For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#911262 by mrsw
08 Oct 2015, 11:32
As v-flyers gave me so much help with my itinerary, I thought I’d write a separate post on the road trip. I know you all like the details, so details you will get.

Are you sitting comfortably?

After our most wonderful outbound flight, we went to sleep and didn’t wake up until the next morning.

Well rested, we went to Brenda’s French Soul Food for a much needed breakfast. I had found this place on tripadvisor, but getting there took some doing. We walked through Tenderloin, which was quite a sketchy area at best. Sadly there were homeless people steps apart, some of whom shouting at nothing/no one. Worse still, there were actual human poo on the street :mrgreen: . Once we got there safely, the food (crisp oyster omelette for me, and what looked like beef stew for hubby, both served with cream biscuits (read: scones) and “grits”) and coffee were both delicious, but definitely too much. Very satisfied, we headed to the City Hall ready for the guided tour at 10am. It was a great insight into the city’s history, and it was sweet to see the wedding ceremonies that were held that morning.

We wandered through Union Square, and visited the Coit Tower, before taking a stroll past China Town, the Ferry Building, to Pier 33 for the Alcatraz evening tour. The tour was great, if not a little too crowded. Having come from a day topping 30 degrees, I was in a dress with a cardigan and was positively freezing. My advice to anyone going to Alcatraz is to wrap up warm! We ended the tour with a trip to The Hidden Vine, a lovely wine bar in the financial district (with a very attractive bar man, I should add ;-) ), on our way back to the hotel. It had amazing atmosphere, food, and wine.

This was our second visit to San Fran, and we were interested in seeing how much we connected with the city this time. For some reason, I still haven’t fallen in love with it. It’s hard to explain, but I will always remember the moment the Manhattan skyline emerged before my eyes, and the feeling of instantly leaving a piece of my heart there, but although I’ve tried, the same just didn’t happen for me here.

Anyhow, very early on day 3, we picked up our convertible from Dollar. Although my research last year suggested that that very branch only had Mustang in that class, things had clearly changed and we got an Chevvy Camaro, which is an “or similar”. “We’ve got a really nice car for you, an upgrade saving you $80 per day!”. Roll eyes. To be fair, we were handed the keys in the basement to what appeared to be a really nice car indeed (not to mention it’s absolutely huge). I had to ask one of the staff to go through the controls with us, and his response was “sure, what did you want to know?”. How about everything? :-O Although the service left much to be desired, we liked the car and it was a bonus that it had a mere 2k miles on the clock. As an aside, I had booked the car via US Rentacar, and got a very good price including CDW and no one-way drop off fees since we will be returning it to LAS. The only problem was, we sort of packed on the basis of bags that would fit neatly into the “trunk” of a Mustang, and not a Camaro, which has left hubby having to lift our suitcase in and out of the back seat everyday for the rest of the trip.

Off we went to Yosemite. The drive took around 4.5 hours, and we made a stop in Oakdale on the way. We visited Moss Rose bakery (excellent) to stock up on supplies, and had an early lunch at Cahoots Corner Café which was quite an experience! Raspberry lemonade for one in a huge Mason jar, anyone? And there’s endless free refills. We shared a portion of breakfast burritos, and a bowl of fruit. It was a very sweet American diner.

After some hairpins turn which made me slightly nauseous, we were in Yosemite! What a truly stunning place, even during a drought. We were staying at the bear-proof Stoneman house (which seemed to me like a wooden shack, but I would choose it any day over a tent) within Curry Village in the valley. We weren’t able to check in until after 5pm, so decided to make the most of the afternoon by doing the Mist Trail hike, which was beautiful and not too strenuous. We then took the free shuttle to the Ahwahnee dining room for dinner, but sadly they were fully booked until 8:30pm. By this point I was feeling extremely tired, to the extent that I was struggling to keep my eyes open at all so we headed back and I went straight to bed.

On day 4 we had planned on doing the 4-mile trail, but I woke up feeling under the weather with a slight fever. Instead of a strenuous hike (it would’ve been just over 10 miles in total, the whole “4-mile” thing is apparently misleading), hubby drove us to Glacier Point which would’ve been the finishing line of the hike, where we enjoyed a breath-taking vista. I was feeling worse for wear after such excitement, so returned to the “shack” for an afternoon nap, whilst feeling very grateful that we weren’t camping. The hubby spent the afternoon walking in Yosemite Valley, and standing in where Mirror Lake would’ve been had there not been a massive drought, and finished the day with some pizza from Curry Village, which he enjoyed.

Day 5 included driving to Carmel and Point Lobos state reserve before heading to our motel (Stage Coach Lodge) for 2 nights. I was feeling much better, and quite pleased and relieved with the quick recovery. Carmel was quint, with a lovely beach and we had a nice seafood lunch at AW Shucks. Point Lobos was scenic, and I was able to manage a few beautiful walks, seeing sea lions, otters and seals, as well as various birds. We were both pretty wiped out by the time we got to the motel, and had a very early night (I’m starting to realise that this doesn’t necessary sound like someone’s 30th celebration trip! What can I say? We are wise beyond our years :-D ). Apparently I was very lucky to have booked the motel super early (some may call that good planning ;-) ), since there happened to be a Porsche event in town and the hotel prices had now tripled.

