For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#911584 by Willowx
13 Oct 2015, 22:10
Hi all

Following the realisation that with the exception of a long weekend to Malta (highly recommended) on Ryanair (less than £100 return certainly no complaints from me!) the last time I flew for leisure (or with Virgin) was June 2014, so the combination of wanting to fly somewhere other than SAN in the back of a BA B772 and a very good price on a Z return ex-Dub to Boston in time for my birthday next June means I'm going on holiday. :-D

So in a rambling sort of way where I'm trying to get to with this post is that I'll need a hotel to stay at for 6 nights. I've not got a fixed budget but somewhere in the very broad budget of £100-200 works for me. The internet seems to imply that walking and public transport work well for getting around in Boston, so somewhere that will work for that so I don't have to hire a car would be good.

I have status with Hyatt due to work travel but am not really brand loyal. I'm travelling solo but don't think that should make a difference. I want a comfy bed, a shower, somewhere for breakfast (either included or somewhere simple nearby), clean, and quiet at night. I've had a look on trip advisor and it seems like there are plenty of possibles but nothing that really stands out. So any recommendations of where to stay (or even where to avoid) would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Willow
#911590 by tontybear
13 Oct 2015, 23:14
Boston does indeed have a good public transport system and is also very walkable.

A fee years ago I stayed in the Lenox right next to the public library and an iPhone toss from the apple store and the prudential centre. Not sure how it fits into your budget range though but I was very comfortable there.
#911591 by Bretty
13 Oct 2015, 23:20
Hotels in Boston, as in many places in the USA can be overpriced. We stayed last year at the Revere which was well placed, but it was more than your budget. I tried and tried to get under £200 per night but couldn't. We got a small suite though on a high floor and in spite of the fact the place has a nightclub, our position meant it was quiet, and it was a lovely hotel. Our second choice was the Omni, and having stayed at the Omni in San Francisco I can highly recommend the brand.
#911596 by Eggtastico
14 Oct 2015, 07:12
If you know how to manipulate priceline, I would give that a go.
Boston is a great city with a good public transport + it's small enough to walk around.

I stayed in the Westin out by the conference centre. A little out of the way, but the public transport is quick & efficient + it only cost me £85 a night via priceline. I pretty much knew it would be the Westin before naming my price. I was paying £200 though, I think I would want to be a bit more central.

You can check the hotels amenities & tripadvisor score to narrow it down.

To give you an example...
I just done a quick look on express deals.
There is 1x 5* hotel in the Harbour Waterfront for £185 a night
Trip Advisor 9+
Amenities Pets, Gym (plus the usual business centre, gym, restaurant as you would expect in a 5*)
£186 a night

Click on list view
select 5* harbour waterfront
There is 3 hotels showing, all 9+ on tripadvisor
Check Amenities - there is only 1 that allows pets.
Battery Wharf Hotel listed for £229 a night

So the unnamed hotel for £186 will more than likely be the Battery Wharf & just saved over £40 a night!

This is where I would go name my own deal as we know there is only 1 hotel available.
Select Water Harbourfront
Select 5 Star
& put in a price you hope to snag it for! You can only try once, then either wait a few hours to try again, or you have to alter your search parameters - which is not a good idea if you want to stay in a specific location.

Only downside, you may not get the best room by not booking direct.
#911631 by Willowx
14 Oct 2015, 18:36
Thanks for all the responses, The Lenox is certainly a possibility it is coming in at about £203 a night so would certainly be doable.

Thanks for the Priceline idea and info, looking at that hotel for the dates that I'm interested in it comes out at £169 on the Express deal. I'm going to have a look into the name your own price feature. I recall reading about it quite a lot a few year back but have never actually used it.
#911632 by Blacky1
14 Oct 2015, 20:59
Thoroughly recommend the Liberty hotel , the old county jail that has retained some of the original features , really enjoyed it there .
Also stayed at the revere like bretty and enjoyed that also
#912027 by Gavin
22 Oct 2015, 21:04
The Omni Parker is a great hotel, lots of history and charm inside and the freedom trail passes outside. The Boston Park Plaza is worth a look too. Both are right by the common.
#912113 by SlimpyJones
25 Oct 2015, 17:35
Have you considered AirBnB at all? I've been looking at it for Boston, NYC and the like and found some great deals on studio apartments and flats, if you fancied a little extra space.
Virgin Atlantic