For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#913057 by SlimpyJones
11 Nov 2015, 16:54
Hi all,

I'm trying to think of somewhere to go for the Spring bank holiday next year to help towards the Au renewal. I'm thinking of 3-4 days in a new US city and am struggling a little to make up my mind. I'm thinking of places like Philadelphia, New Orleans, Toronto (yes I realise this is not in the US!), DC, Boston, to name a few.
Generally I'm looking more along the east coast, but would consider a midwest destination as well (I've done Chicago to death!). Am happy to take a DL connection, wouldn't say no to the extra TPs.

Simply put, if anyone has any input into the above places, or if you have a wildcard destination I'm very much open to suggestions. I've seen a couple of mentions of Tampa and Fort Myers lately, but I know very little about Florida (other than Orlando as a wee one).

Budget-wise... I'll probably hold off and wait for an Xmas/NY sale to bag a better deal, otherwise I'd be happy to pay up to £1,100-1,200.

Cheers!
SJ
#913059 by tontybear
11 Nov 2015, 17:37
I'm guessing that since you didn't mention NYC then it's off the list.

I'd suggest either BOS or DC. Both relatively compact and walkable cities but with reasonable public transport.

Both also have a good range of museums, siteseeing and shopping too.
#913067 by Concorde RIP
11 Nov 2015, 19:25
Well, depends on interests etc.

For example, I love live music, and blues/rock especially. For that reason, I'd rate Austin as a great place to visit - wall to wall music (on 6th street), and it's a university town, so lots of life and fun.

The bigger towns have plenty of the usual, but maybe consider something a little off the beaten track governed by your specific interests?
#913075 by Eggtastico
11 Nov 2015, 20:52
I think for 3 or 4 days Boston would be an ideal city.
It's small enough that getting around is quite easy, so you should have plenty to do/see in the city without much travel hassle.
You could always get out of boston & hit cape cod or travel upstate.

Really depends on what you want out of a break & what floats your boat.

Could always go the opposite direction to Dubai.
Not sure if I would want to fly much longer than 8 hours on a short break.
#913078 by Blacky1
11 Nov 2015, 20:58
Boston gets a big thumbs up from me , going in 3 weeks time for my 3rd visit
A great city with plenty to do for a few days
#913131 by seany
12 Nov 2015, 21:24
I know you said east coast, but i just did a quick 4 nights in SFO, and 4 nights is actually fine in terms of time available. I packed in so much, and there was really no issue of being tired from the outbound flight.

I'm biased as I just think SFO is the greatest place on earth, my favourite destination.
Virgin Atlantic