Day 6 included the Monterey Aquarium, followed by an excellent and reasonably priced sushi lunch at Crystal Fish (more in the actual Monterey town rather than the touristy areas), before picking up the car to do the 17-mile drive. It was pretty scenic, and although we don’t play golf, it was nice to see Pebble Beach, and we ended the day before sunset by visiting Sticks at Spanish Bay. We had wanted to go to Roy’s, but it only had two seats at the bar so we passed. Sticks was great. I had the most amazing burger (almost as good as the one from the Graze menu), and hubby enjoyed the fish tacos. Better still, they gave us the $10 credit off the bill to reimburse us for the entrance fee.

Day 7 was hubby’s birthday, and we began our drive down the Big Sur. By this point we had developed serious Mustang envy, while at the same time being completely satisfied with our car. Every time one drove by (and there were lots of them on the Hwy 1), my eyes turned green :-O . I especially liked the way their indicator lights worked… but I digress. We enjoyed the moody views before the morning fog lifted, and going over Bixby Bridge, before our first stop at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park to see the unique McWay Falls. Unlike many tourists, we also spent a little bit of time walking the Edwolsden trail after seeing the falls and enjoying our “big tree experience” since Mariposa Grove (near Yosemite) was closed.

We continued our scenic journey down the Big Sur towards Hearst Castle, and made a brief stop to see the massive elephant seals. I had prebooked the Grand Rooms tour at Hearst Castle for 14:30, and since we arrived around an hour early, the nice lady at the ticket desk moved us forward to the 13:50 tour, leaving us just enough time to eat our delicious sandwich which we had picked up from the Big Sur deli. Hearst Castle was unbelievable, and offered fantastic views of the coastline.

After the tour, we drove on to our hotel, Moonstone Landing, on Moonstone beach in Cambria. As it was hubby’s birthday, I wanted to take him to the Sea Chest restaurant next door, which was a seafood restaurant with amazing reviews. The only downside was that they do not offer a reservation policy, so people start queuing long before the 17:30 opening to be seated in time for sunset. We joined the queue at 16:45 (this was a Saturday), by which time there were already 15-20 people ahead of us, many of whom came well prepared with deck chairs :-O and bottles of wine and beer! We got chatting to a lovely local couple in front, and had a blast. I’d love to share more details with you, but we are bound by the “rules and regs”, one of which is “what happens in line stays in line”. ;-) Time flew and we got in as the door opened, and it was worth the wait! We shared the best calamari ever as a starter, and a large ciopinno between us, all washed down with some local beers. The sunset over the beach was beautiful as well, and we finished evening very stuffed, so benefited from a walk down the boardwalk on the beach.

Day 8 had a lot of driving for the hubby. We made stops in Morro Bay, where we spotted a couple of otters swimming in the bay, Pismo Beach where we watched a surfing competition for a few minutes, and Solvang (a very Danish town), where we, well, shared a Danish at a cafe. We continued down to Santa Barbara, and waited for about 30 minutes before a table became available at the Shellfish Co on Stearns Wharf. Another nice seafood meal later, we walked along the beach in Santa Barbara before heading to Camarillo Outlets. The shopping was pretty great, and we had a quick bite to eat before driving into LA. To my surprise, traffic was still really bad given it was around 9:30/10pm on a Sunday evening. We were beginning our Holiday Inn Express (HIX) hopping for the next three nights in LA, as my quest to obtain 2 free night certificates with IHG as part of their Accelerate promotion for our stay in NYC in one of the Intercontinental next summer. The first HIX is in what IHG calls “Downtown West”, otherwise known as “the ghetto”. :-O

8am on Day 9, we were picked up by Joss, our tour guide for the next 5 hours, to go on the LA Highlights tour. I had booked him on California Dream Tours, and luckily we were his only guests that morning so it turned out to be a private tour! Joss took us to Beverly Hills, Rodeo drive, Hollywood Boulevard (for Chinese theatre and the walk of fame, as well as the Roosevelt hotel), followed by downtown (the Disney Concert hall etc), finishing the tour at Olvera Street where he treated us to some tacos. He was excellent – very enthusiastic and easy going, and clearly loved LA as well as what he does. He did find it really funny, though, that we were staying in “the ghetto”!

In the afternoon, we were moving onto the next HIX at Santa Monica boulevard. From there, we took Uber to Venice beach, and walked to Santa Monica on the beach front. It was a lovely walk, if not one that slightly stank too much of weed for our liking. Santa Monica was buzzing, where we enjoyed a cocktail/beer at The Independent bar (happy hour), before having dinner at Tender Greens, a healthy (yet delicious) restaurant chain. It was an LA experience that we wanted to have.

