For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#912903 by slinky09
09 Nov 2015, 21:10
Question for all who frequent the Hilton Gatwick - I've never been there but recall lots of TRs with pre-flight stays, is it worth booking an Executive floor room or not? I've got HH points to burn so doesn't bother me if I do, but what are the evening drinks like and is the breakfast decent?

Thanks
#912904 by buns
09 Nov 2015, 21:24
I would say a confident "Yes".

The Exec Floor Rooms are in the new wing and the rooms a lot more up to date than the rest of the place.

As Exec Lounges go, it can get very busy and I have had better things on offer elsewhere.

buns
#912912 by hiljil
09 Nov 2015, 22:09
I agree with buns. The newer rooms are much nicer. The executive lounge is a poor relation to some I've been in though I had a very nice afternoon tea there last time and the drink selection is not bad. I would wait for breakfast in the CH if travelling with VS but not if I was going to the BA lounge !!
#912913 by jfenney
09 Nov 2015, 22:37
Slinky I was there last night. A big hearty yes from me :-D although this time skipped brekkie for the lounge brekkie
#912914 by David
09 Nov 2015, 23:19
Another yes - they are much nicer than the standard rooms.

The breakfast downstairs IE not in the exec lounge is fine, your type hilton affair, but would also add another in the Clubhouse :-D

David
#912916 by pjh
10 Nov 2015, 00:09
Evening drinks are fine, breakfast in the CH.
#912923 by slinky09
10 Nov 2015, 07:45
Thanks everyone. Done :grin:

hiljil wrote:I agree with buns. The newer rooms are much nicer. The executive lounge is a poor relation to some I've been in though I had a very nice afternoon tea there last time and the drink selection is not bad. I would wait for breakfast in the CH if travelling with VS but not if I was going to the BA lounge !!

Hiljil sadly not, SleazyJet to Krakow!
#912936 by Daffodil
10 Nov 2015, 09:51
Another vote for the executive room. Food and drink are quite acceptable in the lounge.
We will be staying there in 2 weeks time before our flight to Antigua.
#912948 by marshy11
10 Nov 2015, 11:26
Yes to the lounge, yes it's not the best, yes some rooms are tired, but we make FULL use of it. We will be there in two weeks in before our flight to Barbados. Daffodil, what day are you there?
#912952 by jfenney
10 Nov 2015, 12:01
Slinky one thing that reception did say when I booked in is that if you are a gold and above member and book one room lower they automatically upgrade you to executive so that would be the deluxe room if you want to save a few points
#912955 by marshy11
10 Nov 2015, 12:20
jfenney wrote:Slinky one thing that reception did say when I booked in is that if you are a gold and above member and book one room lower they automatically upgrade you to executive so that would be the deluxe room if you want to save a few points

I can vouch for this. We've been upgraded every time I've been (as Gold) including when we had a second room for teenagers - they were upgraded too. But it's only if you book direct with Hilton now.
#912999 by pjh
10 Nov 2015, 17:39
marshy11 wrote:
jfenney wrote:Slinky one thing that reception did say when I booked in is that if you are a gold and above member and book one room lower they automatically upgrade you to executive so that would be the deluxe room if you want to save a few points

I can vouch for this. We've been upgraded every time I've been (as Gold) including when we had a second room for teenagers - they were upgraded too. But it's only if you book direct with Hilton now.

Don't bank on it at any other Hilton though....
#913002 by marshy11
10 Nov 2015, 18:12
Daffodil wrote:Hi Marshy11
We will be there on the 25th.
Kind Regards
Daffodil

Will miss you by 2 days, we are there the 23rd.

Have a lovely time in Antigua, one of our most favourite of islands.
#913327 by Smid
17 Nov 2015, 13:10
hiljil wrote: I would wait for breakfast in the CH if travelling with VS but not if I was going to the BA lounge !!

I'd have a rifle through the bins rather than having breakfast at the BA Club lounge...
Virgin Atlantic