For all non-Virgin travel topics, with subforums for popular common themes.
#913231 by Maximus
15 Nov 2015, 11:43
Another utterly pointless but hopefully fun thread.

Last year Tripadvisor listed what they considered to be the Top 25 travel destinations in the World. They were:

Istanbul
Rome
London
Beijing
Prague
Marrakech
Paris
Hanoi
Siem Reap
Shanghai
Berlin
New York City
Florence
Buenos Aires
Barcelona
Saint Petersburg
Dubai
Chicago
Cape Town
Bangkok
Budapest
Sydney
Lisbon
Chiang Mai
San Francisco

So out of interest:

1. How many of the above destinations have you visited?
2. What was YOUR favourite desination out of these?
3. Which (if any!) have you not visited and would most like to?
4. What one destination would you recommend is added to the list that you have visited?
#913232 by Maximus
15 Nov 2015, 11:44
I shall start off:

Rome
London
Marrakech
Paris
Berlin
New York City
Florence
Barcelona
Bangkok
Sydney
Chiang Mai
San Francisco

Very difficult decision but today it is...Bangkok
Siem Reap
Without a doubt...Kyoto
Last edited by Maximus on 15 Nov 2015, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
#913235 by marshy11
15 Nov 2015, 12:58
1. A lowly 5, all more than once.
2. Paris. #prayforparis
3. I suppose it would be Sydney.
4. St Lucia. Surprised to see no Caribbean islands there.
#913239 by hiljil
15 Nov 2015, 14:16
Thirteen . :D
Couldn't pick a favourite. Liked different places for different reasons.
Yes, I suppose it would be Sydney of that list.

Am amazed Venice isn't there.
#913247 by Bretty
15 Nov 2015, 16:29
1. Only 4, although I was only in Budapest for a half day and I didn't see much other than a titty bar I got dragged into by a crazy work colleague and we then got thrown out! Am about to cross NYC off the list though.
2. SFO, really loved it (as did my hubby so it was a win-win).
3. Shanghai, Chicago, Bangkok, maybe Sydney.
4. Can't choose only one I'm afraid so - Kyoto, Tokyo, Miyajima, Vancouver, Skegness.
#913252 by gfonk
15 Nov 2015, 17:26
Bretty wrote:1. Only 4, although I was only in Budapest for a half day and I didn't see much other than a titty bar I got dragged into by a crazy work colleague and we then got thrown out! Am about to cross NYC off the list though.
4. Can't choose only one I'm afraid so - Kyoto, Tokyo, Miyajima, Vancouver, Skegness.

like it!!
I have only been to 5.
Favourite on that list would be NYC.
places to add to the list? im with maximus and bretty, kyoto(especially during the cherry blossom-only saw that once) and obviously Tokyo. was going to add Auckland but new zealand itself was great.
I have yet to do west coast USA so would like to see San Fran.
#913254 by Eggtastico
15 Nov 2015, 17:56

London
Prague
Paris
Berlin
New York City
Barcelona
Chicago
Budapest
San Francisco

So out of interest:
I love Prague (I've not been anywhere in Eastern Europe I have not liked)
Buenos Aires or St Petersberg - as I would love to see as many of the Tsar Faberge Eggs
4. What one destination would you recommend is added to the list that you have visited?
Moscow or Heviz
#913257 by pjh
15 Nov 2015, 18:18
Maximus wrote:Another utterly pointless but hopefully fun thread.

Istanbul
Rome
London
Paris
New York City
Barcelona
Chicago
Cape Town * next year
Sydney
San Francisco

So out of interest:

Difficult...Istanbul was an experience, and London always has something new...

Today, Hanoi.

Southwold.

#913258 by HokeyPokey
15 Nov 2015, 18:26
1. London (back there tomorrow - by train), Bangkok, Sydney, Paris, Prague, Florence
2. Sydney - partly because it is the furthest I've been from home - but I am about to trump that by connecting on to NZ having done NYE 2015 in Sydney (last big Avios blowout for a while...)
3. NYC - I'll be losing my "Virginity" in March and flying my first FC redemption - economy outbound (has to be done - unless some PE seats come up... ) and PE back with upgrade voucher.
4. Tokyo - everyone should go there once...

Thanks for the thread!
#913259 by Maximus
15 Nov 2015, 18:47
Bretty wrote: I didn't see much other than a titty bar I got dragged into by a crazy work colleague and we then got thrown out!