The position of this HIX placed us perfectly for the Getty Centre, where we spent the morning of day 10. It was spectacular, with a wonderful collection of art, and amazing architecture. We enjoyed lunch at the restaurant, though my food could’ve done with some more seasoning. I also helped a nice Chinese couple at the next table, who were brave enough to travel on their own (ie not with a tour group) on a similar road trip, without being able to speak much English (they were wondering what tomato was). That’s my good deed done for the day. :cool:

After lunch, we went to Warner Brothers Studios for the tour. We had a bad start – the TomTom had taken us to Gate 4, which we soon realised was the wrong gate simply based on the cars we were seeing. Yep, it was the working entrance, for celebrities. Upon turning around, just as hubby started the car, someone in sunglasses who I assumed was a celebrity, had just finished chatting with his mates, began to cross the road and we nearly ran him over! “Whoa!” he shouted at me (in the passenger seat), and how I wished we didn’t have the roof down then. :blush: After the near miss, we went to Gate 6, and were annoyed to find that in addition to the $62 each that they charged for the tour (which I thought was outrageous), they wanted $10 for parking. Cheeky. $10 paid over begrudgingly, we went through to the ticket office. “What’s the earliest tour you could get us on please?” I asked. “the 3:15”, the chap said with what I could only describe as the voice of Micky Mouse. I looked at my watch – allowing 2.5 hours for the tour, we would still be able to make it in time for sunset at the Griffith Observatory. Great. Money handed over and with tickets in hand, we walked over to the chap standing about 3 metres from the ticket desk. “Your tour will start at 3:30, as the 3:15 is full.” I turned to my hubby, and whispered “I’m about to kick off”, and watched his amazement when I said to the poor chap “No, that is too late. This man told us 30 seconds ago that we are going on the 3:15. I’ve just about had enough. We need to be on the 3:15 or I would like a refund.” >-( The poor chap clearly didn’t see such this coming, but dealt with my outburst calmly. After having a quiet word with his wonderful colleague Micky, he gave us the pass for the 3:15 tour. Despite feeling a little embarrassed about my outburst, I felt quite pleased with the result, especially when our tour guide began the tour by saying “oh, don’t we have a very full group today” as we boarded the little cart. :-P To be fair, the tour was excellent, and we very much enjoyed ourselves.

We then made our way to the Griffith Observatory, not long before the sun began to set. Good job we went on the 3:15 eh? :cool: It was a spectacular sight, and gave us a new perspective of the city. Shortly after sunset, a huge monocular were set up by the staff, and we saw Saturn and its signature ring! It was truly incredible, though the experience was somewhat shadowed by a passer-by man asking the staff “what’s the difference between the sun and a star?” On that note, we made our way to the third HIX, in North Hollywood for the night. Final drama of the day happened when I had woken up in the car when I felt a sudden jolt :-O , before being reassured by hubby that “we haven’t crashed. I hit the brake very hard as I didn’t realise the car in front was not moving”. Oh dear, I think it’s time that we began sharing the driving.

As I have alluded to in the comments of my outbound TR, to put it mildly, I am not a confident driver even when driving on the left of the road, whereas the hubby is a natural (or so I thought). For that reason, and having seen the size of the car, I was not keen on the idea of driving. However, we were Vegas-bound tomorrow, with a long, boring but an apparently easy drive, and given that we have quite a bit of driving coming up going to the Grand Canyon and back (and having witnessed the two near misses in one day), I knew that I had to give it a try.

We enjoyed LA more than expected, perhaps because we had average expectations and a good introduction to it at the beginning with the highlights tour. That said, I don’t think we are in any rush to come back – it is very much an urban sprawl, and with its terrible traffic and lack of a good public transport system, it doesn’t land itself too well for tourists.

Day 11 came, and we set off by 8am towards Vegas. Hubby drove us to Kingsman before we switched over, and I actually found the drive surprisingly easy. The only bit that I struggled with was to stay within the speed limit :-D . Two hours later, we got to Fashion Outlets just outside Vegas, and popped in for a quick wander, ending up with a couple of items again. 1.5 hours later, hubby took over the drive once again and safely got us to our hotel for the next two nights at the Mirage.

This was our first time in Vegas, and we were shocked by the size of the hotel. We headed to the Bellagio for a late lunch at its buffet, and it was fabulous! The timing actually worked out for our advantage, since during the meal the dinner items came out as well, so many snow crab legs were consumed :-P . We then attempted to walk off our huge meal by visiting the Forum shops at the Caesars, the Paris and the Flamingo (for the flamingos), before heading to our pre-booked show of Jubilee at Bally’s. Now this was an old-fashioned Vegas-style show, including lots and lots of topless showgirls. It was like a variety show, and truthfully we found it pretty underwhelming.

Day 12 included a lie in, wandering around the Venetian, and going to Top of the World at Stratosphere for lunch. I had popped a motion sickness tablet in advance of the spinning restaurant, and am so glad I did, as the whole thing really was quite disorientating. The view was great, with equally good service and food. We were given a window table, and a little birthday cake for the hubby which was a very nice touch.

In the afternoon we headed to the Premium Outlets in Las Vegas North. The selection of shops was excellent there, with Marc by Marc Jacobs (recently opened), and Samsonite as well which I haven’t seen in other outlets during this trip. I then had to have a little nap to recover from the Dramamine (that stuff really knocks me out, even the non-drowsy version), before going to see Absinthe in the tent at Caesars Palace, and this was one of the best things we’ve ever seen! We would highly recommend it to anyone who is over 18 and not easily offended. Do check it out if you are going to Vegas soon! We paid $96 each and it was worth every penny.

