For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#912158 by stevebrass
26 Oct 2015, 20:34
We have 11 days to spend on visiting this area next September. Any advice of what/where and so on would be gratefully received.

We like a bit of culture and also like natural beauty (beaches and so forth).

I know a very open question, but any help will be much appreciated.
#912163 by pjh
27 Oct 2015, 00:53
Stephen

How are you planning to get between the two cities? Drive or fly? And is it one way, into one city and out of the other?
#912182 by stevebrass
27 Oct 2015, 12:39
We fly into LA. We could drive or fly on to San Francisco. We fly out of SF (to Las Vegas)
#912190 by spacedog
27 Oct 2015, 13:27
I would drive between the two. Earlier this year we did a drive down the Pacific Coast Highway and it was such a highlight of our trip we're already planning to do it again in the not-too-distant future. The scenery is stunning, there's wildlife to see and you can stop off along the way at beautiful vistas along the ocean. Highly recommended! The drive can technically be done in one day, but we did it in a couple. We spent a night at the half way point in San Luis Obispo at the Madonna Inn (very kitsch!) which has a great restaurant. We were going from SF to LA, but either direction is great on this route. You could also stop and see Hearst Castle if your schedule permits, but do book in advance as the tours fill up fast.

We've been to LA a bunch of times but I still feel like I don't know the city well at all as you can't walk much there. It is great for food and shopping. We usually stay in Malibu and it's very pretty and relaxing looking out towards the ocean. I really love San Francisco, it's just a great city to walk around and discover great food. We really enjoyed visiting the Disney Family Museum on our last trip.
#912192 by gumshoe
27 Oct 2015, 13:32
Agreed - the drive up the coast on Highway 1 between San Luis Obispo and Monterey is stunning (although not fast - like Spacedog we did it over 2 days but we spent the night at a perfectly decent Best Western Plus right on the beach in San Simeon which is the last place of any size before the really beautiful coastal stretch).

I'd recommend spending some time in Santa Barbara as well - if you leave LA early-ish on day 1 you should be there in good time for lunch before continuing north.
#912194 by pjh
27 Oct 2015, 14:38
Mrsw's recent TR here contains many ideas and recommendations. For me the top tips would be;

1. Santa Monica / Venice Beach
3. Hearst Castle
3. Cable car ride
4. Alcatraz night tour (prebooking essential)
5. Take care if you do the drive north in the late afternoon. Though the setting sun can be wonderful for passengers, it can be hell for the driver.
#912241 by stevebrass
28 Oct 2015, 21:16
Lots of good advice guys - thank you all!

What is the Pacific Highway like? I don't mind twisty roads but I am not very keen on roads that cling to the side of hills if you see what I mean.
#912244 by casey0999
28 Oct 2015, 21:48
The Pacific Coast Highway (Route 1) up to Monterey and Carmel is not to be missed! One of the most beautiful drives out here in the west. Not too twisty, no cliff-hanging, and very little development outside of the towns. Try to avoid the weekend though.

Have a stop a Nepenthe restaurant in Big Sur. A real tourist trap, with loads of trinkets for sale and over-priced food, but having even a small meal to experience the view is well worth it!

Read up on the TripAdvisor web site for more info on nice places to stop.
#912457 by Smid
02 Nov 2015, 15:04
As an alternative, you can get between LA and SF on Amtrak, with coastal views most of the way up. Takes 8 hours. About $55 per person, but can get a two person compartment for like $100 each, which includes meals onboard.

Takes about 8 hours.

Clearly if you drive, you can take your time and things and see the whole coast (Amtrak goes inland at San Luis Obispo), but it's a fun route... Can get off at San Jose, and stay there if you want, and get Caltrain into SF, or go into SF via the bus from Oakland (costs like $2 more to go to centre of SF vs San Jose).
#912610 by stevebrass
05 Nov 2015, 10:37
Thanks - that's a good option.
#912621 by Eggtastico
05 Nov 2015, 14:42
nothing wrong with the roads on route 1. Can be a bit hilly in places, but not twisting or cliff hugging.
Quite a long drive, so make sure you got snacks n things incase you're pushed for time.
There is a 17 mile scenic drive in Monterey that leads to Pebble Gof Beach (right by the 18th hole) & also a world famous aquarium.
Virgin Atlantic