For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#912388 by Concorde RIP
01 Nov 2015, 13:00
Just some random thoughts and a request for folks to look out for changes at Turtle Beach.

Not going to do TRs for my BA flights – out in WTP back in CW – these flights were just as expected and uneventful, just how I like it.

Firstly, Turtle Beach Resort. – Having stayed there 10 times now, I was immediately struck by the big changes to the beach. One pleasure about the TB is the incredibly easy and safe access to the beach, I have spent many a happy hour swimming and bobbing around in the swells off that beach.

Sea weed aside (which wasn’t too bad and is a natural, unavoidable phenomenon), the beach appeared to have shrunk and the entry to the sea completely rocky and stony now.

The actual distance from top of beach to water (regardless of tides) seems much shorter than on previous trips.

The shallows out to where the waves no longer break used to be quite sandy and pleasant to walk on – ok, there was the odd patch of stone and occasional rocks, but this time….

There was hardly a grain of sand in sight. In fact, it was totally rocky and stony and extremely uncomfortable to walk on with rocks moving under foot and your shins getting battered by moving stones in the breakers – some of these rocks/stones were also quite sharp.

It was very noticeable that very few guests were venturing into the sea there…

If anyone else goes to Turtle Beach in the coming weeks/months, I’d love to get feedback on whether this situation persists and eases.

(And, I think it has to do with a break water that the new Sandals resort has erected…).

Need to say though, that the staff, service and food at TB remains absolutely top notch.

Some other points…

During our stay, we did a couple of different things that I like to recommend to fellow V-Flyers.

Firstly, we elected to take an open jeep safari around the island this time having never done it before – and what huge fun it was.

It’s a large jeep with open sides seating up to 10 or so, and the driver we had was great fun and very knowledgeable. They also tend to drive “aggressively” which makes the whole experience quite a thrill including some off-road sections.

A good tour with lunch at the Sugarcane Club – I can highly recommend this.

Next, some friends were also in Barbados at the same time, and asked us to join them on a private cruise with Good Times cruises. This was a really enjoyable day and I can highly recommend Good Times – really nice little boat, very clean, and the guys who run it are fantastic. They will essentially tailor the cruise as you go – Barbados style!

Another day, we went to the Boatyard – a beautiful beach with inflatables teathered about 30 yards offshore, a jetty with jump off points and a rope swing (that you let go of and plunge into the sea). A really great day out, especially if you have children!

You pay an entrance fee that is a little like a tab – for as you buy drinks/food, it gets debited from your tab and you pay the difference if you spend more – quite reasonable actually and a brilliant day out.

Well, so ends another trip to the beautiful island, but I am growing concerned at the erosion and change in the coastline down at TB – am now starting to look at alternatives.

Anyone stayed at Colony Club? Thoughts?

Oh yes, and another first for me. Was out with Tiami cruises and whilst bubbing around, minding my own business at the turtle stop off, one decided to pop up and bite my toe! Quite a surprise since I always stay a respectful distance from them during the feeding and greeting! No harm done, but quite a starling moment nevertheless!

Finally, for those that haven’t visited, we also had a terrific meal at the Tides restaurant, great food and a lovely ambience – I can highly recommend it.

TTFN

PS – by tradition (for me), visited Concorde at the airport between checkin and going airside – always brings a tear to the eye and it’s well worth a visit.
#912395 by marshy11
01 Nov 2015, 16:19
Thank you so much for this.

We last visited Turtle Beach before Sandals arrived, Summer 2013. I have watched with interest at how it might impact as the locals are very vocal about it all…..

We are off to Sugarcane in three weeks, it will be our first time 'away' from the beach on a Caribbean island, but felt the TA reviews worthy of making a visit. I'm glad your lunch and tour was favourable, I hope the hotel impressed? Please tell….

I shall certainly look at your other recommends too.
#912475 by hunterdwmgzt
02 Nov 2015, 21:16
We too have stayed at Turtle Beach many times and yes, the beach area has certainly eroded over the last few years. I'm not sure whether the breakwater at Sandals has made it worse or not, as it was eroding anyway. One thing for sure, they have destroyed a beautiful stretch of beach in front of Sandals with all the building and construction work. It was absolutely horrendous this year and I really do feel the Bajan authorities should not have allowed this to happen. I used to walk that beach and witness numerous turtle tracks every morning, where they had come ashore to lay eggs. This year, not a single one in a whole fortnight. So much for nature conservation. :-( . I just hope that when they finish, they will restore the beach to how it used to be, but I wont hold my breath.
#912526 by LucyLu
03 Nov 2015, 18:30
I wouldn't worry too much about the beach, they do tend to come and go over the years and if the erosion has been happening for a while then it is unlikely the breakwater at Sandals that is causing it. We stay down at Coral Mist now and the beach there has changed dramatically in the 10 years I've been going there. At one point it washed away to such an extent that you couldn't have a lounger on the beach at high tide because the sea was coming right up to the wall and loads of rocks were exposed. It has now come back naturally and it lovely and wide again.

Just one question - Are they building the breakwater so that you can still walk all along the beach, or is this an attempt to make the beach "private" for their own guests?

I used to stay at Casuarina for many years and am totally saddened by what Sandals have done to the plot and the trees next to it. It used to be such a beautiful area with lovely plants and trees.
#912542 by hunterdwmgzt
03 Nov 2015, 21:50
Yes, I think you should still be able to walk right along the beach, but there are lots of large rocks now and sandals sun beds have spread almost down to the waters edge. It's not a private beach, but probably as close as they could get. I was also told they brought tonnes of artificial sand in in front of sandals. The result is its much harder and coarser than it used to be and its certainly not the long sweeping sandy beach it used to be.
#912571 by LucyLu
04 Nov 2015, 17:04
That's a shame, the sand on that beach used to be beautifully fine. I guess the sea will eventually do its magic and grind it down.

I remember back in 1989 when I first went to the island, Sandals were trying to buy the plot of land where the Four Seasons was supposed to be built, and then pulled out because they couldn't have a private beach. It did make me wonder whether they would try to make it difficult for anyone but guests to get onto the beach now.
#912695 by Concorde RIP
06 Nov 2015, 22:10
Marshy - we only had lunch at the Sugarcane Club, outside. To be honest, it was standard "tour lunch" fare of chicken/fish and rice/peas - and was reasonable.

In terms of the beach, the TB section has been gradually changing over the years, and will no doubt continue to do so.

However, we were there in July as well as October this year, and the difference was shocking - this isn't gradual change, it's a total change in 3 months.

I agree with others that the effect on the turtles is a big worry...given the apparent love of the turtles and their welfare, I am struggling to understand how Sandals is getting away with the changes they are making - or, perhaps I'm not given how wealthy that organisation is...
Virgin Atlantic