A late dinner was consumed at Hash House a go go (at the Linq), and the ribs we had were wonderful. We also watched two guys at the next table eat a portion of chicken and waffles each, and you should have seen the portion size! :-O We finished the night with a brief bit of gambling on a video Blackjack machine back at the Mirage, since this was the only place I could track down a $5 minimum bet. I should explain that I do not let myself gamble (being well aware of my Chinese genes) other than for the Grand National, for fear of getting addicted and losing all my life savings. Having just researched the rules of blackjack the day before, even $5 seemed like a lot to lose instantly per hand. But off we went, and hubby, who was put in charge of cash, gave me $30 to play. That lasted less than 5 minutes, and in fact, it ran out even before my free drink came! I vaguely remember cheering when I won the first hand, and then it was all quite a blur :blush: . What I also vaguely recall was the extreme annoyance and bitterness I felt when the hubby told me that it was time to call it a night as I had ran out of cash. ;-) This is why I shouldn’t gamble!

Day 13 was a big one, as we were driving to Grand Canyon. When I say we, I actually mean it this time as we shared the driving again. It was quite a long journey (including a stop at the Hoover Dam, a lunch break and a quick shop at Walmart to get family-sized peanut butter M&Ms), and by the time we got to the El Tovar hotel, it was about 30 minutes before sunset. Sunset was absolutely beautiful, and the colours really came to life. We tried the Arizona grown prime ribs at the Bright Angel restaurant for dinner, and it was another good meal.

Early start on Day 14, where we picked up our bikes from the Bright Angel Café at the visitor centre at 8:30. We spent the next 5 hours cycling to Hermit’s rest and back, and what a fabulous way to see the Grand Canyon! The sheer scale of the thing is incredible. We enjoyed every minute of it (even those minutes going up the 6% incline), and wished our visit was longer. We agreed to come back again one day when we could try hiking down to the bottom and back. We drove back to Vegas in the afternoon, this time to the Four Seasons for our final night of the trip. :D

Now that is a classy hotel. I understand that this is one of the not as nice hotels under the Four Seasons name, but as this is our first time staying with them, we found it pretty amazing. Upon check in, we needed to go and return the car to LAS, and every piece of our luggage and shopping (including pretty random bits and bobs at this point – big bottles of water, toilet roll, open bags of jerky, you name it :blush: ) was taken care of without asking. Despite how scruffy we must’ve looked having arrived after a morning of cycling followed by a roof down trip (especially comparing to many guests who were in dinner jackets and gowns for some black tie event), they offered us late check-out for free. All of this just made the service at Dollar car returns look even worse in comparison – there were 3 long queues of cars waiting to be inspected, with many people needing to catch a plane shortly and no staff. That said, they barely looked at our car and signed it off with no issue or additional charge, which is just as well as no inspection or notes were done when we checked it out in San Fran either.

A quick taxi ride took us back to the oasis of a hotel, and we decided to have dinner at the Press Bar in the lobby. Both the food and the cocktail and beer were very yummy.

The last morning of the trip was spent at the Mandalay Bay casino (in the same building) on the multi-game machines which had minimum bets of 25 cents (as it turned out, not challenging or exciting enough for my liking) and $1, as we had some dollars to spend. Still, I managed to get myself quite worked up although only managed to lose $10 overall over a couple of hours. :cool: We decided that I could perhaps calm down by spending the final hour and a half at the lovely pool at the hotel, and it was a very soothing experience indeed.

Needless to say, we felt pretty sad to leave the hotel, and even more blue that our road trip was coming to an end.

I’m going to stop here (if I haven’t already lost you already :-P ), and save the rest for the return TR. It was an amazing trip, and everything we had hoped for, well, maybe a Mustang.

Here’s a link to some of the photos from the trip. https://www.flickr.com/photos/94449415@N02/albums/72157659121536322
#911279 by Bretty
08 Oct 2015, 16:38
Brilliant, thank you. Really enjoyed it, and what lovely photos. I've no interest in visiting LA but we'll be having 4 nights in Vegas next year on our SFO trip. I'm interested to know what Monterey Aquarium is like as we're considering a day trip.

Thanks again for the TR.
#911280 by pjh
08 Oct 2015, 18:05
Thanks for the TR, brought back some happy memories (though your venues and eateries, diners aside, were slightly more hi-tone than ours) and suggested some things to do when I persuade MrsPJH that another West Coast trip would be a good use of miles. Didn't you find Hearst Castle a little....odd?

Mustang's really aren't worth the bother. No, really, the drive up from SFO to Seattle in a brand new red one only turned heads a few times in a few towns. Mostly because of my driving, probably, but they deserve to be revved to the max and made to squeal their tyres. Some idiot drove into it one night (and then away, sharpish). Luckily I'd taken every insurance under the sun and when I mentioned the damage in Seattle they didn't want so see it, just shrugged and said "you're covered"....

@Bretty - if I recall correctly your other half had not interest in visiting US cities at all. Look and learn from him. :) Unlike Randy Newman I don't love LA, but it is worth the experience the once....
#911287 by mrsw
08 Oct 2015, 20:09
Bretty wrote:Brilliant, thank you. Really enjoyed it, and what lovely photos. I've no interest in visiting LA but we'll be having 4 nights in Vegas next year on our SFO trip. I'm interested to know what Monterey Aquarium is like as we're considering a day trip.