:-O

The mind boggles. What DID you do to get thrown out or should I not ask? :-P
#913262 by Eggtastico
15 Nov 2015, 19:26
Maximus wrote:
Bretty wrote: I didn't see much other than a titty bar I got dragged into by a crazy work colleague and we then got thrown out!

Lets hope its nothing like what you can get up to at Baghdad in Barcelona
#913264 by oldboy
15 Nov 2015, 20:35
I have visited 10 of the destinations listed

I am happy to visit anywhere but from the list both Buenos Aires& Sydney are included on my bucket list.

oldboy
#913268 by Bretty
15 Nov 2015, 22:41
gfonk wrote:
Bretty wrote:1. Only 4, although I was only in Budapest for a half day and I didn't see much other than a titty bar I got dragged into by a crazy work colleague and we then got thrown out! Am about to cross NYC off the list though.

like it!!
I have only been to 5.
Favourite on that list would be NYC.
places to add to the list? im with maximus and bretty, kyoto(especially during the cherry blossom-only saw that once) and obviously Tokyo. was going to add Auckland but new zealand itself was great.
I have yet to do west coast USA so would like to see San Fran.

HE LIVES!!
Need I say more? Like, where have you been?
#913269 by Bretty
15 Nov 2015, 23:00
Maximus wrote:

I didn't do anything. I don't sit that side of the church. :blush: I was trying to mind my business.
Neither did 4 of the other 7 in the group, including a dear friend who was in her 70s!!

One of the group pointed to our septuagenarian friend when a "dancer" got friendly, and said, and I quote, "no thanks I'm with my mother" in a thick South Wales accent. Another decided to tip one of the "dancers" which resulted in the rest swarming round him. Big mistake.

But no it was the crazy colleague who'd haggled us all in there, SHE got us all thrown out. And how? Well simple really, she started dancing with the girls, and tried slinking her way around the pole on the stage, at which point several men you wouldn't want to argue with appeared and bustled us out the club. We posed for a group photo in front. The rest of our larger tour group had all been shopping and to a cafe.

The Cafe New York is nice in Budapest though. We went there in the evening and had a fabulous night, good food, music, traditional folk dancing and not a scantily clad working girl in sight.
#913279 by RobL
16 Nov 2015, 11:44
London, Prague, Paris, Siem Reap, Berlin, New York City, Barcelona, Dubai, Bangkok, Sydney and San Francisco.
Favourite is difficult - Siem Reap the most recent (two weeks ago) the Cambodians are such a gracious people considering what happened there.
Of the remaining places I haven't visited I am going to have to say Hanoi - although there are plenty of other places not on the list I would prioritise.
To add to the list - Tokyo
#913283 by mrsw
16 Nov 2015, 13:16
Fun thread! For me:

11, will be 13 by mid next year and hopefully 14 to include Cape Town, as one of my friends is moving there shortly :cool:
Rome
London
Beijing
Prague
Paris
Shanghai
New York City
Barcelona
Dubai
Chicago (June 16)
Cape Town (hopefully 2016)
Bangkok (Jan 16)
Budapest
San Francisco

NYC. No competition in my mind.

Florence and Lisbon are high on my list.

4. What one destination would you recommend is added to the list that you have visited?[/quote]
Gonna have to go with Hawaii. It's a place like no other (certainly no other that I have been to).
#913296 by Daffodil
16 Nov 2015, 15:16
12 + 1 stopover at Lisbon airport ( If that counts )

I found Istanbul very interesting but holiday in Dubai 2 to 3 times a year so I guess that must be my favourite.

Would love to visit Sydney & the Seychelles.
#913313 by gfonk
16 Nov 2015, 21:26
Bretty wrote:HE LIVES!!
Need I say more? Like, where have you been?

lol lol
he lives!!!
the Gfonk is back!
its been an interesting couple of months but not enough to post here lol

To add to this thread, I would like to visit more of the far east, taipei etc
#913318 by Bretty
16 Nov 2015, 23:19
I'm keen to try Hong Kong, possible Shanghai, but not sure about the other half. Definitely need to go back to Canada, we've been thinking of Montreal.
#913324 by gfonk
17 Nov 2015, 00:46
Bretty wrote:I'm keen to try Hong Kong, possible Shanghai, but not sure about the other half. Definitely need to go back to Canada, we've been thinking of Montreal.

oh yes almost forgot about Canada.
After your trip the other year I would love to go back. those were some great PJs bretty lol
Virgin Atlantic