For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#912711 by Concorde RIP
07 Nov 2015, 15:35
Considering a trip to NF as part of an upcoming tour.

Obviously, I can do research and check out TA etc, but have any fellow V-Flyers visited and would care to pass on any tips/advice?

Any thoughts on hotels/tours/attractions would be very much appreciated.

This would also help me to work out how long we should plan on staying there (at the present, I have 2 or 3 days in mind).

Many thanks in advance,
#912725 by Eggtastico
07 Nov 2015, 18:50
Clifton Hill is like Blackpool on steroids....
I stayed Canada side, but chose the maid in the mist & cave of winds excursions which are on the USA side (both excellent!) - We arrived early to beat all the queues! - We got on the 2nd boat in the morning with no queues. By the time we got back, Queues was already starting to build + by the time we got to cave of the winds, we had about a 30min+ wait.
We walked from our Hotel over Rainbow bridge (you need some change to get through the barrier to walk over) into USA for the excursions.
Canada I found quite reasonable priced (about $2CDN to £1)
We only spent 2 nights there (arriving early evening).

I know Niagara on the Lake is supposed to be fantastic & some other places around that area.

One tip.. if your looking for a Canada Goose Coat then they are about 1/2 the price!
#912727 by hazban
07 Nov 2015, 19:08
Couple of nights should do it! We stayed at the Embassy Suites on the Canadian side and the view from the room was to die for, just like the pictures on the postcards.
You have to do Maid of The Mist and the tour behind the falls because that is what everyone does :-O
Niagra on the Lake is most certainly worth a visit and the drive there is interesting, Ice Wine vineyards worth a stop. We later went on to London, Ontario where the locals advised against crossing over to Detroit! :-( However this was some years ago and Virgin now seem to consider it a safe destination?
#912735 by Bretty
07 Nov 2015, 22:22
I've only done a day trip there, maid of the mist (which was brilliant btw), a bit of walk around the small town, lunch at the Sheraton with a view, then on to do the helicopter flight over the falls (expensive but worth it), and then we went into wine country and stopped off at a vineyard for some sampling of various tipples, and back to Toronto for the evening,
#912738 by tontybear
08 Nov 2015, 01:23
Have been to Niagara a few times as a day trip from Toronto using VIA rail as the timings worked out for a day trip. I got the train from Toronto then walked down the parkway to see the gorge and the falls. Have done the MotM and the behind the falls trip too. With getting something eat and the walk back it filled in the day as it's quite a long walk but all on the flat.

One time I did stay over night on a Sunday at the Sheraton on the Falls hotel (not the falls view) which was really nice located just next to the Queen Victoria Park. Had a good view of the light and fire works show they have over the falls on certain days of the week.

This was the trip when I had a walk in the main town which I regretted as it's as tacky as tacky can me. The area along the gorge and the falls is a national park so protected from development.

On the Monday I got a mini van to Niagara on the Lake for a walk around the pretty town and environs. The van driver even stored my bag in the van during the day as she did her other runs. On the way back she dropped me back at the station too.

I don't know what the US side is like though.

And like others I partook in a wine tasting in Niagara on the Lake and bought some ice wine which was delicious.
#912745 by Snora
08 Nov 2015, 10:36
I too can recommend NOTL (Niagara on the Lake) as the place to be located. a lovely little town, with some great B&Bs in period homes, plenty of restaurants and close to many good vineyards. Worth 3 days stay there with a half day trip to Niagara Falls. I loved the Falls but an hour there and we were done.
#912751 by mallin
08 Nov 2015, 11:15
Also toying with a trip in the future to Niagra Falls, hubby not keen on going into Detroit although there is plenty of availability. WE have just enough Virgin miles left for an UC reward each. What time of year would be best to go, does not have to be the fall. Linda
#912754 by Concorde RIP
08 Nov 2015, 11:21
Some great input - thanks everyone.

I'm getting a picture of perhaps 2 nights staying in NotL with a full day to do the "essentials" and perhaps take in some the natural beaty spots...really, the main objective is to witness the falls themselves and avoid all tackiness (as far as possible).

Considering starting my travels there, so maybe fly in to YYZ and hen launch down into the US afterwards...
#912768 by tontybear
08 Nov 2015, 14:16
mallin wrote:Also toying with a trip in the future to Niagra Falls, hubby not keen on going into Detroit although there is plenty of availability. WE have just enough Virgin miles left for an UC reward each. What time of year would be best to go, does not have to be the fall. Linda

My visits have varied from April to September. In the April (1990) there was still ice in the river but the MOTM was operating. June was warmer. September had the advantage of the fall leaves changing.

You might want to factor in the MOTM schedule though. For example this year the USA season ran from 1st May to 8th November and on the Canadian side from 30th April to 29th November.
#912769 by mallin
08 Nov 2015, 14:38
Thanks for that Tonty only just thinking about it as it would not be till 2017, did no think about MOTM timings, hubby would like to go in September for the leaves turning, but I think it may be May/June, Vegas usually wins for the Autumn.
Linda
#912910 by Eggtastico
09 Nov 2015, 21:51
mallin wrote:Also toying with a trip in the future to Niagra Falls, hubby not keen on going into Detroit although there is plenty of availability. WE have just enough Virgin miles left for an UC reward each. What time of year would be best to go, does not have to be the fall. Linda

Would NYC & internal flight to Buffalo be a better option?
#912996 by Snora
10 Nov 2015, 17:01
Concorde RIP wrote:Some great input - thanks everyone.

I'm getting a picture of perhaps 2 nights staying in NotL with a full day to do the "essentials" and perhaps take in some the natural beaty spots...really, the main objective is to witness the falls themselves and avoid all tackiness (as far as possible).

Considering starting my travels there, so maybe fly in to YYZ and hen launch down into the US afterwards...

We flew into YYZ and within 90 mins were in NOTL. Being located near MAN though we flew direct with Air Transat, they have vastly improved their offer over the last few years and we use their Club option, with only 12 seats in the cabin. equivalent to PE.
Virgin Atlantic