We enjoyed our time in the Aquarium, but don't think that on its own, it's worth a day trip from SFO. It wasn't quite as big as I was expecting (though having been to one in Dubai perhaps my sense of scale had been impaired), and everything was behind glass (including the penguins and the otters, who I'd have liked to meet "in-person"), but the live feeding programmes were pretty interesting and well-done.

On the other hand, if you would like to do the 17-mile drive, and see Carmel as well, then a trip would be more worthwhile.

If you're going to be in Vegas, definitely go and see Absinthe! It's what they describe to be a bit of comedy, circus (think Cirque du Soleil), plus burlesque. We bought the tickets on the day for $96 (could've saved a couple more bucks had we read the Vegas magazine first, a copy of which was in our hotel room) from tix4tonight (who we didn't particularly enjoy dealing with, and weren't sure the discount they quoted was all that genuine), and avoided the front rows as we didn't want to be pulled onto stage... Do check out the reviews but we both had a blast. It was probably the highlight of our time in Vegas. :cool:
#911288 by mrsw
08 Oct 2015, 20:21
pjh wrote:Thanks for the TR, brought back some happy memories (though your venues and eateries, diners aside, were slightly more hi-tone than ours) and suggested some things to do when I persuade MrsPJH that another West Coast trip would be a good use of miles. Didn't you find Hearst Castle a little....odd?

Mustang's really aren't worth the bother. No, really, the drive up from SFO to Seattle in a brand new red one only turned heads a few times in a few towns. Mostly because of my driving, probably, but they deserve to be revved to the max and made to squeal their tyres. Some idiot drove into it one night (and then away, sharpish). Luckily I'd taken every insurance under the sun and when I mentioned the damage in Seattle they didn't want so see it, just shrugged and said "you're covered"....

@Bretty - if I recall correctly your other half had not interest in visiting US cities at all. Look and learn from him. :) Unlike Randy Newman I don't love LA, but it is worth the experience the once....

Thanks! All the eateries were pretty good choices, as it turned out, though the vast majority of them had been thoroughly vetted thanks to tripadvisor prior to the trip. Hotel-wise, we had a few luxury stays (in our minds anyway), with quite a few nights of more basic accommodation in between (the first 2 HIX wouldn't have been my choice had it not been for that IHG promotion), which I think made us appreciate the luxury ones even more.

Yep, Hearst Castle was very odd, and what we called "crazy" when we were there. It was quite an unexpected surprise though, and pretty incredible.

Thank you for the Mustang comments. They do make me feel better. I think not being given one only meant that I wanted one more!
#911289 by mrsw
08 Oct 2015, 20:25
Eggtastico wrote:Tip for Wall-Mart
Hunt out a cool box (polystyrene are less than $5) & grab some ice behind the cashier tills.
Keep them chocs & drinks cool :cool:

Great tip - we were thinking about packing a cool box actually (for the national parks mainly) but didn't because I wanted to pack light (so that the luggage would fit in the boot of the car). Maybe for the next road trip :D
#911294 by Hev60
08 Oct 2015, 22:03
Hi, what a wonderful detailed trip report which made enjoyable reading.

I feel like you do about San Fransisco, yes there are some very nice tourist attractions but once seen, I have no desire to return. I feel the same way about Las Vegas, it does nothing for me. The Bellagio was a great place to stay and we went to see Celine Dion (I'd go back just for the night to see her again and again). I honestly don't understand the gambling bit either. I think the Grand Canyon is somewhere that needs more than just a few hours. We didn't have long enough there either and it's a long drive. We did it from Scotsdale and it was a long way. Agree about New York - it's my favourite city in the world and I live in London !!!!

The rest of your road trip sounded well planned and organised. You certainly explored many different places along the Californian coast. Glad you got to see the Big Sur coastline, that ocean lives up to its name ie the Pacific Blue on a sunny day I bet.

Your photo album has lovely pics and shows what lovely weather you had. We are envious!

Hope your return flight was as good as your outbound journey.

Time to plan your next trip :cool:
#911297 by ScoobySu
08 Oct 2015, 22:48
Mrsw

What a fantastic trip - and such a wonderful detailed report - thank you!

Hubby and I had a choice of a Mustang or a Camaro at Dollar in LAX - he chose the Camaro and loved it but wants a V8 next time!

I agree about San Fransisco - I so wanted to be overwhelmed by it but it was just another city to us - but that could well be that we literally only had 24 hours there thanks to our return flight being merged into the VS020. Maybe I should think again ;-)

I love Vegas - we don't gamble either other than the penny slots - but on our first visit back in 2000 the sheer size of the hotels was amazing - and hubby & I still remember the noise in the casino themselves was completely overwhelming :-O
#911358 by TimCrawley
09 Oct 2015, 21:31
Fantastic trip report & photos - thanks a lot for posting, the trip reports on the forum are a real highlight of the board (as well as a great source of ideas once a great value flight has been bagged following the tips elsewhere on the board).

Lots of interesting info there on places I haven't got to (or eaten at) on previous trips to the area - with yours and some of the other trip reports folks have posted it's likely to tempt me into booking a longer visit with outward to SFO or LAX and back from LAS when I go to LAS for a trade show at the start of March next year (I say trade show, but to be fair the NCB Show is a 3 day & 4 night party punctuated with some interesting seminars, if you can stay awake from exertions the night before, and some 'enforced' tastings on the show floor that make the next night's entertainment almost too much to face).

