apron? That 5 second shot of his bare bum has been edited out!! :-O :blush:
#910716 by pjh
28 Sep 2015, 08:37
honey lamb wrote:And don't get me started on the censorship. Ever watched MamaMia? If so you will remember the scene when Julie Walters is invited on to the Swedish bloke's boat for breakfast and he turns round to reveal that all he is wearing is the apron? That 5 second shot of his bare bum has been edited out!! :-O :blush:

Now I just *knew* that would be mentioned...

If you look at the "related" posts at the foot of this thread there are other threads referenced where the A380 EK business offering is discussed in some detail.
#910740 by gilly
28 Sep 2015, 20:21
Thanks for the comments and the references below. Food for thought.
#910746 by pjh
29 Sep 2015, 08:13
gilly wrote:Thanks for the comments and the references below. Food for thought.

I've booked with them again to take us to South Africa next year, and put in my seat assignments yesterday. Unfortunately the ex Dubia leg is a 777, but them's the breaks and I enjoyed my experience in J on one of those back from Bangalore to Dubai last Christmas.

honey lamb wrote:The best part of Business is the bar at the back of the plane. It beats the bar in UC into a cocked hat. It is large and spacious with padded seating round the fuselage. There are a variety of snacks including hot ones.

Including, praise the lord, nuts.
honey lamb wrote:The only disappointment is the lack of bar stools as there's nothing like a bar stool for starting a conversation.

I have found that bar stools tend to be good listeners but rather restricted when it comes to conversation.
#910825 by HWVlover
30 Sep 2015, 12:45
honey lamb wrote:I travelled in Business in both the 777 and the A380.

Me too, over 20 times now.

J in the 777er is fine. And if you can get in the two row (6and 7) mini front cabin it is like being on a private jet. Fabulous.

J on the 380 is super, I love the window mini- suite. Comfortable and loads of storage space. Be aware that if you, as a couple,, opt for the centre seats, that different sides of the plane have different cabin crew...so you might be eating out of sync!

While I appreciate that it is different strokes for different folks, to me the food and booze offerings are also excellent, superior to most J offerings I have experienced. Cabin crew are like every airline, some are outstanding, some less so.

I am also a big fan of Etihad who might be worth a look. They are very customer focused.." we want our customers getting off wanting to get back on". Again excellent food and booze offerings and a very nice lounge at Heathrow too, my favourite.
#910826 by pjh
30 Sep 2015, 12:54
HWVlover wrote:
J in the 777er is fine. And if you can get in the two row (6and 7) mini front cabin it is like being on a private jet. Fabulous.

Just nabbed those for CPT-DXB next year

HWVlover wrote:J on the 380 is super, I love the window mini- suite. Comfortable and loads of storage space. Be aware that if you, as a couple,, opt for the centre seats, that different sides of the plane have different cabin crew...so you might be eating out of sync!

I can attest to that..

HWVlover wrote:While I appreciate that it is different strokes for different folks, to me the food and booze offerings are also excellent, superior to most J offerings I have experienced.

And that also, as long as you avoid the QF import "Signature Reuben sandwich", but hopefully they've realised the error of their ways.
Virgin Atlantic