For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#911263 by Maximus
08 Oct 2015, 11:41
We are thinking of using Uber to transport us from Heathrow to Central London and back on our next trip, as we are spending a couple of nights in town before we head off to Vegas. I have never used them before.

There seem to be different types of car you can request X, XL, Exec, Lux, Taxi. I cannot find anything online that tells me what each category of car actually is. There are 2 passengers and likely 3 medium/large and 2 small carryon cases. Anyone used Uber who could advise?

Edit:

Scrub that, just found this:

UberX: The least expensive Uber service. Seats 4 riders. Drivers use everyday cars that are 2000 or newer
UberXL: Seats at least 6 passengers. An UberXL car will be an SUV or a Minivan. Higher fare price than UberX
UberEXEC: A luxury vehicle that seats up to 4 riders. Be expecting an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc with a leather interior
UberTAXI: Uber’s recently launched actual London Black Cab labelled as Uber

i guess we will need an XL
#911270 by joeyc
08 Oct 2015, 13:46
I've used Uber in many cities and countries - always a good ride and I would highly recommend them. Although, the main company that I use for my airport transfers is BlackLane; it is a prebook service, the cars are great and there is the added perk that they will be waiting for you as opposed to the other way around with Uber. They have a cool app too.

Uber is great as a taxi service in towns and cities, but for airport transfers I do prefer to prebook. YMMV of course.

UberX from LHR will probably be a Prius and I am not sure if it would fit all of your luggage comfortably. Of course it is possible, but the UberXL would be the safer bet.
#911673 by stuart_f
15 Oct 2015, 23:45
If you have never user Uber before there should be a ton of signup codes that will give you at least £15 off your first ride. This alone should make Uber (even if you have to hail an XL) cheaper than a taxi.

The problem with airports is that you miss the unique selling point of Uber in that they come to you wherever and whenever you want them without you having to stand on the pavement and wait (you can sit in a bar on a rainy night, hail and Uber and simply finish your drink while you wait for the "we've arrived" message). At an airport that's pretty redundant as there's an inexhaustible supply of cabs at all times.
#911678 by Petmadness
16 Oct 2015, 09:01
joeyc wrote:I've used Uber in many cities and countries - always a good ride and I would highly recommend them. Although, the main company that I use for my airport transfers is BlackLane; it is a prebook service, the cars are great and there is the added perk that they will be waiting for you as opposed to the other way around with Uber. They have a cool app too.

Never used Uber but I'm with you, Joey, about Blacklane for airport transfers. Great service, prices can be the same as a cab (was for my LAX-Santa Monica return trip) and smart cars with professional drivers. Must try Uber sometime though as I feel I'm missing out :-D