Did the Sunday lunch at Bellagio myself with some friends who live in Vegas when I was there in August and have to say we usually pull the 'late lunch' trick there and also at Rio Carnival buffets as you get a few breakfast items still going, the full lunch menu and then towards the end out comes the dinner seafood etcetera (one of my friends has an OH and a Dad who are both real crab fans and simply love the Bellagio buffet for that when they don't insist we do the Rio Seafood buffet instead).

Sorry to hear you were under the weather at the start of the trip but certainly sounds like you both still had a fabulous holiday .... trouble is, as others say, it's going to be hard to get back to work without being distracted by the joys of planning your next trip!
#911360 by mrsw
09 Oct 2015, 21:52
Hev60 wrote:I feel like you do about San Fransisco, yes there are some very nice tourist attractions but once seen, I have no desire to return. I feel the same way about Las Vegas, it does nothing for me.

Time to plan your next trip :cool:

Ah I'm glad I'm not alone on the SFO front. My colleagues think I'm crazy to not like the city but I guess you can't force feelings :)

I have to confess that I'm already quite a way into my planning for the next 2 trips... Thailand in Jan and then Chicago + NYC in June (early 30th celebration for me!) That said, I'm still in my spreadsheet phase for those, and it's a while yet before they are turned into Word documents (or any colour coding!) :cool:
#911361 by mrsw
09 Oct 2015, 21:59
ScoobySu wrote:Hubby and I had a choice of a Mustang or a Camaro at Dollar in LAX - he chose the Camaro and loved it but wants a V8 next time!

I agree about San Fransisco - I so wanted to be overwhelmed by it but it was just another city to us - but that could well be that we literally only had 24 hours there thanks to our return flight being merged into the VS020. Maybe I should think again ;-)

I love Vegas - we don't gamble either other than the penny slots - but on our first visit back in 2000 the sheer size of the hotels was amazing - and hubby & I still remember the noise in the casino themselves was completely overwhelming :-O

That's great that you got the choice. How was the service at LAX, by the way? This was our only experience with Dollar so far and we don't rate it. The price, though, was unbeatable.

Ha, another one to be unsure about SFO. We had 2 very brief visits now and it hadn't changed our opinion, but part of me still thinks that it's because we didn't give it the time it deserves. With some places (for example, Hong Kong, I hear), apparently you will only really appreciate once you've been there for a week or more. Maybe it's one of those slow burners?

I'm sitting on the fence with Vegas, whereas the hubby likes it less. We have agreed that we would visit it again if it provided a good base for "excursions". The thing is, where else would we be able to afford a Four Seasons stay? :-P
#911363 by mrsw
09 Oct 2015, 22:04
TimCrawley wrote:Lots of interesting info there on places I haven't got to (or eaten at) on previous trips to the area - with yours and some of the other trip reports folks have posted it's likely to tempt me into booking a longer visit with outward to SFO or LAX and back from LAS when I go to LAS for a trade show at the start of March next year (I say trade show, but to be fair the NCB Show is a 3 day & 4 night party punctuated with some interesting seminars, if you can stay awake from exertions the night before, and some 'enforced' tastings on the show floor that make the next night's entertainment almost too much to face).

Did the Sunday lunch at Bellagio myself with some friends who live in Vegas when I was there in August and have to say we usually pull the 'late lunch' trick there and also at Rio Carnival buffets as you get a few breakfast items still going, the full lunch menu and then towards the end out comes the dinner seafood etcetera (one of my friends has an OH and a Dad who are both real crab fans and simply love the Bellagio buffet for that when they don't insist we do the Rio Seafood buffet instead).

Glad to be of use :cool:

Your trip sounds fab. Enjoy your jolly :-P :-D

The late lunch trick is amazing! We basically paid something like $24 each for an amazing buffet including crab legs, kobe beef, and unlimited soft drinks! We were surprised by how long the queue was at the buffet at 2:35pm! If and when we go back to Vegas - we are so doing that again!
#911370 by Bretty
10 Oct 2015, 00:58
As you know we loved SFO, and decided to return next year, 2 x 5 night blocks with 4 nights in LAS in between. Quite a few things we didn't get around to, partly because we don't like to pack our days, we're lazy leisurely tourists, and partly because we (read I) shopped a lot and some things dropped off the itinerary because of Macy's 6 storey men's store! And then we found a little craft market at the bottom end of California on Embarcadero.

Anyway, mrsw thanks for the info on Monterey aquarium, I'm going to need to do some research.
Happy travels everyone :cool:
#911396 by ScoobySu
10 Oct 2015, 18:25
mrsw wrote:That's great that you got the choice. How was the service at LAX, by the way? This was our only experience with Dollar so far and we don't rate it. The price, though, was unbeatable.

Ha, another one to be unsure about SFO. We had 2 very brief visits now and it hadn't changed our opinion, but part of me still thinks that it's because we didn't give it the time it deserves. With some places (for example, Hong Kong, I hear), apparently you will only really appreciate once you've been there for a week or more. Maybe it's one of those slow burners?

I'm sitting on the fence with Vegas, whereas the hubby likes it less. We have agreed that we would visit it again if it provided a good base for "excursions". The thing is, where else would we be able to afford a Four Seasons stay? :-P

I've just re-looked at the confirmation and it was actually Alamo booked through the Virgin website :blush: Service was fine - we were there at 8.00 am in the morning and as "Virgin Holiday" customers had priority service. The cars themselves however were a bit battered - the Enterprise section upstairs was much fresher!

I'm not sure if we would spend another visit to SFO - but never say never - as I am tempted to persuade hubby to drive to LA!

Vegas is very much a marmite place - we love it for its over the topness but absolutely hate Fremont Street - we went for the first time in 15 years this year and immediately got back on the bus to return to the sanctity of the Strip and the Bellagio!
#911411 by Maximus
11 Oct 2015, 06:24
Thank you mrsw for a fantastic trip report. I really enjoyed reading it as it brought back many happy memories of previous Californian trips and also I was interested on your take of Las Vegas as we will be visiting there for the first time in December. I know I shall either love it ot hate it, but after researching the trip for what seems like half of my life, I think it may be the former :-)

It is indeed a great base for trips to other places and we will be off to the Grand Canyon (South Rim) National park and also Death Valley whilst there. And of course the Hoover Dam.

Your comments on gambling amused me as I suspect if I got "into" gambling in Vegas I would lose my shirt (and home, savings and likely OH to boot!). So I have a small amount of money to play with on the two evenings we will be visiting Casinos (you have to at least try in once if visiting Vegas I think!). But that will be all. There are many more interesting things to do there than gamble though.

Absinthe has great reviews. We may go and see it but are seeing one CdS show (free tickets) and Showstoppers at The Wynn as well as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (big kid that I am) in London the night before we leave, so may be all "showed-out" but will see.

The photographs look fantastic. As does the car. Would love something like that on our next reoad trip :cool:

ScoobySu: was interested on your thoughts re: Freemenot Street. I have heard mixed reviews, mostly bad to be honest, and we have decided to not bother visiting Downtown at all. We have limited time in Vegas and Downtown does not sound like somewhere we would like. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Sorry you were not bowled over by SF mrsw. I loved, loved, loved the place when I have visited. i have not been for a good while now- not this millenium anyway. Maybe the city vibe has changed now Google and Apple have taken over? I spoke with some SF residents when in Japan this year and they felt this was partly the case. But i will return one day i hope.

LA on the other hand I have no desire to see again. Of all the trips over the yesr that has to be the most disappointing trip ever. I can recall little of it. All the main sights disappointed and the city had no soul, it was bland. But I appreciate others do like it!
#911426 by mrsw
11 Oct 2015, 15:52
Maximus wrote:Your comments on gambling amused me as I suspect if I got "into" gambling in Vegas I would lose my shirt (and home, savings and likely OH to boot!). So I have a small amount of money to play with on the two evenings we will be visiting Casinos (you have to at least try in once if visiting Vegas I think!). But that will be all. There are many more interesting things to do there than gamble though.

The "you have to at least try it once if visiting Vegas" was in fact why we gave gambling a go ;-) We did have a fixed amount of cash to play with, but when it swiftly disappeared I may have suggested trying using my debit/credit cards in the machines... So perhaps leave your wallet in your hotel rooms and just bring your gambling fund to the casinos if you are prone to getting addicted to these things...?

We tried blackjack, since the odds weren't quite as stacked against you. And as an accountant myself with a hubby who is an economist, we had spent quite a bit of time trying to work out the statistics behind it all which sort of made the whole thing even more fun 8-) but I appreciate that YMMV!
#911553 by Snora
13 Oct 2015, 09:58
Great Trip report ! We have also covered all of your trip destinations and can wholeheartedly recommend most of it. Like others say, San Fran is a 'go once' city. We did the evening visit to Hearst Castle complete with docents and felt that the visit was really enhanced by their presence and the lighting used. Cambria being a charming and really good location to visit from.

Staying in the Bellagio was the highlight of my last stay in Las Vegas. I can recommend a room high up with views of the fountains - never tire of those fountains !

We have just returned from yet another visit to the good old US of A and if you loved Yosemite then plan a visit sometime to Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon and Monument Valley. We picked up our Alamo rental in LAS, a 4x4, which we needed for some of the roads we eventually drove on eg. the Moki Dugway in Utah. Can highly recommend the R12 Scenic Byway en route from Bryce to MV and do take the ferry across Lake Powell if you have time.

Our final destination was Palm Springs for a week to chill out after all that driving - hitting parts of Route 66 being a highlight. But if I can plan it we will never , never fly in or out of LAX again. A drive of 123 mls, leaving PS at 6.30 am nearly turned into a 4.5 hr nightmare and a missed flight. if it hadn't been for the HOV lanes we would not have made it. They really need to move that airport !!
#911554 by pjh
13 Oct 2015, 10:17
mrsw wrote:The "you have to at least try it once if visiting Vegas" was in fact why we gave gambling a go ;-) We did have a fixed amount of cash to play with, but when it swiftly disappeared I may have suggested trying using my debit/credit cards in the machines... So perhaps leave your wallet in your hotel rooms and just bring your gambling fund to the casinos if you are prone to getting addicted to these things...?

Not sure about that. I don't mind watching a bit of morris dancing, but would I give it a go? I think not.

mrsw wrote:We tried blackjack, since the odds weren't quite as stacked against you. And as an accountant myself with a hubby who is an economist, we had spent quite a bit of time trying to work out the statistics behind it all which sort of made the whole thing even more fun 8-) but I appreciate that YMMV!

Ben Mezrich's "Bringing Down The House" is worth reading if you haven't already done so.
#911661 by sixpack
15 Oct 2015, 20:27
Thanks very much for posting such a detailed trip report and great photos.

Making much the same trip in May (minus LA) next year and have found the details in your report extremely useful and will use in my own itinerary.

This is such a good forum and using information gleaned from this site I have booked my first upper class flights (Ex Brussels) something that I would never have thought of if I had not found this site.

Thanks again

Dave
#911669 by mrsw
15 Oct 2015, 22:29
pjh wrote:Not sure about that. I don't mind watching a bit of morris dancing, but would I give it a go? I think not.

Ben Mezrich's "Bringing Down The House" is worth reading if you haven't already done so.

It was more of a "when in Rome..." attitude that I was referring to :-D

And as fascinating as that book sounds, I'm not sure what that would do to my "gambling addition"... :blush: I could just imagine the look on my hubby's face if he saw the cover of that book in the house - he would be swiftly changing all his PIN numbers and online banking passwords!
#911670 by mrsw
15 Oct 2015, 22:31
sixpack wrote:Thanks very much for posting such a detailed trip report and great photos.

Making much the same trip in May (minus LA) next year and have found the details in your report extremely useful and will use in my own itinerary.

This is such a good forum and using information gleaned from this site I have booked my first upper class flights (Ex Brussels) something that I would never have thought of if I had not found this site.

Thanks again

Dave

You are very welcome. If you look at the bottom of the page, for similar/related topics, you will find the thread from my planning stage, which included lots of helpful advice from many v-flyers.
#911846 by Smid
19 Oct 2015, 14:29
Maximus wrote:ScoobySu: was interested on your thoughts re: Freemenot Street. I have heard mixed reviews, mostly bad to be honest, and we have decided to not bother visiting Downtown at all. We have limited time in Vegas and Downtown does not sound like somewhere we would like. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

I'd not be taking advice from someone who walked off the bus, turned around, and walked back on the bus...

Fair enough if you visit the place and don't like it, but its a 30 min bus journey and a walk about. To me its much more original vegas than the sanitised malls of the strip. It's got an hourly show, ziplines, multiple stages of live music most nights, real bars, cheap drinks and the type of place you'll get cheap prime rib. Next time I stay half my trip in Main Street Station, with its cheap craft beer, and free buffet included for the price of £28 a night. You'll be paying that in resort fees in other parts of vegas (no resort fee there).

A few years ago a bit of it wasn't very well lit, and people mistakenly and naively thought that they'd get stabbed if they walked like two steps away from the bright bit, but even that isn't even true anymore on the lighting, never mind the total idiocy of that thinking, it's close to a heavily secured area of vegas and you'll more likely be robbed or ripped off outside of Paris or Planet Hollywood...

I'm not sure where you read the bad reviews of it, and in general what would constitute 'bad reviews' of a whole area of town, but you're missing a pretty cool and vital bit of vegas if you dismiss it like that. Most unfairly.
#911853 by Hev60
19 Oct 2015, 18:35
Smid wrote:
I'd not be taking advice from someone who walked off the bus, turned around, and walked back on the bus...

Fair enough if you visit the place and don't like it, but its a 30 min bus journey and a walk about. To me its much more original vegas than the sanitised malls of the strip. It's got an hourly show, ziplines, multiple stages of live music most nights, real bars, cheap drinks and the type of place you'll get cheap prime rib. Next time I stay half my trip in Main Street Station, with its cheap craft beer, and free buffet included for the price of £28 a night. You'll be paying that in resort fees in other parts of vegas (no resort fee there).

A few years ago a bit of it wasn't very well lit, and people mistakenly and naively thought that they'd get stabbed if they walked like two steps away from the bright bit, but even that isn't even true anymore on the lighting, never mind the total idiocy of that thinking, it's close to a heavily secured area of vegas and you'll more likely be robbed or ripped off outside of Paris or Planet Hollywood...

I'm not sure where you read the bad reviews of it, and in general what would constitute 'bad reviews' of a whole area of town, but you're missing a pretty cool and vital bit of vegas if you dismiss it like that. Most unfairly.

To be fair ScoobySu was passing an opinion on a particular area of LV and to be honest I agree you do not need to spend any time in an area just to judge whether it is to your likely or not. We did not even get out of the cab that took us up there :-O. We too said 'No thanks take us back down to the Bellagio'.

My friend also loves the Freemont area, but personally - in my opinion - it looked very loud and tacky with lots of cheap bars, shows etc. However as ScoobySu pointed out "Vegas is very much a marmite place" which I assume means there's bits you like and bits you don't like. I don't like any of it and give me Disneyworld any day :-D but it wouldn't do for us all to have the same opinion.
Virgin Atlantic